Mountain Biking

Caporegime
So I was going to change the tyre on my sons Canyon hardtail and found the tyre bead wouldn’t unseat at any point off the rim. Eventually I tried the other side of the tyre and it came off easily.
Turns out one side is stuck onto the rim - is this normal :cry:

53820362169_e28cfb8b57_c.jpg

Ive had to literally deadlift a set of tyres out before. I.e standing in the rim and pulling up on the tyre till it released.

It's an absolute pain in the arse.

Soldato
I'd imagine it's just some of the tape adhesive has got on the bead. Just pull the bread into the center of the rim, it can take a lot of force to unseat a bead.

Soldato
Anyone able to recommend a set of bars?

I have the standard Specialized 6061 30 rise, 35mm stem that came with the bike at 816mm with grips and 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep. Its crashy, the offsets are playing murder with the carpal tunnel..

I've since gone for an Renthal FatBar Lite Carbon35 with 30 rise at 776mm with grips and 5-degree upsweep, 7-degree backsweep and am not finding it to be very compliant like I expected it to be and like other brands can be however its much nicer on the wrists now I have been able straighten my wrists out more. I have however found I am getting slight fizzing in my pinky due to some stress on the Ulnar Nerve. Its better than Carpal I can assure you but its not ideal.

THIS - https://www.renthal.com/cycle/handlebars/fatbar-lite-carbon/fblc35-30mm

Would it be worthwhile chopping my Specialized bars down to the same width as the Renthal to see if that geo and width works better and then finding something nice to replace it?

Any suggestions on brand and model would also be appreciated.

Caporegime

I have the standard Specialized 6061 30 rise, 35mm stem that came with the bike at 816mm with grips and 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep. Its crashy, the offsets are playing murder with the carpal tunnel..

I've since gone for an Renthal FatBar Lite Carbon35 with 30 rise at 776mm with grips and 5-degree upsweep, 7-degree backsweep and am not finding it to be very compliant like I expected it to be and like other brands can be however its much nicer on the wrists now I have been able straighten my wrists out more. I have however found I am getting slight fizzing in my pinky due to some stress on the Ulnar Nerve. Its better than Carpal I can assure you but its not ideal.

Would it be worthwhile chopping my Specialized bars down to the same width as the Renthal to see if that geo and width works better and then finding something nice to replace it?

Supposedly the one up is one of the best. I had the rental 35s before and found them absolutely fantastic though.

Soldato
Woke up this morning and saw my garage door was open and unfortunately what you all think has happened has happened and i've had my bikes nicked overnight. Looks like they've forced their way in through the window and then taken the bikes over my back fence.

Gutting. Maybe time to upgrade your home security? Do you have CCTV?

Soldato

I've always like Renthal bars personally but obviously may not work for everyone.

What grips are you running? And have you tried experimenting with brake lever and shifter positions and angles?

Soldato
Supposedly the one up is one of the best. I had the rental 35s before and found them absolutely fantastic though.
I'd add the new PNW Carbon bars as well. I find them very comfortable they have a little more back sweep which I like.

Treated myself to some new SRAM XX T-Type DUB Power cranks. Lighter than my previous Hope cranks but my god what's with the spacers and naff plastic preload ring.

Last edited:
Soldato

Have a look at the SQlab 30X handlebars, they come in 12 and 16 degree back sweep.

I highly recommend measuring your resting wrist angle to see if these will suit you.

These video explains it.

Soldato
The wrist angle is an issue which is where the problems with pinched nerves come in.

It might not sound like much but an1 degree lesser upsweep on the bar has rotated my wrist enough to relieve some pressures, would another degree help? Who knows! Rotating the bar a little more and playing with that angle is what I shall do next, I might just have to dial it in.

Backsweep over around 9 may result in more wrist twist so I’m likely going to avoid that. It’s just the width I may need to dial in too but I can’t add to a bar so might need to buy another yet.

All these injuries as a kid are biting me in the ass now it seems :D

Soldato
There’s a place called north yorks physio and they do bike fits. It costs £120 to get what is essentially a weird sliding thing fit to you which is helpful for posture and correcting it plus dealing with any pre-existing condition etc.

Long story short, based on shoulder width, length of bike etc, an 785mm bar at 8.5 degree back sweep and an 5 degree upsweep would be perfect. And as with anything “perfect” it doesn’t exist.

It does however mean that the FatBar with an extra 12.5mm either side would be pretty much perfect having been a half degree out with some adjustment to the stem angle. You can’t just “add” carbon so it means £144 for a new one in 800mm that can get a small trim. Errr, no.

It also turns out that Bergtec enduro bars are also very close being a half degree out in the other direction and as I managed to find one at £112.56 I thought why not. I can sell on the untouched FatBar on a forum somewhere maybe for about £60 to recoup some costs.

One or two take aways from all of this..

Your body isn’t indestructible when you’re a kid, you just pay for it later in life so be careful and mindful out there.

Having a professional take the time to measure up and make suggestions according to what you should be doing rather than what you want to do may be expensive but it’s a lot less than messing about buying multiple expensive bike parts for the sake of guess work.

Finally, Renthal bars are better made than Burgtec. I can see why one charges £179 rrp and the other is £140. Will I notice? No, probably not.

So.., anyone after any bars? Lul. I may stick a thread up with some bike bits as I’m currently broke! :cry:

PS, dont ask in here if you are, keep an eye out in classifieds as I might try my luck.

Soldato
There’s a place called north yorks physio and they do bike fits. It costs £120 to get what is essentially a weird sliding thing fit to you which is helpful for posture and correcting it plus dealing with any pre-existing condition etc.

Long story short, based on shoulder width, length of bike etc, an 785mm bar at 8.5 degree back sweep and an 5 degree upsweep would be perfect. And as with anything “perfect” it doesn’t exist.

It does however mean that the FatBar with an extra 12.5mm either side would be pretty much perfect having been a half degree out with some adjustment to the stem angle. You can’t just “add” carbon so it means £144 for a new one in 800mm that can get a small trim. Errr, no.
Lock-on grips spaced out 12.5mm either side would fix your issue. Half the people running tapered grips don't know they need to really push them on (i.e. with a mallet) and end up running bars way wider than they really think.

Back
Top Bottom