1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by Zefan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. robj20

Sgarrista

195lbs

2. Begbie

Capodecina

Some tr rims will come with tape applied, most don't. The tape application is to cover the holes used to affix/tighten spokes etc. Without this covered it'll forever lose air.

3. dtokez

Wise Guy

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation! So regular gorilla gaffa type tape works ok?

Also something I was wondering, how do you deal with punctures, I saw a GMBN video where they were carrying a 'plug' type thing

4. rhysduck

Soldato

Yes but it's an absolute ball ache to remove properly if you need to. I'd recommend you get proper tubeless tape or the VESA tape mentioned previously (same stuff at half the price roughly).

5. Begbie

Capodecina

It's a piece of cake to remove. You get the end and pull it. Or at least personally I've never had an issue.

Though currently got whatever came with my rims, and it's working fine. But also my hardtail have had the same gorilla tape for at least 3 years now.

It should deal with most punctures on its own. Deep gashes, either use a plug or put a tube in and fix the tyre after the ride.

6. bigfoot4616

Gangster

why not run a minion on the front as well as rear, much better than a high roller. i've got a 2.5 DHF on the front at the moment and its good.
    going to try a michelin wild enduro on the front next as i'm using one at the rear now, its easily as good as the DHR2, much harder wearing and cheaper

7. robj20

Sgarrista

Always got on well with them in the past.
    The size of tyres for 26" seems to have taken a nose dive. Basically seems like 2.35 or nothing for a lot of tyres.

8. bigfoot4616

Gangster

hadn't realised you where on 26", i'm guessing its a bit of a limited market for tyres that size now.

9. iMacMart

Capodecina

Went up to CS with my sons on Saturday lunchtime, it was packed, carpark was full had to wait for a parking spot, some tracks were muddy (deep puddles) others not so bad, good to get up there though!

10. iMacMart

Capodecina

I've now ordered the Osprey Escapist 18 rucksack M/L for £59 off the bay looks great and should be fine for me and my sons days out at ChickSands BP, thanks gents!

11. MrKnifey

Mobster

I also run 20psi front and rear, but running 650b

12. bigfoot4616

Gangster

Had to do a bit of a bodge last night to ride the 5 miles back to the van. Drivering in the hub started spinning so had to tie the cassette to the spokes with some wire we found on a bit of old fencing. Was an interesting ride back making sure i didn't stop pedaling. Luckily there was a flatish road option to get back on.
    Been planning for a while to get a new wheelset so this has just rushed it on a bit. Going to order some Sixth Element carbon rims on I9 hubs

13. Begbie

Capodecina

Just go maxxis, plenty of good tyres in 2.4/2.5 for 26".

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  14. robj20

Sgarrista

I wanted dhrii and dhf. Can only find them in 2.3.

15. Begbie

Capodecina

16. TheBrooder

Mobster

Can anyone recommend a 26" rear tyre for gravel/fire roads with the odd bit of single track - terrain is pretty flat and dry/dusty.

Thanks

17. floatindolphin

Wise Guy

Got hold of a 1994 Kona Fire Mountain for this years races

[​IMG]

Found some reissue Smoke/Dart tyres! best tyres ever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got to have a Crud Catcher!

[​IMG]

Dave's Chain Device off my old Bear Valley SE

[​IMG]

I also found that the original seat post had been chopped right down. Could only find this Thompson one that'd fit. Reissue Flite saddle too

I'm just waiting on a new headset before I can take it out for a proper ride. Will have a quick blast round Cannock to make sure it's all good then will take it back to my old haunts in North Wales.

Will be riding it in the Dyfi Enduro in May :)

18. TallPaul_S

Soldato

Brilliant. :cool:

I spot a set of onza barends too :D

19. floatindolphin

Wise Guy

ah yeah! and them! :D Wanted X lite but couldn't find the right ones :(

20. Lakeland

Soldato

Oh what a bike, I remember the first time I rode one of them and it was like riding on air with a 30mph tail wind! Beautiful.