Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Wheels might brake with the same force, which is a symmetrical braking effect, but it doesn’t mean that each wheel is exerting the same load/force. Braking into a corner will see one side heat up more.

It’s not like tyres wear evenly, which is often commented on during a race.
Indeed. I think the Sky F1 video hinted at that. Equal braking force on both sides on the axle doesn't mean equal braking force. Outside wheel (for a given corner) will have a different amount of brake force to the inside wheel.

Quite possibly, however it could just be equally true that this car is at the limit of where it can progress to and has hit a wall and everyone else has simply caught up and improved. The upgrades they've brought don't seem to be working either, in fact they seem to have made the car worse. Plus Red Bull appear to be making errors with the car's setup as shown in last weekend's race where the car was running a Monaco style rear wing of maximum downforce.

It would seem that the current Red Bull has a very narrow setup sweet spot.

Mark Hughes has some interesting things to say as he is stating that the Red Bull hasn't lost any pace at all, just that other teams have vastly improved.

This does make sense, maybe reached the limit of the car and have no time to develop it further.

Do respect Mark Hughes as a journalist, been in it a long time.

I do get the progression from F2 to F1 is bad. given F1 teams are far more comfortable paying loads to 'stable' names like Danny Ric and Bottas than giving youngsters a go that they can pay a pittance too.

But if it does work out, imagine established F2 names doing well in F1 machinery and being close or beating times of the old guard. It may give teams a second thought when they can shave a few zeros off the wage bill.

It would probably outshine a sprint F1 race, as every driver would actually try.

I do get the progression from F2 to F1 is bad.

I don't think the progression is bad - every driver to join the grid in recent times has come through it - it's more that it has little to do with winning F2. I think the bigger problem there is the role of academies. F2 drivers are not competing for the best seats, and teams aren't competing for the best F2 drivers, because the drivers are already contracted to particular teams.

Logan Sargeant has been replaced with Franco Colapinto

Sargeant has not had a good time in F1: he's crashed too many times for a budget-conscious team like Williams.
His crash at the weekend was extremely careless. At a track he's binned it at enough already. He won't be missed on the grid.

Back
Top Bottom