Mountain Biking

Nice. What do you think of the shock my new frames coming with the same, and also 130mm.

My old bike (2016 Canyon Nerve) has a 110mm Fox Float DPS, so coming from that is quite a contrast.

The Super Deluxe Ultimate is really smooth and stable. I used the new Trailhead website to set my sag and rebound, and I've set the low-speed compression to the middle, so it will take a little while to fine-tune it as I'm not used to that level of adjustment. The high-speed compression needs an Allan key to adjust, so I assume they don't expect you to fiddle with that too much.

The Fox Float DPS has three levels of lock-out: fully open, half open, and locked. The SDU "threshold mode" is basically on or off. Quite often when climbing, I would stick the Fox into the middle position so I still had a bit of squish for comfort without compromising efficiency too much.

Yesterday there was a bumpy fire-road climb that took about 5 minutes. When I locked out the shock, it actually felt like I was getting less power down. It must be the slow speed compression of the SDU but it really smoothed out the trail and let me concentrate on turning the peddles.

So I guess it will depend what you're coming from, but so far I've been very impressed with it, albeit a bit daunted by the potential tweaking and tuning that could be applied.

How do I convince the wife that I need a ShockWiz? :D

And finished to the point it can be ridden at least.

I need to downsize on the discs to 180/160 I think as 200/200 is just dumb on this without any suspension taking any of the force out when braking.

Rather pleased with my parts bin beater that owes me no more than around £175.

index.php

And finished to the point it can be ridden at least.

I need to downsize on the discs to 180/160 I think as 200/200 is just dumb on this without any suspension taking any of the force out when braking.

Rather pleased with my parts bin beater that owes me no more than around £175.

index.php

I was going to mention disc size, but see you are doing so.

Does look pretty good.

Dropper post?

I was going to mention disc size, but see you are doing so.

Does look pretty good.

Dropper post?
Unfortunately not no. Trying to find a decent external cable dropper with a centre mid mount for the cable rather than a top mount in 27.2mm is proving difficult. I have found a few but they’re hellish expensive so I think a set and forget approach is in order whilst I wait for an eBay bargain to grace my eyes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not no. Trying to find a decent external cable dropper with a centre mid mount for the cable rather than a top mount in 27.2mm I proving difficult. I have found a few but they’re hellish expensive so I think a set and forget approach is in order whilst I wait for an eBay bargain to grace my eyes.

Shame it is not possible to mount through one of those bottle threads.

Shame it is not possible to mount through one of those bottle threads.
There are a few holes here and there on the frame but nothing that screams out “doable”. It’s a shame really but there’s not much I can do about it bar drill a hole here and there nd hope for the best.

On another note, had a quick blast on the Specialized and my god the bikes couldn’t feel any more different. Similar is size over all but the Geo on the Specialized really does make it feel massive in comparison.

index.php

index.php

My old bike (2016 Canyon Nerve) has a 110mm Fox Float DPS, so coming from that is quite a contrast.

The Super Deluxe Ultimate is really smooth and stable. I used the new Trailhead website to set my sag and rebound, and I've set the low-speed compression to the middle, so it will take a little while to fine-tune it as I'm not used to that level of adjustment. The high-speed compression needs an Allan key to adjust, so I assume they don't expect you to fiddle with that too much.

The Fox Float DPS has three levels of lock-out: fully open, half open, and locked. The SDU "threshold mode" is basically on or off. Quite often when climbing, I would stick the Fox into the middle position so I still had a bit of squish for comfort without compromising efficiency too much.

Yesterday there was a bumpy fire-road climb that took about 5 minutes. When I locked out the shock, it actually felt like I was getting less power down. It must be the slow speed compression of the SDU but it really smoothed out the trail and let me concentrate on turning the peddles.

So I guess it will depend what you're coming from, but so far I've been very impressed with it, albeit a bit daunted by the potential tweaking and tuning that could be applied.

How do I convince the wife that I need a ShockWiz? :D
I've been really toying with the idea of one too, my son and I both have a couple of bikes and very little idea how to get the suspension sweet spot. They're very expensive for what they are though.

I've been really toying with the idea of one too, my son and I both have a couple of bikes and very little idea how to get the suspension sweet spot. They're very expensive for what they are though.

A friend of mine was in a British Cycling club local to him and they bought one for club members to use. I borrowed it years ago for my Canyon and it was great, but he’s not in the club any more.

Definitely hard to justify the cost for one person though, or even a couple of you.

I'm waiting till they bring out a 27.5 2.6 front. Seems stupid that they do a 2.6 rear but not a 2.6 front as well.

On the way apparently as I emailed them about it.
Hopefully they bring out a Trail Soft as well. Odd that to get softer compound you have to have stiffer casing as well.

Did you get them on the Merlin deal?

I swapped out my 36s for 38s and really noticed the difference mostly due to my lack of skill and weight rather than being a thug :)

Did you get them on the Merlin deal?

I swapped out my 36s for 38s and really noticed the difference mostly due to my lack of skill and weight rather than being a thug :)

I didn’t do the Merlin deal no, I am now however curious and hope I’ve not lost money, ah well, it is what it is.

My lack of skill and the weight counts heavily towards my thug habits :D

Back
Top Bottom