1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by Zefan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. robj20

Sgarrista

Something with a suspended back so you don't get a sweaty back. I like Osprey packs.

2. Lakeland

Soldato

I use my Kreiga motorbike backpack and don’t even know it’s on there, not cheap but amazing kit.

3. DereksDontRun

Wise Guy

after trying a few through the years, I've been using an Osprey Raptor for the last couple years and it's been great. Sure, it's not the cheapest, but v good.

4. iMacMart

Capodecina

Checking these out! Thanks

5. Skillmister

Capodecina

Check out ebay for osprey bags. I picked up an 11l and 22l for under £30 each. The 11 especially just gets caked in mud on the bike so seemed pointless spending £70 on something that would stay in "new" condition for all of 20 minutes :p

6. Begbie

Capodecina

They also have a second life site.

I've got an Osprey, after owning numerous cheap bags. It's so much comfier to wear. I use it for everything.

7. Ske

Gangster

Another +1 for Osprey. Bought a Viper 9 like, 2 years ago? Still going strong! Great bag.

I'm also a big fan of the CamelBak Repack LR. Don't judge :p

8. Kelt

Capodecina

Yeh, I got one from Aldi for around £25 and can't complain, sturdy stand with a handlebar grip as well.

9. touch

Capodecina

I've got an Osprey Syncro and it's great.
    It's not as good for the cheaper backpacks because they charge £10 shipping on the second life site (but free shipping on the retail site) which reduces the saving. You can usually find their cycling backpacks on Wiggle/CRC at 30-40% off so it's probably not worth buying the b-grade stuff directly from Osprey.

10. kefkef

Mobster

Time to change my first bottom bracket this week! It's a PF30 so hoping it wont be too difficult! Current one feels like it is shot, loads of creaking and grinding and when you spin the pedals backwards they stop instantly when you let go. It has done 2000 miles of pretty hard pedaling in either bad/muddy weather or dry & dusty throughout the lakes, peak district and north wales.

11. Thomas. PLease.

Soldato

Thinking about getting a hardtail through cycle2work at work with a max budget of £1k or just over. They use https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/male this place. I really like the look of the Orbea Alma but these all look to be sold out in medium. Is there anything else decent here. The Scott Scale looks good too? Is there much difference between SLX and SRAM Eagle? Also 27.5 or 29?

12. iMacMart

Capodecina

Got a family pass for Chicksands Bike Park for the year, me my two sons and my brother ..... great fun for a year ..... can’t wait to get up there again!!!!

13. gettothechopper

Mobster

its good fun, especially in the wet as its still totally rideable
    Nice woods round the outside too for a bit of loamy fun
    Dont forget to visit Brink nearby, its got lots of fancy stuff and nice coffee

14. iMacMart

Capodecina

I live about 10 mins from ChickSands so hoping to be up there as much as possible and wear the boys out too :D will check out Brink

15. kefkef

Mobster

New bike ordered on C2W scheme today! :eek:

Orbea Rallon M20 with Fox factory shock/forks upgrade. Delivery early February!

16. iMacMart

Capodecina

Pictures when it arrives please :)

I picked up a BikeHut Repair Frame BNIB for £30 no more holding mine and my sons bikes with my knees or balancing act!

17. Skillmister

Capodecina

Has anyone ever put tapered forks on a straight head tube with an adaptor?

Interested to hear any success/fail stories.

I love the geometry on my hardtail (I can quite literally ride it all day whereas the long/slack generation of bikes don't do me much good) but the forks are crap so I want to upgrade but it doesn't seem like there are any decent options for 100-120mm 29" xc forks with a straight steerer.

If it's not possible to whack a set of good tapered forks on then it's new bike time but I'd rather spend a few hundred quid than a couple of grand if at all possible!

18. dtokez

Wise Guy

Very nice! Is that a 29'er? I'm looking at a new bike but still not sure on the 27.5 vs 29

19. robj20

Sgarrista

My current bike has a straight tube and in using a tapered fork.
    Just needed the correct hope top and bottom headset. No different to any other setup really.

20. iMacMart

Capodecina

How have people gone "Tubeless" if at all, a friend went tubeless on his Voodoo bizango and it cost him £90 for Halfords to do it plus tyres?

Tempted to do it myself