MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) Quick Auto Voltage OC Guide and Reference

Associate
But when trying to change the core limit values and the long duration maintained value nothing happens, i.e. I press enter and no list comes up. Or perhaps I was stupid and you have to type in the value with no dropdown list?

Either way, the post errors concern me as I do not see how I can ever update my BIOS (I have heard bad things about updating them with Live Update)

Thanks!

I know its been ages since this post, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents as I wanted to ask a question about it anyway.

Have you tried getting into the BIOS and then inserting the USB stick? (Silly question I know)

Also I found the pressing enter thing the same on mine when I've just done it too, I managed to get around it by clicking like crazy on the option till it came up.

Moving on to my own question, is there any way to limit Auto volts? I set auto, and the settings laid out in the original post (fantastic helpful guide btw) and I was getting a bit warm, so I thought I'd set Volts manually, and went from 1.36/7 (reported in CPU-Z) to 1.27 and saved a good 10-15^oC and so far stable as anything. Of course when it drops the multiplier, my volts stay there...

I know there's a few posts about this in the thread, but I can't seem to find a resolution post, or maybe I read it and misinterpreted it... Either way, anyone mind giving me a quick bottom line on this?

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Unfortunately there is no way to set the maximum voltage when using auto voltage. It depends on how much the VID is required for your cpu at the speed it's set. So the only way to lower it is to drop the multiplier.
4.7 seems to be the sweet spot with mine( 1.36v), after that the voltage jumps up quite a bit.

Soldato
I got this board a little while ago and I'm new to this platform so I need a little help re overclocking.

I'm at 4GHz at the moment but I notcied that if I set the vcore to auto CPU-Z reports it as 1.36v which is a lot for such a relatively low overclock for these chips so I've set it manually to 1.3v and IBT is happy at that voltage and temps are pretty much 10c lower on ever core which is nice! My problem is that despite having the C-state set to C2 the voltage remains constant even though the multi is dropping down when idle. Is this a bug or do I need to choose a different C-state to get the vcore to drop when idle?

Last edited:
Soldato
I got this board a little while ago and I'm new to this platform so I need a little help re overclocking.

I'm at 4GHz at the moment but I notcied that if I set the vcore to auto CPU-Z reports it as 1.36v which is a lot for such a relatively low overclock for these chips so I've set it manually to 1.3v and IBT is happy at that voltage and temps are pretty much 10c lower on ever core which is nice! My problem is that despite having the C-state set to C2 the voltage remains constant even though the multi is dropping down when idle. Is this a bug or do I need to choose a different C-state to get the vcore to drop when idle?

EDIT: Nm, just realised the same question was asked above, didn't see that there was a page 4 of this thread!

Associate
OP
You might still get a higher overclock at the same voltage though, it might be worth pushing the clocks higher just to see what the auto voltage does.
Other than that, and if you are confident in flashing you can try the latest beta BIOS which for Sandybridge is N84.
Don't be tempted to try the new Ivybridge BIOS yet (P1, P2)available on the MSI.com as there is no way to revert to the Sandybridge bios if things don't work out.

If you join the MSI User forum you can view the beta bios thread here

If you don't want to join you can download the N84 Bios from here

It is recommended to use the MSI HQ USB Flash Tool, not any other method.

You can download the tool and read the instructions here.

Please only do this if you are confident in flashing and really need to, I have had no problems flashing my board multiple times, but there is always a slight risk of bricking your board.

Associate
Any updates to this guide ?
I did overclock my GD55-g3 some time ago but been replacing parts, reverted and now it doesnt seem to work.

I have updated bios, also some time ago, and now there is no C2 state selection, some other bits where you need select number i get auto in the sequence instead of number - cpu ppl is needed to be changed to 1.800v, i can only get 1.8100 or a step below 1.800, but not 1.800, which is replaced by auto in voltage choice sequence...

Put my rig under water, so would like to try to crank it up a notch :D (over 4.5ghz, that i did on air... same board, same cpu)

#Edit# Restored defaults, just for **** and giggles - wild C2 state has appeared... However i still dont get OC. Also, i cant change "Cpu Phase Control", i only get either Auto or Disabled...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The P version bios, although can be used with Sandy are really intended for Ivybridge, I had problems using the P bios myself. Basically my OC wouldn't go as high. If you can, revert to the latest N series which is N88 I think.
However because the Pxx bios updates the ME7 driver to ME8 you might have to revert to N70 first otherwise the flash will fail.
Read this thread here and use the attached bios from Leon in the second post.
Then you can find N88 here in the second post from Svet. Make sure to use the MSI USB Flashing Tool

Associate
Something got screwed up in power settings in windows. I had 100% min and 100% max set in advanced. No idea why or how.

Its about time i reinstalled anyway. Back in a tick.

P.S. Whats ME7-8 ?

Associate
OP
Its some intel driver, me7 is for sandy and me8 for ivy it automatically gets updated when you install a Pxx bios, but you have to use the n70 bios to revert it back to ME7. After that you can flash any Nxx bios.

Associate
i have the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) board and recently purchased an asus 3gb R9 280x TOP graphics card

when installed it would not post , spinning fans nothing else. no beeps

had to upgrade to latest bios for non ivy bridge cpu N88

please note the bios doesn't seem to mention anything to do with pci-e or graphics !:D

just a heads up for anyone upgrading cards !

Back
Top Bottom