Mountain Biking

Soldato
https://www.stantonbikes.com/product/switchback-631-next-gen/

Also this, but I doubt it went under your radar. I looked at all sorts of steel before going cheap (cheap, ha!) and getting a full zero build.

Someone in the Bird FB group mentioned that one. The Next Gen build looks awesome (I'd love a Fox 36 instead of the 34 though) but £3500 for a hardtail is hard to swallow. I didn't pay much more than that for my Aeris with carbon wheels.

Bloody stupid Brexit :(

Caporegime
If I was buying a HT now, I'd get a TR.

Keep the Aeries for all the off peast, enduro/whatever. TR for trail centres/local stuff. Though throwing my HT about the other week, made me think why I even bought the Aeris in the first place!

Soldato
If I was buying a HT now, I'd get a TR.

Keep the Aeries for all the off peast, enduro/whatever. TR for trail centres/local stuff. Though throwing my HT about the other week, made me think why I even bought the Aeris in the first place!

Interesting. I hadn't considered the TR. I had convinced myself that I need the hardcore-ness of a 140-160mm ultra slack HT.

When I go to Wales (Afan, Cwmcarn, etc) it would be a tough choice whether to take the TR or Aeris.

Time to do some thinking. Thanks for the advice :)

Caporegime
It's what I'd do, the TR would be perfect for blue runs, reds or (shudder) a bit of XC. The aeris is perfect when you need more bike, local DH runs, off piste, bike parks etc.

If your a normal person, then a 'hardcore' (AM) HT OR a AM FS.

Or a AM FS/HT + a DH bike. :)

Soldato
It's what I'd do, the TR would be perfect for blue runs, reds or (shudder) a bit of XC. The aeris is perfect when you need more bike, local DH runs, off piste, bike parks etc.

If your a normal person, then a 'hardcore' (AM) HT OR a AM FS.

Or a AM FS/HT + a DH bike. :)

I think there's only one way to find out, so I'm going to book a Zero TR demo bike on a dry weekend :)

Soldato
Awesome! Mate was spending a maximum of £300 on a bike this month, he's borrowed my zero while I'm man down. He's now spending £1300 on an AM :D

Haha, you should work in sales! The Zero is great. I really do miss mine hence all this to'ing and fro'ing.

Spec'd up a super duper Zero TR last night and it wasn't even £2500 which is about what I was expecting to pay for a high-end hardtail.

Soldato
Get the XT11, and justify the spare money for some 36s, flights to Morzine etc :D

Yeah it was just a box-ticking exercise :) I have the SRAM X1 1x11 on the Aeris and even with a 32T chainring I can always get to the top of any climb, although there is always much huffing and puffing. The SRAM Eagle 1x12 is obscenely priced for what it is.

We were planning on driving to Poland this summer so that the Mrs could go walking in the mountains with her friends, and I'd hit the uplifts. Not sure it's going to happen now since we want to do quite a lot of home improvements :(

In other news, I got my SeaSucker Mini Bomber last week and used it on the Mrs' Mini Cooper for the first time on Saturday. 'Twas certainly a nerve-wracking experience, but it does work very well.

Associate
Baaah. Ordered a xt groupset from wiggle and for some reason the brake levers come disconnected from the caliper/hoses but no olives or barbs. I contacted wiggle and they said go to a bike shop and get the missing parts and have them fit n bleed em then upload the receipt to claim money back. Its hassle i could do without but nothings easy aye!

Caporegime
Baaah. Ordered a xt groupset from wiggle and for some reason the brake levers come disconnected from the caliper/hoses but no olives or barbs. I contacted wiggle and they said go to a bike shop and get the missing parts and have them fit n bleed em then upload the receipt to claim money back. Its hassle i could do without but nothings easy aye!

****, mines is sat in a box disconnected. Wonder if mines is the same. I knew they came disconnected, but thought the olives were in the cables. (from wiggle too)

Associate
Just call them up or use the online chat, they'll sort it with you.

I was miffed when I opened the brake packaging and no spare olives or barbs. Also no block to hold the hose while you trim and insert new barb like my other shimano brakes I bought a few years ago.

Also the BB is one of the pressfit variety which is no good to me. There wasnt a choice of BB when i ordered though.

Caporegime
Just call them up or use the online chat, they'll sort it with you.

I was miffed when I opened the brake packaging and no spare olives or barbs. Also no block to hold the hose while you trim and insert new barb like my other shimano brakes I bought a few years ago.

Also the BB is one of the pressfit variety which is no good to me. There wasnt a choice of BB when i ordered though.

So was mine, I had ordered a new one just incase though. I'll need to check soon, and send them an email. :(

Caporegime
I've been quoted £60+ to supply 2 barbs n olives and bleed brakes!

****! If wiggle are paying then who cares, but that is stupid. The kit, brand new is £15, olives are what a £5. So say he is using brand new kit everytime (he's not) that's £40 to bleed two brakes.

Is there not olives already installed in the cabling? If there not compressed yet, they should still be ok.

Soldato
Got the cast off my wrist (yay).

It's actually quite painful right now without any support. It's surprising how much the cast was doing, I'd stopped really noticing it.

The doctor said the best exercise is to move it around in water and generally build up resistance. He said it would probably be another couple of weeks until I could to proper resistance exercise and highly recommended a brace while riding.

I'm in London this weekend so it's going to be another week at the earliest before I could get on the bike. Might do a gentle ride next weekend to ease back into it.

Any recommendations on wrist braces? I've been looking at the Troy Lee Design one but it's currently out of stock on CRC and everywhere else is silly expensive.

Caporegime
Have a look at snowboarding ones, though they might be too warm.

Nice, bet tha'ts such a relif. Check out MWOD for wrist mobility videos. Worked for me before when I sprained it.

Back
Top Bottom