MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) Quick Auto Voltage OC Guide and Reference

Associate
Tried that tekgun. :( no cigar. I will try again when I get home today. Could it be because my. Bios is n30? Do I need a newer beta bios? ... Also I read the ocuk over locking guidelines saying men volts should not exceed 1.5v. I have it on auto with XMP enabled. So that's a bad move then?

Associate
OP
I don't think it's the BIOS, the latest stable should be okay.
I would restore the default settings, by "Mainboard Settings" > "Save and Exit" > "Restore Default". (you might need to set your IDE configuration again if you need it in ACHI or RAID)
Then save and reboot, this will load the optimised default settings which as standard should overclock your cpu to about 3.6- 3.7. Just put it under load from prime95 or something similar to see what happens.

Associate
I don't think it's the BIOS, the latest stable should be okay.
I would restore the default settings, by "Mainboard Settings" > "Save and Exit" > "Restore Default". (you might need to set your IDE configuration again if you need it in ACHI or RAID)
Then save and reboot, this will load the optimised default settings which as standard should overclock your cpu to about 3.6- 3.7. Just put it under load from prime95 or something similar to see what happens.

Tried again. :( with optimised defaults my CPU hits a max of x34 multiplier (BIOS setting for Opt Defaults is 37,36,35,34 on cores 1-4). But when I go back and set all the settings in your post and the multiplier to 44x it doesn't work. Back in Windows the max the multiplier goes is 34x again. I wonder if it's because I'm on windows 8 for some reason. Looks like I'll have to go back to the old fashioned overclock. :(

Associate
awesome guide !

thanks for taking the time to write it ;)

i was using the other method by manually changing the mutiplier and setting the cpu vcore myself, but was unhappy with constantly having to put through 1.3v when the processor had underclocked itself.

now i am using less than 1v (0.9v) when idle.

really loving this board.

my current overclock is 4.3 , i can't get windows to boot with 4.4 or above just getting flashing cursor. using latest official bios and same settings listed in your opening post. any ideas where to start if trying for 4.4 or above ? was hoping for 4.7 (ish) if possible.

thanks Dan !

Associate
Tried again. :( with optimised defaults my CPU hits a max of x34 multiplier (BIOS setting for Opt Defaults is 37,36,35,34 on cores 1-4). But when I go back and set all the settings in your post and the multiplier to 44x it doesn't work. Back in Windows the max the multiplier goes is 34x again. I wonder if it's because I'm on windows 8 for some reason. Looks like I'll have to go back to the old fashioned overclock. :(

This may be a daft question, but do you have the MSi control centre application installed? And is 'Adjust CPU Ratio in OS' enabled in your bios? If so, the MSI software may be preventing your overclock. There is an option in the control centre to set the multiplier, and it may be set at 34...

This scenario happened to me, and about sent me round the twist until I realised... :)

Associate
OP
^^ good call, the only other setting I could think of would be the "Overspeed Protection" in CPU features

awesome guide !

thanks for taking the time to write it ;)

i was using the other method by manually changing the mutiplier and setting the cpu vcore myself, but was unhappy with constantly having to put through 1.3v when the processor had underclocked itself.

now i am using less than 1v (0.9v) when idle.

really loving this board.

my current overclock is 4.3 , i can't get windows to boot with 4.4 or above just getting flashing cursor. using latest official bios and same settings listed in your opening post. any ideas where to start if trying for 4.4 or above ? was hoping for 4.7 (ish) if possible.

thanks Dan !

;) thanks
Other than making sure your RAM is getting enough voltage, I'm not sure what else you can do.
It could be just bad luck and the CPU needs more than the auto voltage will give out.
What GHz can you get manually and at what voltage?
MSI released a new stable bios just before Christmas it might be worth giving that a shot, as it is possible they have changed the values of the auto voltage.

Associate
Cheers for the how to.

I had only done an OC on manual volts. Could not get your way to work, but then re-did it using normal bios and an ipad to read the guide! duh.

Now running same 4.5ghz OC but with autovolts. At load its 1.36v. Pretty high but same as manual OC. Cant get past 4.6 at 1.4 so fairly happy with 4.5.

Dont want to put more than 1.4 through it. Was hoping i'd see 5ghz out of this board just to say been there done that.

Seems a lot of extra vcore to get anything significant. So the chip doesnt seem like the best OC'er. nevermind. Happy with it.

Only thing I dont know is how to control the fans. Only found a way to control CPU fan. Even then the fan spins well above minimum at idle. This is my biggest grief with this board. My old asus was far better in this respect.

Associate
Thanks for the guide.
I've followed it through for my I5 2500k, but the speed step doesn't kick in when idle.
Anyone got an idea as to what could be causing the multiplier to sty locked at 4.2GHz?

Associate
Sorted the problem.
I recently replaced my raid drive with a single HDD. I would appear this was the problem. I did a format c:\ and re-installed windows and speedstep works fine now.

Associate
sorry in advance for bumping this old thread

I'm currently using the Z68A GD80 (G3) board, I followed all the instruction exactly the same from the first post. but still can't get out of the 34x multiplier
zone. What's missing from my setup? I'm using i7 2600K FYI

Associate

I'm currently using the Z68A GD80 (G3) board, I followed all the instruction exactly the same from the first post. but still can't get out of the 34x multiplier

Soldato

Same here. No idea why it didn't work for me.

Post your settings in this thread, I clock mine differently to the original thread.

This is the settings I use within CPU Features and within ECO - Energy Saving sections of the BIOS - note different CPU's need different voltages.

MSI Z68A-GD65/55 (G3) - Overclock Settings
msisetting.jpg

EIST = [Enabled]
Eup 2013 = [Disabled]
CPU Phase Control = [Intel SVID Mode]
C1E Support = [Enabled]
Intel C-State = [Disabled]

I have listed my bios settings below in the MSI UEFI Bios Screenshots.

cpuidj.jpg
aida6446ghzcpuid.jpg
cpuz46ghz.jpg

coretemp46ghz.jpg
ibt46ghzmax.jpg
ibt46ghzreport.jpg

pic1wej.jpg
pic2jc.jpg

pic3dd.jpg
pic4nf.jpg

Associate
OP
Really nice post Nelly ;)

edit; just to add the only time my board did not overclock properly was due to a bugged BIOS which has now been fixed.
So if people have tried both methods and still get no joy, then it might be worth looking at that.

Last edited:
Associate
New Build

Hi guys, great thread

I have just bought myself a new build z68a gd55, 2500k, Corsair 600t se case and MSI Twin Frozr 2 6950. I havn't overclocked a cpu since my old athlon so i will be reading up. I have 2x4gb of mushkin radioactive RAM. 9-9-9-24. Can I adjust these timings or not? What is xmp, I think my ram has this option. I have my 2500k under water ( XSPC RASA rs240 kit) hoping to reach the 5 ghz mark but will be taking it slowly, thanks again for this post Nelly, will report soon

Rasher

Associate
Nice post, thanks. Running an i5 2500K with a Z68A-GD55 (23.6 BIOS) with your settings except max multi is at 44. Using Corsair H50 getting around 35-40C idle and 65-75C full load. Volts at 1.376 in cpu-z. Would like slightly lower temps but the 1156 mobo bracket doesn't quite fit (needs to be bent and stretched) and core 2 idles at least 5-10C lower than the others. Anyone recommend a good budget cooler to cope with the overclock?

Associate
I have a Core i52500K + MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) board setup and:

Ok so like, I have a major problem with my BIOS, if I try and plug a USB drive into my PC (my External HD and my USB PenDrive) I get post errors when trying to load the BIOS (B4 or B2 in the bottom right of my screen) Take them out and reboot and I can get into the BIOS fine.

I have noticed this issue for a while, but just got on with it as my PC on the whole runs perfectly other than this issue

I was trying to follow your guide in my BIOS and I managed to alter all the settings (which were available on my v23.0 BIOS)

But when trying to change the core limit values and the long duration maintained value nothing happens, i.e. I press enter and no list comes up. Or perhaps I was stupid and you have to type in the value with no dropdown list?

Either way, the post errors concern me as I do not see how I can ever update my BIOS (I have heard bad things about updating them with Live Update)

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Nice post, thanks. Running an i5 2500K with a Z68A-GD55 (23.6 BIOS) with your settings except max multi is at 44. Using Corsair H50 getting around 35-40C idle and 65-75C full load. Volts at 1.376 in cpu-z. Would like slightly lower temps but the 1156 mobo bracket doesn't quite fit (needs to be bent and stretched) and core 2 idles at least 5-10C lower than the others. Anyone recommend a good budget cooler to cope with the overclock?

1156 should be exactly the same as 1155, maybe try reseating. Temps seem about right if by full load you mean stress testing, you'll likely see lower temps from general usage including gaming.

I have a Core i52500K + MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) board setup and:

Ok so like, I have a major problem with my BIOS, if I try and plug a USB drive into my PC (my External HD and my USB PenDrive) I get post errors when trying to load the BIOS (B4 or B2 in the bottom right of my screen) Take them out and reboot and I can get into the BIOS fine.

I have noticed this issue for a while, but just got on with it as my PC on the whole runs perfectly other than this issue

I was trying to follow your guide in my BIOS and I managed to alter all the settings (which were available on my v23.0 BIOS)

But when trying to change the core limit values and the long duration maintained value nothing happens, i.e. I press enter and no list comes up. Or perhaps I was stupid and you have to type in the value with no dropdown list?

Either way, the post errors concern me as I do not see how I can ever update my BIOS (I have heard bad things about updating them with Live Update)

Thanks!

Well if there is no other way to update the BIOS then you could try the Live Update option in the BIOS, I have successfully updated this way before I knew about the MSI USB method.

Back
Top Bottom