Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
RBR need to have someone in their pipeline that can grow into the 2nd seat i.e. replace Perez, which they currently don't have. Could risk it with RIC but I think Lawson is the better overall package between RIC, PER and TSU.
The idea that Ricciardo would be back in that main Red Bull seat is laughable, but also worrying as more stupid decisions have been made...
I guess he'll be sticking around in the sport as long as possible to try and redeem his name, but he doesn't have what it takes to be driving for a top team these days.

Edit: I always think it's harsh that they will allow him to waste that race seat, whereas De Vries was kicked in far less time. Have some consistency. Get him out. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The idea that Ricciardo would be back in that main Red Bull seat is laughable, but also worrying as more stupid decisions have been made...
I guess he'll be sticking around in the sport as long as possible to try and redeem his name, but he doesn't have what it takes to be driving for a top team these days.

Edit: I always think it's harsh that they will allow him to waste that race seat, whereas De Vries was kicked in far less time. Have some consistency. Get him out. :D
I assume it's a money thing, which is an unfortunate problem with the sport. De Vries probably didn't bring in any real sponsorship so it was easy to bin him.

Caporegime
I really believe he'd have scored more points than DR from the available races, if the team had supported him.

De Vries? I can't see any reason to believe that, he was potato. His basic problem was that he only got that seat because he appeared to show he could turn up and deliver when he stood in for Williams, and then performed like an ordinary rookie when he got a seat. Maybe he'd have gone on to have an ordinary career if he'd gone somewhere that kept him, but as it was he was just a seat blocker for Red Bull. Lawson, on the other hand, performed over multiple races even when dumped in at short notice and should have had a seat this year.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I assume it's a money thing, which is an unfortunate problem with the sport. De Vries probably didn't bring in any real sponsorship so it was easy to bin him.

They wouldn't be able to make much merchandise cash out of De Vries either (like they do with Perez from Mexican fans) as he's Dutch, Max is the merchandise revenue earner there

Last edited:
Soldato
They wouldn't be able to make much merchandise cash out of De Vries either (like they do with Perez from Mexican fans) as he's Dutch, Max is the merchandise revenue earner there
Exactly. Unfortunately wouldn't be massively different even if he was a great driver - ideally the driver would bring in a broader fanbase (from the teams perspective).
Lance Stroll signs for Aston Martin for 2025 and beyond. Does he know someone in the team or something?!
Sleeping with the boss. Honestly though, so sad that they extended his contract - what a waste.

Soldato
I was a bit of a stroll defender a few years ago.
I didn't think he was good but wasn't as bad as people said and showed pace every now and again.
He's fell off a cliff past few years though. I thought with Aston looking at entering into WEC, that it might be a bit of a confidence booster for him for a year or two in that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unsure, maybe got some special donor sitting in the background funding his lifestyle....
Could be! :D
Sleeping with the boss. Honestly though, so sad that they extended his contract - what a waste.
:eek: I suspect we would have heard about this already if true! ;)
I was a bit of a stroll defender a few years ago.
I didn't think he was good but wasn't as bad as people said and showed pace every now and again.
He's fell off a cliff past few years though. I thought with Aston looking at entering into WEC, that it might be a bit of a confidence booster for him for a year or two in that.
He did have some potential. Got pole for Turkey a few years ago? But he hasn't lived up to anywhere near his promise. We all know what happened to Massa after Hungary and he went downhill after that but what's happened to Lance that explains this downwards trend?

Caporegime
Honestly though, so sad that they extended his contract - what a waste.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand - having Lance in that seat is the only reason that Aston are being transformed into a team capable of fighting near the front. I'd rather have a mediocrity like Lance and another top team than a better driver in a backmarker.

Soldato
On the one hand, yes, on the other hand - having Lance in that seat is the only reason that Aston are being transformed into a team capable of fighting near the front. I'd rather have a mediocrity like Lance and another top team than a better driver in a backmarker.
As in whilst Lance's in the seat, it demonstrates that his father has power/control over AM and therefore will pump money and resources into the team and make them progress up the grid?

Back
Top Bottom