Mountain Biking

Soldato
wasnt that comment and reply made a few months ago now? could've changed in the meantime.

either way, if he stays he needs to up his game. the whole fun party boy thing is getting a bit old now if he isnt getting results.

Caporegime
wasnt that comment and reply made a few months ago now? could've changed in the meantime.

either way, if he stays he needs to up his game. the whole fun party boy thing is getting a bit old now if he isnt getting results.

Two days ago.

19th is hardly bad though, just because he's not in the top 10 that were used to. I like his attitude towards the whole thing, with most other top boys moving away from the party thing. If it wasn't for Leogang, where he crashed, he would've been a few notches higher too.

Last edited:
Soldato
After doing BC Bike race last year and breck epic this year, 2018 will be singletrack 6 I think.

I would really like to find some properly huge backcountry Uk epics day rides though. Any suggestions? I did the west highland way last way in 2 days last year. Day 1 was horrific but I loved riding through untouched empty valleys on day 2. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In other news, I finally got a bike. After I got a full refund on the Habit SE earlier this year, I have picked up a boardman pro fs for £1100 (sale price plus quidco). Quite excited to see what it's like; probablya bit small but such good kit for the money...Pikes for £1100!!!

Soldato
Should I 125mm or 150mm on a dropper post? I've ordered a 125mm Fox Transfer for the Production Shan. Basically, I have a 250mm stack height (this measured for my climb / flat out on the road pedal stroke) and the entire seat post is 380mm and fits completely unobstructed into the frame (ie, the saddle can slide down butt up against the seat clamp). As I'm externally routing (thanks Production Privee :rolleyes:), the only choice comes down to how much drop I want.

I thinking that 125mm at max extend will leave 125mm of the actual post above the seat collar (if I'm reading this right), so fully dropped, the saddle will still be 125mm above the collar.

Therefore, I'm not sure I want or need 150mm.....

Thoughts?

EDIT: Thinking about it, as I'm externally routing, 125mm is the better option as that will leave, effectively, 125mm of exposed post offering a nicer curve for the cable than the 150mm drop (which would leave only 100mm).

Last edited:
Soldato
I just bought a 150mm reverb

HOWEVER

I already had a 125mm, and for decent pedaling height had to bump it a few inches out of the frame, and then drop it in the frame for fun stuff

with the 150mm I shouldn't have to mess with it now, and should still be at the same extended height

Caporegime
My seat post is still a good 150ish out (at a guess) with a 150mm reverb. I sometimes wonder if a size up in frame would've suited better. But then going down I never ever think this. So...

Caporegime
So I'm building the hardtail back up, and wanting to put some lighter/x country style tyres on it.

Any recommendations?

Rocket Ron's, front and rear? Ardent/ardent race. The weight savings and rolling resistance will be nice for the local rides where it's not too gnarly and the Aeris will still have a more aggressive tread for the bigger stuff.

Soldato
Got linked to this All in Multitool review just before Xmas and although expensive after some basic man maths pulled the trigger and it turned up yesterday so decided to fit it before todays last run out of the year

L7EvOEL.jpg

qWPrF3F.jpg

f9WZTNo.jpg

Me likes !

Soldato
Been eyeing that up for weeks, i'll need to wait for my bank balance to recover from the last 4 weeks, gone way over budget between Xmas, buying the Voltage and upgrading the PC, my "Luxuries" funds have all but dried up, so will wait till Feb and have a think about it then.

Soldato
Hi guys after a bit of advice you'd be so kind...

Looking to replace my forks with a set of carbon ones, after a couple of bad sets from On-One someone suggested I try eXotic.

They seem to have quite the selection but non the exact same length, is it right that changing the length could alter how the bike feels/handles?

This is the bike I've got http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/pinnacle/ramin-one-2014

but I'm struggling to work out which set of forks here; http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&t=12&q=fork_selector would be best... Could any of you be kind enough to cast your eye over and steer :)D :o) me in the right direction?

Soldato
Soldato
Got linked to this All in Multitool review just before Xmas
Keep seeing this pop up on my facebook feed, hadn't actually looked at it until now though. Neat idea, although I do also like those stealth TopPeak ones TB just linked.

Typical I notice these now rather than before buying a normal chain tool... The bar end ones are barely any more expensive than a lot of bar ends you can buy!

Soldato
Yeah I have a Topeak multi-tool which is excellent quality so have also pulled the trigger on the bar end chain tool too :p

Won't feel quite so exposed going on a decent length ride without the rucksack / toolkit with the crank and bar end tools

Soldato
Same price I got mine, £480. Except I bought the display model so got £40 accessories thrown in too :p

I'm loving it, although I want a stickier front tyre as it seems extremely slippy on wet rock/roots.

Back
Top Bottom