• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition - How To Unlock The Power ***

another success here
results: furmark 1.9.0 benchmark preset 1080, Cat 11.5
6950: 1688
6950 +20%: 2142
6970: 2314
6970 +20%: 2314 (???)

card bought from a certain "woman-warrior" website in France on the 3rd of June (ocuk had the best price around EU, but the crazy euro35 shipping to Cyprus killed it)
ScottiB deserves apologies!!!

unlock.png

have you tried it in a different slot?

No but what does it matter if the previous card worked just fine?

I will try it in my other PC tomorrow, we shall see if the problem lies in my OS/drivers.

After that I'm going to roll back to the previous BIOS, if that doesn't resolve anything, the card is going back.

Unfortunately the retailer I purchased it from is not OcUK so I'm expecting problems/delays...

Tempted to download BC2 just to check if the game is really at fault.

Been running Civ5, Witcher 2, EVE and Crysis 2 all maxed out for days now with no faults whatsoever that weren't my own or ATI's crummy driver's fault. Really can't believe that an issue with hardware can cause only 1 game to malfunction.

To explain "ATI's crummy drivers":
Catalyst 11.4 Windows Experience Index 7.4 (a bit low yeh?) and two crashes.
Catalyst 11.5 Windows Experience Index 5.8 because it couldn't get through one run without at least 3 driver malfunctions in both DirectX9 and DirectX10 testing phases, 2D and 3D.
Both never got through a 3DMark Vantage to the end without locking up the PC.

Removed all trace of anything ATI/Catalyst from my PC and installed 11.5b and the card has been amazing ever since. I had a MSI 4890 before, I think upgrading from that one somehow ****ed up the drivers that I then re-installed for the new card. That's just theory tho.

Everything runs stable and way above reference 6950's at the moment tho. Wouldn't go bashing the card for being crap, would say ATI needs to QA their drivers better.

Tempted to download BC2 just to check if the game is really at fault.

Been running Civ5, Witcher 2, EVE and Crysis 2 all maxed out for days now with no faults whatsoever that weren't my own or ATI's crummy driver's fault. Really can't believe that an issue with hardware can cause only 1 game to malfunction.

To explain "ATI's crummy drivers":
Catalyst 11.4 Windows Experience Index 7.4 (a bit low yeh?) and two crashes.
Catalyst 11.5 Windows Experience Index 5.8 because it couldn't get through one run without at least 3 driver malfunctions in both DirectX9 and DirectX10 testing phases, 2D and 3D.
Both never got through a 3DMark Vantage to the end without locking up the PC.

Removed all trace of anything ATI/Catalyst from my PC and installed 11.5b and the card has been amazing ever since. I had a MSI 4890 before, I think upgrading from that one somehow ****ed up the drivers that I then re-installed for the new card. That's just theory tho.

Everything runs stable and way above reference 6950's at the moment tho. Wouldn't go bashing the card for being crap, would say ATI needs to QA their drivers better.

I bought this card and installed the standard amd drivers and get 7.9 on the windows experience index and can run 3dmark vantage easily and get a decent score on 3dmark 11,

so far the card has been amazing for performance, it's just a shame that the cooler is so damn loud under load

Quite happy with my two cards so far. Got them running well now but not overclocked. Will do that when I have more time. Battlefield runs great on my new monitor and I'm glad I bought them.

what did you do to get them running well, i thought i fixed it but then 2 days later i got another crash.

I'm not sure what fixed it tbh mate, I installed the latest drivers and I also set the game into dx11 mode, rather than auto. This I think has made it more stable but I only played for about an hour last night. Tonight I'll probably have a longer session. There was a tiny bit of black screen flickering but not enough to bother me and not half as bad as what it was. Apparently bloom and the fact the game is on auto for dx selection can cause this. I didn't want to knock bloom off though :)

ok, I figured out why I cannot get a stable OC past 900- the max voltage I can apply is 1.15 even with the latest AB 2.2.0.beta3(there is space on the slider but no result), gpu-z 0.5.3 reports constant voltage of 1.200, GPU Caps says Max VDDC of 1.150, no matter how I change it Furmark 1.9.0 reports only up to 1.150
for those who missed my post shaders already unlocked

ok, I figured out why I cannot get a stable OC past 900- the max voltage I can apply is 1.15 even with the latest AB 2.2.0.beta3(there is space on the slider but no result), gpu-z 0.5.3 reports constant voltage of 1.200, GPU Caps says Max VDDC of 1.150, no matter how I change it Furmark 1.9.0 reports only up to 1.150
for those who missed my post shaders already unlocked

GPU-Z reports wrong voltage, use Afterburner beta 3 and set Low Leakage in settings.

ok so iv tried

11.5 cap 4 with and without CCC
different slot
lowering the core speed / upping the voltage to 1.164 on stock

going to try

change dx setting in BC2 from auto to 11

other games have been stable since i changed a few things apart from bc2 still

ok so iv tried

11.5 cap 4 with and without CCC
different slot
lowering the core speed / upping the voltage to 1.164 on stock

going to try

change dx setting in BC2 from auto to 11

other games have been stable since i changed a few things apart from bc2 still

Have you uninstalled Afterburner?

I use CCC 11.5b without any Application Profiles and no Afterburner installed (as it conflicts with PB).

Back
Top Bottom