• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 3080 Ventus 3X OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
All the first hand information I've seen from people who actually own this card say it's great. Runs cool and quiet and performance is spot on.

Everyone with something bad to say about it seems to have heard it from somewhere who heard it from someone who heard it from someone.

I'm certainly not bothered.

Associate
Fwiw I checked in the back of the Ventus as it is open and it seems to be built to spec. It has an MLCC block at the back and 5 POSCAPs.

Yeah, I saw this the other week. Ventus owners noticed the stock photos show 6 POSCAPs but their cards featured an MLCC. Ironic that this change solicited worry from some, that something was broken. Rather to the contrary, MSI might have noticed a problem and this was the correction. Better than the Zotac, at least.

7dok39ou03o51.jpg

That being said, there are reports with other AIB cards of some having MLCCs and others not, with some even having 2, while others having none. JayzTwoCents posted a quick update to his video on this an hour ago. https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1309617232201175040

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I saw this the other week. Ventus owners noticed the stock photos show 6 POSCAPs but their cards featured an MLCC. Ironic that this change solicited worry from some, that something was broken. Rather to the contrary, MSI might have noticed a problem and this was the correction. Better than the Zotac, at least.

7dok39ou03o51.jpg

That being said, there are reports with other AIB cards of some having MLCCs and others not, with some even having 2, while others having none. JayzTwoCents posted a quick update to his video on this an hour ago. https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1309617232201175040
Can we see the back of owners cards please. To see what his out there in the wild across a decent cross section

Associate
Worrying because if you look at the response on EVGAs forum they said they couldn't get their cards stable in testing with 6 POSCAPs and their final build is 4 with 2 banks of MLCCs, where as MSI sits between that with 5+1, so better than min spec but still has me worried...this is something I think we need to investigate quickly before we have our cards shipped, this is obviously not something they can fix in the field other than to lower performance which is lame, I don't see mass recalls at this stage ever happening.

Associate
IMG-0363.jpg

This is mine. Looks like MSI changed after the initial release, as you can see on the OcUK Ads, the card has 6. Different than Zotac and Gigabyte that decides to leave with 6.
Maybe there will be a first batch out there with 6? Not Sure.

Associate
IMG-0363.jpg

This is mine. Looks like MSI changed after the initial release, as you can see on the OcUK Ads, the card has 6. Different than Zotac and Gigabyte that decides to leave with 6.
Maybe there will be a first batch out there with 6? Not Sure.

As EVGA confirmed on their forums, they did the media/photography of the cards on an early version, and even shipped that early version to reviewers, but never actually sold any of those cards. I'm hoping it's the same with MSI, if you have a card from them now then you're one of the very early people to get one, hopefully that indicates they didn't release any with 6 POSCAPs. Still leaves open the question if only 1 bank of MLCCs is enough to maintain stability, apparantly Nvidia and EVGA don't think so...

Associate
As EVGA confirmed on their forums, they did the media/photography of the cards on an early version, and even shipped that early version to reviewers, but never actually sold any of those cards. I'm hoping it's the same with MSI, if you have a card from them now then you're one of the very early people to get one, hopefully that indicates they didn't release any with 6 POSCAPs. Still leaves open the question if only 1 bank of MLCCs is enough to maintain stability, apparantly Nvidia and EVGA don't think so...

EVGA specifically says in their announcement that they went with 5+1 for their XC3, but found they needed 4+2 for their FTW3 cards, which suggests from their findings that 5+1 is fine in some circumstances... unfortunately we don't know precisely what other factors are creating the difference between their two models, and how they would translate to the MSI ones.

Associate

According to EVGA, their XC3 cards are 5/1 .... it is the FTW that are 4/2.

They say that is in line with the spec of the cards. So higher clocked parts / higher wattage require at least 4/2 but the lower spec are done with 5/1.

Associate
Yes, I think the MSI X-Trio has 2+4 what will make more stable for OC/higher clocks I guess. Probably the same applies for EVGA as their are top high end quality. Lets hope for average use, 5+1 will be ok. It is early days but so far did not have any crash or anything. But for those with 6, looks like underclocking is the only option. That is reason the ZOTAC Trinity is underclocked by design. They either missed the window to fix before launch or decided to "fix" via software.

Associate
EVGA specifically says in their announcement that they went with 5+1 for their XC3, but found they needed 4+2 for their FTW3 cards, which suggests from their findings that 5+1 is fine in some circumstances... unfortunately we don't know precisely what other factors are creating the difference between their two models, and how they would translate to the MSI ones.

FTW3 and Gaming Trio are the higher end / higher clocked models from each manufacturer.

XC3 and Ventus are lower end cards with smaller power delivery / factory clock.

Associate

According to EVGA, their XC3 cards are 5/1 .... it is the FTW that are 4/2.

They say that is in line with the spec of the cards. So higher clocked parts / higher wattage require at least 4/2 but the lower spec are done with 5/1.

Yes, I think the MSI X-Trio has 2+4 what will make more stable for OC/higher clocks I guess. Probably the same applies for EVGA as their are top high end quality. Lets hope for average use, 5+1 will be ok. It is early days but so far did not have any crash or anything. But for those with 6, looks like underclocking is the only option. That is reason the ZOTAC Trinity is underclocked by design. They either missed the window to fix before launch or decided to "fix" via software.

I sort of suspect there's some kind of quality control going on with these guys as they receive the GPUs and they're binning them with their own internal standards into their product lines, the better GPUs going into the cards with slightly higher default overclocks. If that's the case, and this problem only really seems to occur during really aggressive boosts to near 2000mhz then it seems very plausible that 5+1 is fine for the lower end cards and 4+2 is necessary for those boosting slightly higher.

I given the fairly small delta in clock speeds between these products I feel like this might be a bit of a nothingburger, maybe we need to drop/offset clocks a small amount to bring back stability which can be done in a BIOS update.

Associate
I sort of suspect there's some kind of quality control going on with these guys as they receive the GPUs and they're binning them with their own internal standards into their product lines, the better GPUs going into the cards with slightly higher default overclocks. If that's the case, and this problem only really seems to occur during really aggressive boosts to near 2000mhz then it seems very plausible that 5+1 is fine for the lower end cards and 4+2 is necessary for those boosting slightly higher.

I given the fairly small delta in clock speeds between these products I feel like this might be a bit of a nothingburger, maybe we need to drop/offset clocks a small amount to bring back stability which can be done in a BIOS update.

From what I read pre-release on EVGA's forums they aren't binning the chips they put in boards, but they are testing the boards that come pre-overclocked to make sure they can hit that point (which sounds like a slightly less effective binning to me).

The fact that both EVGA and ASUS delayed their high end card, and we now have a statement from EVGA that was because of finding issues related to the capacitors in their case, makes me think at least for them thorough testing has happened and is done on their cards before shipping them out. As someone who ordered the Gaming X Trio rather than the Ventus I hope that MSI's lack of shipments since the 18th (and from what was said then and a few people have been told by OC, that was a tiny shipment. I think I remember seeing someone report only 5 Gaming X Trio were in that batch) mean that MSI spotted/heard about these issues, even if slightly too late, and manufacture was delayed slightly to fix the issue (and hopefully the few who got them in early shipments will get something sorted for them too).

Associate
From what I read pre-release on EVGA's forums they aren't binning the chips they put in boards, but they are testing the boards that come pre-overclocked to make sure they can hit that point (which sounds like a slightly less effective binning to me).

The fact that both EVGA and ASUS delayed their high end card, and we now have a statement from EVGA that was because of finding issues related to the capacitors in their case, makes me think at least for them thorough testing has happened and is done on their cards before shipping them out. As someone who ordered the Gaming X Trio rather than the Ventus I hope that MSI's lack of shipments since the 18th (and from what was said then and a few people have been told by OC, that was a tiny shipment. I think I remember seeing someone report only 5 Gaming X Trio were in that batch) mean that MSI spotted/heard about these issues, even if slightly too late, and manufacture was delayed slightly to fix the issue (and hopefully the few who got them in early shipments will get something sorted for them too).

Yeah a lot of the inconsistent delays are starting to make sense now. I also noted that the clocks were TBC on many of the product pages on OCUK store in the early days which seemed odd and why I went for the cheaper Ventus myself, it could have been they were in the middle of a last minute change. Taking this one step further, if there was a big last minute delay or recall of cards to be fixed, it could explain lack of stock up front and, fingers crossed, maybe larger volumes coming out over the next few weeks as this is fixed. Only problem with that is I don't see them actually replacing the components, I suspect it'll be a BIOS update to limit speeds so there could still be an initial bad batch just with lower clocks, which would suck.

Soldato
Ive played GTA V with NVE mod + Reshade all today and not had one crash. Boosting over 2070 sometimes. MSI Ventus OC.

1 MLCC block and 5 SP-CAP

Last edited:
Associate
I'm definitely curious to see any news on your order.

I ordered mine from the same place on 17th for the same price.
Confirmation email at 14:14.
Order tracking says Order Received at 15:53
Payment Authorised at 16:57

When I spoke with CS they told me as an estimate that I'd be looking at 'October/November'.

Also spoke to CS, sounds like theyre sticking to the same scipt, October / November. Will report back if situation changes.

Associate
Also spoke to CS, sounds like theyre sticking to the same scipt, October / November. Will report back if situation changes.

My order (here in Norway) was originally tagged with 30/09/2020. Then it was pushed by a week yesterday, to 07/10/2020.
I spoke with them and the dude quite frankly told me that they don't know when things are in stock but they did say they got some cards here and there
and were continiously sending them out to customers. Here's hoping next week is my week. That being said, I'm using a 2080Ti atm so it's not like it's the end of the world I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom