Mourinho Sacked! Solskjær new interim manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
However, as Baz mentioned, that could be problematic if we want Poch as it would take some effort to get him (unless Mourinho ends up at Real first).
I don't think the biggest issue is persuading Poch to choose Utd over Real but persuading him to leave Spurs. There's no urgency for him to leave - he's only going to have more offers come his way as and when the PSG, Bayern and Barca jobs become available. Unless the Utd job is 100% right for him then I can't see him leaving, especially if Spurs qualify for the CL and Utd don't. He could stay at Spurs and finish 5th and it'll do less damage to his reputation that taking the Utd job and finishing 4th.

Caporegime
We need to sell.and buy. Sign solskjaer up and let him clear a couple and buy a couple.

Obvious sales are;

Fellaini 15m
Mata 10m
Rojo 10m

Buy centerback.

Up the Benatia wages offer by way of bonuses if needs be.

Easy really.

I don't even know what pochettino would bring us to be honest. Waste of money.

With all due respect Nick, you think it's easy because you know very little about football.

Caporegime
I disagree, I think the result in those is irrelevant. We should be judging him by his performance over the whole term, not isolated games. LvG had a great record in the big games, doesn't mean he was the right man.

He has beaten both Spurs and Arsenal away tactically and put weak teams to bed with ease. A decent champions League performance and a result against Liverpool with a manager who has been there for four years must be worth a decent look in.

I can totally understand the anamoly in the room that is Di Matteo but this is completely different.

Caporegime
He has beaten both Spurs and Arsenal away tactically and put weak teams to bed with ease. A decent champions League performance and a result against Liverpool with a manager who has been there for four years must be worth a decent look in.

I want to see how we react to a loss or even going behind. As great as things have been so far there should be more opportunities to see how he handles different situations (and also behind the scenes stuff that we can't judge) before a decision is made. The ongoing look at DoF appointments will have an impact too.

Soldato
Im all for appointing DoF first, I just hope they don't take too long to do this - otherwise it will be another summer of limited to no investment in the team , with any investment being made by money men rather than tactics / football decisions.

fez

fez

Caporegime
DoF needs appointing ASAP unless the person we want is unavailable and the other options are poor (which seems unlikely).

It will be interesting to seen how Solskjaer does until the end of the season but DoF doesn't need a trial and shouldn't be a position where they would have to wait until the end of the season.

The worry is that if Ole does really well, gets top 4 and has a bit of a CL run the top brass will just appoint him and see this as validation of their signings and running of the club.

Caporegime
OP
Is it now the case of 'how can they NOT appoint OGS?' rather than 'can they actually appoint OGS'? If he gets them past PSG in the CL then surely they have to give him the job? Sure give him a two year deal or something equally shortish with performance clauses but he'd likely take half of what Zidane or anyone else would ask for leaving more money for wages etc.

Soldato
I want to see how we react to a loss or even going behind. As great as things have been so far there should be more opportunities to see how he handles different situations (and also behind the scenes stuff that we can't judge) before a decision is made. The ongoing look at DoF appointments will have an impact too.

I would tend to agree but its not his fault he has cultivated a team that is winning and not going behind! He is still largely untested as you say though however I think its already at a stage where it would be very hard not to give him the job unless he hits a really bad run. He is saying all the right things, doing all the right things and even in the space of a few weeks you can see his tactics going well beyond the "attack attack attack" and "get everyone playing with a smile" mantra that seemed to be the initial requirement.

The problems we have had since 2013 have centred round incredible levels of spending yet no team being formed. Ole has addressed that in a month so on that basis alone I think it would be very hard for the board to dismiss that and throw in a new man who I can almost guarantee wont win his first 8 games. It was always the danger with the interim appointment - what happens if he does really really well?

fez

fez

Caporegime
The more I hear from Solskjaer the more I like the idea of him as our manager. He makes a lot of sense and seems to be refreshingly honest and able to accept that he has a large part to play in players performances. Perhaps its just because hes the polar opposite of Mourinho but its much better for the team and players to have someone like him in charge.

He was asked about Fred and what he thinks of him and basically said that he likes him and will give him some proper game time soon. He also said what most managers must realise but rarely seem to vocalise. He said that putting fringe players into a team with 9 out of 11 players changed from the usual team does nothing to tell him whether he is ready for first choice selection. Expecting players to perform in a second string in a completely thrown together team is just silly.

Still not 100% sold on him over Poch but if we can't get Poch I think he is easily my firm favourite for the job.

Soldato
I don't want Utd to lose, but we need to see how Ole and the squad perform after a few bad results so we get a full picture.

Is important that DoF and the manager actually get on - even if its just at a professional level (few early rumours of VdS getting DoF - not sure how he has done in his position at Ajax but it might be better if its someone completely external from Utd history) .

Ole without a doubt is acting the right way (actually smiling / laughing) and saying all the right things to the media and while he has already used different tactics / formations - and different players within the same formations - to very good affect, and crediting all of the backroom staff as well as the players themselves.....its the PSG / Liverpool / City (and possibly even Chelsea in the FAC / in the league, although they have struggled a little lately) that will give more of an answer of whether Ole is the right man going forward....

Soldato
..its the PSG / Liverpool / City (and possibly even Chelsea in the FAC / in the league, although they have struggled a little lately) that will give more of an answer of whether Ole is the right man going forward....

Will it though? He's already beaten Spurs/Arsenal which i'm not sure anyone particularly expected.

I'd say that all of those teams (bar possibly Chelsea) have a much better first team than us and you would expect us to lose. He could probably go out and try not to lose and maybe nick a win in one game and a couple draws, but if PSG/Liverpool/City bring their A game then with our defence i don't think he should be blamed if we lose every game.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Will it though? He's already beaten Spurs/Arsenal which i'm not sure anyone particularly expected.

I'd say that all of those teams (bar possibly Chelsea) have a much better first team than us and you would expect us to lose. He could probably go out and try not to lose and maybe nick a win in one game and a couple draws, but if PSG/Liverpool/City bring their A game then with our defence i don't think he should be blamed if we lose every game.

I think this is the reality. I would say we have a better first XI than Chelsea and Arsenal but City, Tottenham and Liverpool are all as good (and better) than us first XI wise and they have all got well established managers and teams that they have built themselves. Expecting Ole to beat any of them is asking a lot. We are seeing the quality of player we have in the side now as opposed to the shadows that Mourinho managed to create but we are still 4 players short of a team that should be competing for the top spots in the league.

Top 4 is a realistic target now and I think both Tottenham and Chelsea are going to drop a fair few points before the end of the season. If we can keep up our form and beat all the teams outside the top 6 I think we should end up in CL places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom