• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition - How To Unlock The Power ***

Well I ran heaven dx11 for 30 mins and it peaked at 85c and would hit this temp quite often. I removed the sound-card and it barely made a difference. The fan on the first card is also very noisy! Battlefield has also crashed whilst playing, so not sure if its the new ati drivers or the card.

After purchasing one of these cards, I've come back to this thread to grab the custom bios and install it, but notice that the inital post was removed. Now, I'm not too fussed about the shaders, but was hoping to get the unlocked overclocking abilities.

Does anyone know if there is a copy of the bios still available anywhere?

Thanks!

Follow gcaster's method on page 3 of this thread as he has managed to unlock them so you might get lucky :)

Well I ran heaven dx11 for 30 mins and it peaked at 85c and would hit this temp quite often. I removed the sound-card and it barely made a difference. The fan on the first card is also very noisy! Battlefield has also crashed whilst playing, so not sure if its the new ati drivers or the card.

Hi Phil,

The 11.4 and 11.5 Catalyst 64-bit Win7 drivers didn't work for this card for me, at all. I had nothing but bluescreens, weird fps, locking up, crashing and general mayhem in weird situations when running either one.
Try the 11.5b hotfix version, you get it from the catalyst download page, under the normal OS selection. Or here, it'll say 11.5a hotfix but apparently even that was replaced by b already.

Running the 11.5b I can't get my card even with Furmark or Heaven to go above 61 degrees. Idle temp is 40 degrees when watching blurays/mkv's. Benches at stock are very nice numbers, and compared to the 4890 I had before it's very quiet too.

I think the 80 something is way too high for this card, don't think it's the drivers but never hurts to try. :)

Last edited:
Can people post their overclocks with this card, preferably tested in a few hours long session in BFBC2?

I'm really having troubles to get a stable overclock out of it.

Best I can get my card to is 900/1390 stable. I've had this running for up to about 6 hours of constant gaming (Rift with everything on max, inc supersampling) but pushing either CC or MC any higher causes crashes.
This is with the card running in CrossFire mind but I know my first card (XFX Reference card, under water) was stable at 950/1440 before adding the MSI card so I am pretty confident it's the MSI card causing the issues.

I've managed to run Heaven as high as 930/1400 and I could have probably pushed the MC a bit higher on this.

Cooling wise I find this card to be very impressive, it idles just 2-3 degrees higher than my watercooled card at around 35C and at load it peaks around 70C with the flashed bios. This is with unlocked shaders and a GPU core voltage of 1.2V and it still only runs 5-10C hotter than my watercooled card under load with the voltage at 1.175V. Considering my reference card was hitting almost 100C at load and sounded like a plane at take off I'd say these are pretty impressive from MSI.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the clock speeds are obviously kept at the same values on each card when in CrossFire.

Out of interest what is it clocked to? also how do you find the cooling on this card?

I could clock to 900+/1375 at stock volts, stable in everything but BFBC2.

There's something about BC2 making MSI cards cry, I've had many cards before and only the MSI ones had memory problems with BC2. Luck of draw I guess? :confused::o

I could clock to 900+/1375 at stock volts, stable in everything but BFBC2.

There's something about BC2 making MSI cards cry, I've had many cards before and only the MSI ones had memory problems with BC2. Luck of draw I guess? :confused::o

Do you get any kind of screen flicker in bc2? I occasionally get a black screen whichstops me from seeing anything, as if I'm temporally blinded.

Do you get any kind of screen flicker in bc2? I occasionally get a black screen whichstops me from seeing anything, as if I'm temporally blinded.

Not at all but I do get stuttering (or rather freezing) in the first 15-30 seconds of loading a map.

And yet there are people like drifiting on these Forums that will tell you that 2GB vRAM is a must and gets rid of any fps spikes :p

Also, GTA IV doesn't seem to work any better than it did on my R5850 1GB.

What sort of temperatures are peoples cards running at? I've got one 6950 TF3, no unlocking / extra OC, and its running at ~47C idle with 2 monitors connected.

What sort of temperatures are peoples cards running at? I've got one 6950 TF3, no unlocking / extra OC, and its running at ~47C idle with 2 monitors connected.

35c idle, slightly higher when browsing and around 60c at load.

why cant i change the voltage in afterburner even when iv enabled it its still grayed out???

Have you got the latest Afterburner beta?

Use Low Leakage in settings and also make sure that both voltage options are unlocked and you restart Afterburner.

Back
Top Bottom