Mourinho Sacked! Solskjær new interim manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think it's a bit of an exaggeration when people talk about Spurs being in that title race - they half got themselves into a race with a few games to go but ultimately Leciester only dropped 6 points so even had Spurs won their remaining games, they still wouldn't have caught them.

I doubt Kenny / Newcastle would see it that way

They were leading by 12? points and lost the title by 4 in the span of 14? games or so in 96 - all thanks to relentless pressure (four defeats in the last 6 games is how they paid for it in the end - but it was still the pressure exerted on them.....and that was in 96 without the press as they are now let alone social media and other external pressures)

Don
I doubt Kenny / Newcastle would see it that way

They were leading by 12? points and lost the title by 4 in the span of 14? games or so in 96 - all thanks to relentless pressure (four defeats in the last 6 games is how they paid for it in the end - but it was still the pressure exerted on them.....and that was in 96 without the press as they are now let alone social media and other external pressures)
As usual you've lost me Frank. How does Newcastle blowing a lead change the fact that Spurs were only on the fringes of the title race? Spurs needed Leicester to implode for them to catch them and again, Leicester didn't even drop the bare minimum points in the period I mentioned for Spurs to have caught them had Spurs won all their games. Leicester kept picking up points and the title race was over when Spurs didn't win at Stamford Bridge, they then lost 2 games after the race was over.

And if you wanted to use a better example, you should have used the 11/12 season when Utd were 8 points clear of City with 6 games to go. But again, City relied on Utd imploding which Utd did.

Caporegime
As usual you've lost me Frank. How does Newcastle blowing a lead change the fact that Spurs were only on the fringes of the title race? Spurs needed Leicester to implode for them to catch them and again, Leicester didn't even drop the bare minimum points in the period I mentioned for Spurs to have caught them had Spurs won all their games. Leicester kept picking up points and the title race was over when Spurs didn't win at Stamford Bridge, they then lost 2 games after the race was over.

And if you wanted to use a better example, you should have used the 11/12 season when Utd were 8 points clear of City with 6 games to go. But again, City relied on Utd imploding which Utd did.

Indeed and that was without any pressure on them as it was assumed done and Ferguson couldn’t bottle it

Don
I didn't want to say that but yes ;)

Anyway, I think we've done the pressure debate to death now. Lets keep this thread for discussing other chat relating to who may be Utd's next manager.

Soldato

No it was a perfect example....

you said "Leicester only dropped 6 points so it wouldn't have mattered anyway" - but you don't know how much Leicester would have dropped IF Spurs had been able to put pressure on them.

Don
No it was a perfect example....

you said "Leicester only dropped 6 points so it wouldn't have mattered anyway" - but you don't know how much Leicester would have dropped IF Spurs had been able to put pressure on them.
No it wasn't, it was nonsense. Newcastle were 12 points ahead in February(?) and gradually dropped points over 3 months. Leicester were 7 clear with just 6 games to go, requiring Spurs to win all their remaining games, which was somewhat unrealistic just to put any pressure on Leicester. It needed Leicester to implode in a very short period which they did not do. It was only with 3 games to go that the title was over and Leicester hadn't showed any signs of cracking prior to that.

Again, had you wanted to use something more comparable you should have used the season City made up 8 points in 6 games on Utd but that is because Utd imploded.

Don
Not that I think you should offer Solskjaer the job now but it's not as straight forward as you say Shami. To get Poch I don't think you can just rock up in June and offer him a contract - you'll have to start laying the ground work well before that, as I suspect clubs like Real will be doing too. And before anybody says you could do all the work to line Poch up and then still decide between the two in the summer, one way or another word will get out that Utd are talking to/considering both and I don't see any chance of Utd getting Poch without putting all their eggs in that basket and persuading him that it's best for him to leave Spurs now.

Caporegime
I think at this point we should offer ole an 18 month contract. If he's not done enough then what will satisfy the board ?

Buying out poochetino for 25 million ?

Put that into buying a defender.

Champions League result vs PSG and game versus Liverpool. Depending on this we should give him the job. I honestly do not understand the hype of Poch.

Caporegime
Champions League result vs PSG and game versus Liverpool. Depending on this we should give him the job. I honestly do not understand the hype of Poch.

I disagree, I think the result in those is irrelevant. We should be judging him by his performance over the whole term, not isolated games. LvG had a great record in the big games, doesn't mean he was the right man.

Man of Honour
While he's doing fantastically well, and I would like him to get the job - we should wait until the end of the season before deciding anything.

However, as Baz mentioned, that could be problematic if we want Poch as it would take some effort to get him (unless Mourinho ends up at Real first).

I disagree, I think the result in those is irrelevant. We should be judging him by his performance over the whole term, not isolated games. LvG had a great record in the big games, doesn't mean he was the right man.

I agree, our defence would struggle to effectively contain both PSG and Liverpool, not much you can do about that.

Caporegime
We're not buying anyone in January, regardless of who is in charge.

We need to sell.and buy. Sign solskjaer up and let him clear a couple and buy a couple.

Obvious sales are;

Fellaini 15m
Mata 10m
Rojo 10m

Buy centerback.

Up the Benatia wages offer by way of bonuses if needs be.

Easy really.

I don't even know what pochettino would bring us to be honest. Waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom