Mountain Biking

Soldato
I did a Jumps & Drops course with Tony Doyle at UK Bike Skills yesterday. It was well worth the money! Not a single person on the course didn't overcome a personal fear, and my friend managed to clear a 14 foot tabletop and a 9 foot gap which he definitely would not have attempted without Tony's help.

My only regret is not doing the course two years ago since I now have to unlearn all the "bad" tips I've picked up from magazines and YouTube.

Soldato
Associate
I did a Jumps & Drops course with Tony Doyle at UK Bike Skills yesterday. It was well worth the money! Not a single person on the course didn't overcome a personal fear, and my friend managed to clear a 14 foot tabletop and a 9 foot gap which he definitely would not have attempted without Tony's help.

My only regret is not doing the course two years ago since I now have to unlearn all the "bad" tips I've picked up from magazines and YouTube.

Good fun innit. I've done a 2-1 course with him and then one a couple of years later with Nathan. Second time I also did that 9 footer, amazing feeling conquering that.

Soldato
Great day for riding today. Properly christened the Scott with 36miles on the local bridleways. Still need to get my confidence back with what it can do.

Definitely going to convert to 1x ASAP and go tubeless as I've now had 2 punctures in 2 rides.

Soldato
Anyone up at Danny Hart's Descend tomorrow?

I am! :D
How'd you get on? I've been dying to get back up there for ages, surely it must be running mega fast at the moment with the weather we've been having it's bound to be dry hard and dusty.
I've not been to descend since the last time it snowed, was supposed to be up there this weekend, but both my mates had to pull out both with different terminal fork issues, so i didnt bother in the end, wont be until after the Fort William WC until i get a chance next.

Soldato
How'd you get on? I've been dying to get back up there for ages, surely it must be running mega fast at the moment with the weather we've been having it's bound to be dry hard and dusty.
I've not been to descend since the last time it snowed, was supposed to be up there this weekend, but both my mates had to pull out both with different terminal fork issues, so i didnt bother in the end, wont be until after the Fort William WC until i get a chance next.

Was pretty excellent to be honest! Everything running mega fast and dry.... until it rained at about 10:30, just enough to wet the top layer of the ground and make it super-greasy!

Dried up by the afternoon but there was still a few damp patches... survived with nothing more than a couple of minor spills getting corners wrong, but then again I was riding it on my Capra. My mate binned it 3 times and grazed pretty much everywhere he could! :D No serious damage done though.

Soldato
Bit off topic, but assume it's allowed here.. Best place to sell a used bike? Since been using a different bike for a few years, and haven't ridden my old bike for even longer, I may as well clear the space in the garage since getting it out of storage. It's a 2006 Specialized HardRock Sport.. was thinking of just putting it up on Gumtree/similar for ~£100?

Associate
Just back from Glentress where they had a Nukeproof demo day.

Got to use the Nukeproof Mega 290 Pro and what a piece of kit! Torrential downpours all day and it chewed up everything, although some of that may have been down to the magic mary on the front! :D

Soldato
Bit off topic, but assume it's allowed here.. Best place to sell a used bike? Since been using a different bike for a few years, and haven't ridden my old bike for even longer, I may as well clear the space in the garage since getting it out of storage. It's a 2006 Specialized HardRock Sport.. was thinking of just putting it up on Gumtree/similar for ~£100?
If it's low value I'd just put it up on Facebook/Gumtree/shpock.

Put my old one on shpock one evening a few weeks back, had 3 people send me low ball offers within half an hour, I countered all with £5 off asking and one came and picked it up the next day

Soldato
If it's low value I'd just put it up on Facebook/Gumtree/shpock.

Put my old one on shpock one evening a few weeks back, had 3 people send me low ball offers within half an hour, I countered all with £5 off asking and one came and picked it up the next day
Cheers. Just put it up on there for now!

Associate
Bought my first MTB for many years yesterday; a Trek Marlin 5. Really pleased with it so far although it's heavier than I thought it might be.

Pics to follow!!

Soldato
Guys... Road bike but a similar Disc issue to what several of you guys might have seen. Went to change pads over the weekend and my 'pad fixing bolt' is seized/stuck. I've 50% knackered the head on it already. Clearance is so tight I can't get a hacksaw in there to cut a bigger socket. I could dremel it off and then drill it out but I don't have a replacement fixing bolt anyways (my uberbike replacements didn't come with one). My LBS would defo have one but I can't get there this week! :(

TkCuVkU.jpg

Soldato
Got the Stans tubeless kit for my Scott at the weekend, 2 punctures in 2 rides got to me after very few punctures in the last year on the road (somehow none in CX racing although running tubes), I just ordered the standard kit and only after opening it did I think mmm this might not fit a 27.5, luckily they stretched over just fine, took a few goes on the first wheel to get it up and running, but quite a simple conversion, spent at most an hour setting up front and rear wheel. Rear lost pressure overnight, so pumped it back up and seems to be holding fine now! Just need to take it for a proper ride, although it survived about 5 miles as a warm up/warm down bike yesterday on some rough, rocky track.

I can see this being one of those things that I wish I'd done on the boardman to run lower pressures. What sort of Pressure should I be looking at for 80kg bike + rider + kit weight on 27.5x2.1 Schwalbe Rocket Ron. Used to running sub 20psi on 33mm wide CX tyres for racing.

Associate
Guys... Road bike but a similar Disc issue to what several of you guys might have seen. Went to change pads over the weekend and my 'pad fixing bolt' is seized/stuck. I've 50% knackered the head on it already. Clearance is so tight I can't get a hacksaw in there to cut a bigger socket. I could dremel it off and then drill it out but I don't have a replacement fixing bolt anyways (my uberbike replacements didn't come with one). My LBS would defo have one but I can't get there this week! :(

Had a customer with the same problem in the shop the other day. I ended up having to split the caliper in half with the two torx bolts on the back of it and use pliers to get the pin out. Short term fix for holding the pads back in was with a spoke cut to length and bent at either end. Did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom