Mountain Biking

Soldato
Rode my MTB for the first time properly in about 5 years last night with a couple of guys from work.

It's an old boardman comp with saint flats and elixir brakes. Went round rivington pike, trying to keep feet on the pedals was a struggle sometimes as it is very cobbled and rocky in places so bounce around a lot on a hardtail.

I do have SPD I could use or do I just need to practice or wind out more screw thread on the pedals!?

Aside from the brakes being a little lazy at first but then got better with use I had a good time and got some confidence back up.

I have much better fitness than I used to even though I've not done much this year. Lots of road riding in Australia given me smooth pedalling technique and power. I didn't have to worry about the legs and could carry speed more on the tough climbs.

Associate
There's a good trail 5 miles away from me. I wanna ride the bike there but I'm worried about wearing down the tires (Ardent rear and high roller 2 front) on concrete, or should 5 miles there and back not wear them out loads?

Associate
Can anyone comment on this dropper post? Looking at getting one and don't fancy bursting the bank!

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Plummet-Remote-Dropper-Seat-Post_70234.htm

I've got the predecessor to this seatpost on my bike and have had it for a number of years now. It's bang on as a cheap post and works well. I've replaced a few cables on it and serviced it once or twice but it's all good.

I have done a mod where I control it with an old front shifter now though as the lever wasn't great.

Soldato
A what? Where?
There's a good trail 5 miles away from me. I wanna ride the bike there but I'm worried about wearing down the tires (Ardent rear and high roller 2 front) on concrete, or should 5 miles there and back not wear them out loads?
Do you worry about taking the car on a short trip? It'll be fine.

Soldato
I've done a lot of road miles on my mtb over winter and my tyres are definitely looking a little worse for wear as a result (hence buying a road bike for that stuff now!). But 5 miles each way to a trail? Wouldn't worry about that at all, in fact I do that most rides when I head up to my local trails.

In other news, finally got round to cleaning my chain so I could see whether my quick link is actually broken or not (it was filthy :o). It seems to be bent on one side. Gonna head to my new LBS and get them to take a look and get a new quick link, halfrauds is out of stock.

Soldato
Going to have to stop calling them Halfrauds.. Popped in while I was in the retail park anyway before going to the LBS. They still didn't have quick links in but walked out with a new chain under warranty instead. Can't knock it!

Back
Top Bottom