Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Hardtail is built back up, I forgot how good this bike is. 2 seconds, on my little local trail, slower than the FS on the first run. I can see this being faster on the local terrian already. I lost it a few times, and toke some daft lines which easy make up that time. Can't wait to thrash it down a proper trail :)

Associate
Hardtail is built back up, I forgot how good this bike is. 2 seconds, on my little local trail, slower than the FS on the first run. I can see this being faster on the local terrian already. I lost it a few times, and toke some daft lines which easy make up that time. Can't wait to thrash it down a proper trail :)

Just in time for the final XC race of the series at the start of March ;)

Soldato
Either broken, or sprained wrist. Don't think I'll be riding anything for some time :(

Just as I get my bike back up and running.

I feel your pain man! Get my cast off a week on Thursday.

I also had to move my turbo out of the conservatory while we use it as a workshop (doing some DIY) so I can't even ride that at the moment… I'm going stir-crazy.

What did you do?

Caporegime
I feel your pain man! Get my cast off a week on Thursday.

I also had to move my turbo out of the conservatory while we use it as a workshop (doing some DIY) so I can't even ride that at the moment… I'm going stir-crazy.

What did you do?

Crashed snowboarding this morning, rested it hoping it was just sprained, I've sprained a wrist before, and this feels different. I'll pop to the docs to the morning, in the hope I'm told to man up.

Damn, how long to heal? How'd you manage it?

Soldato
Crashed snowboarding this morning, rested it hoping it was just sprained, I've sprained a wrist before, and this feels different. I'll pop to the docs to the morning, in the hope I'm told to man up.

Damn, how long to heal? How'd you manage it?

Ouch! fingers crossed it's not broken — how swollen is it?

I went over the bars on a little jump at my local trail and pretty much did a handstand on my left wrist.

I knew it was sore (as you say, I've sprained things before) but I didn't think it was broken as I had full use of my fingers.

I got back to the car, loaded the bike on the roof rack, drove home did a day of DIY and cooked dinner. I kept putting ice on it and I also had a brace from the last time I crashed so I wore that.

The next morning I could barely get dressed so I went to the minor injuries, had an x-ray and sure enough I'd broken it in two places.

I had a temporary plaster cast for 10 days while the swelling went down and now I've got a 'proper' cast which I will have worn for four weeks on the 2nd March (when it should come off).

So all-in just under six weeks.

I've done my best to job on with it, some things are harder than others and some things have got easier as it's healed. The doctor told me to check with my insurance company whether I could drive or not and luckily they were ok with it so work hasn't been affected. Like I said, the hardest thing is not being out on the bike!

Caporegime
Ouch! fingers crossed it's not broken — how swollen is it?

I went over the bars on a little jump at my local trail and pretty much did a handstand on my left wrist.

I knew it was sore (as you say, I've sprained things before) but I didn't think it was broken as I had full use of my fingers.

I got back to the car, loaded the bike on the roof rack, drove home did a day of DIY and cooked dinner. I kept putting ice on it and I also had a brace from the last time I crashed so I wore that.

The next morning I could barely get dressed so I went to the minor injuries, had an x-ray and sure enough I'd broken it in two places.

I had a temporary plaster cast for 10 days while the swelling went down and now I've got a 'proper' cast which I will have worn for four weeks on the 2nd March (when it should come off).

So all-in just under six weeks.

I've done my best to job on with it, some things are harder than others and some things have got easier as it's healed. The doctor told me to check with my insurance company whether I could drive or not and luckily they were ok with it so work hasn't been affected. Like I said, the hardest thing is not being out on the bike!

Near enough same situation here, been wearing a brace all night (night shift) but its now so painful just walking hurts.

6 weeks isn't 'too' bad, but it's 6 weeks of doing next to nothing and enough to drive most people crazy! It's going to be a struggle to not get fat :(

Thankfully I'm in a lucky position with work, that I get driven in.

Associate
I came off mine on Sunday at Braefoot Bay and because of the way I've landed, my shoulder popped out but luckily enough popped back in. :D

Bad news is I've got a grade 2 concussion and whiplash! :(

Caporegime
I came off mine on Sunday at Braefoot Bay and because of the way I've landed, my shoulder popped out but luckily enough popped back in. :D

Bad news is I've got a grade 2 concussion and whiplash! :(

Whiplash is horrible, few times I've had it it's only been a week thankfully.

2 frsctures to the wrist, six weeks of a cast. No bike :(

Associate
I decided to build a single speed XC bike this year, using used everything...
Managed to pick up a reasonable condition Genesis Io ID frame.
Now starts the hunt for bargain components :)

Soldato
2 fractures to the wrist, six weeks of a cast. No bike :(

That sucks mate, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

A few things I've noticed that you will either have already realised or will soon learn:

Loose-fitting clothes make life much easier — I've been wearing T-shirts, one fleece with big arms, and a gilet rather than a coat, because I couldn't get my cast through (or back out of) most of my long-sleeve tops.

The cast itself is like sandpaper — I've had to put a tea towel under my arm at work because I've been wearing away the edge of the desk where it's been resting.

Pushing and pulling will get easier relatively quickly, but I still struggle with rotation and twist. Opening jars is a pain and I've been gripping them between my legs and twisting with my right hand.

Driving has been fine as long as I don't use 1st Gear because it's really stiff (check with your doctor and insurance company before attempting to drive though).

Showering is a pain in the bum but a big heavy-duty carrier bag makes it a bit easier.

I usually sleep on my left side in the recovery position; it's fine now but in the first few weeks this was impossible so I had to get used to sleeping on my back.

I've had pretty dry skin on my left hand under the cast which is a bit yucky and also unusual for me as I have quite oily skin — it's not really itched much though.

The novelty wears off very quickly — I can't wait to have it removed.

Not being able to get out on the bike is the most annoying bit. I still haven't been able to set up my Turbo again since we moved it so it's now been two weeks without any kind of riding. I have done a bit of running to try and stay fit — the doctor said this would be fine as long as I promised not to fall over…

Caporegime
That sucks mate, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

A few things I've noticed that you will either have already realised or will soon learn:

Loose-fitting clothes make life much easier — I've been wearing T-shirts, one fleece with big arms, and a gilet rather than a coat, because I couldn't get my cast through (or back out of) most of my long-sleeve tops.

The cast itself is like sandpaper — I've had to put a tea towel under my arm at work because I've been wearing away the edge of the desk where it's been resting.

Pushing and pulling will get easier relatively quickly, but I still struggle with rotation and twist. Opening jars is a pain and I've been gripping them between my legs and twisting with my right hand.

Driving has been fine as long as I don't use 1st Gear because it's really stiff (check with your doctor and insurance company before attempting to drive though).

Showering is a pain in the bum but a big heavy-duty carrier bag makes it a bit easier.

I usually sleep on my left side in the recovery position; it's fine now but in the first few weeks this was impossible so I had to get used to sleeping on my back.

I've had pretty dry skin on my left hand under the cast which is a bit yucky and also unusual for me as I have quite oily skin — it's not really itched much though.

The novelty wears off very quickly — I can't wait to have it removed.

Not being able to get out on the bike is the most annoying bit. I still haven't been able to set up my Turbo again since we moved it so it's now been two weeks without any kind of riding. I have done a bit of running to try and stay fit — the doctor said this would be fine as long as I promised not to fall over…

Yeah, baggy t-shirts are on. Thankfully the weather has popped up here ands is floating about 20c so i can mostly get away with just a t-shirt.

Luckily I also drive an automatic, so it's pretty easy to drive.

Yep sandwhich bags, and elastic bags have been working their magic here :)

Sadly most of my work is hands on, so I can't do a deal bar pass on instructions. First nightshift (few hours after having the cast on) was horrible.

But yeah, this is now going to be nearly 3 months of no riding and I'm feeling the affects already. We have a static bike in work, so I'll be using that to keep the fitness up. Though I may or may not have cycled her about the car park earlier....

due off soon? Pain go away soonish? Or still there?

Soldato
Yeah, baggy t-shirts are on. Thankfully the weather has popped up here ands is floating about 20c so i can mostly get away with just a t-shirt.

Luckily I also drive an automatic, so it's pretty easy to drive.

Yep sandwhich bags, and elastic bags have been working their magic here :)

Sadly most of my work is hands on, so I can't do a deal bar pass on instructions. First nightshift (few hours after having the cast on) was horrible.

But yeah, this is now going to be nearly 3 months of no riding and I'm feeling the affects already. We have a static bike in work, so I'll be using that to keep the fitness up. Though I may or may not have cycled her about the car park earlier....

due off soon? Pain go away soonish? Or still there?

That's rough, I'm quite lucky in the sense that I'm at a computer all day and can still type with it, but not being able to do a hands-on job is pretty rubbish.

Good work on the static bike though!

To be honest, apart from the first week I haven't had much pain. I was taking half-doses of the stuff they gave me at the hospital and just topped it up with regular paracetamol. I stopped taking anything when my temporary cast came off and haven't needed any painkillers for the last three weeks.

I've had a few twinges if I've twisted it slightly or tried to do too much with it, but the constant base-level of pain that I had for the first few days went away quite quickly.

One more week until it comes off - can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom