• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Thats a high fan speed to temp ratio ! My Gaming X Trio with a manual/profile set up will run at 64 deg with 60% fan speed.
I think for the £650 I paid that is fine, the money I saved could pay for water cooling over shelling out extra on a high end model for a few extra degrees.

Soldato
Indeed, I considered that route, but TBH I preferred the convenience of a stock air cooled card, horses for courses ;) And you did well to grab one for the list price :D

Soldato
Indeed, I considered that route, but TBH I preferred the convenience of a stock air cooled card, horses for courses ;) And you did well to grab one for the list price :D
Yeah it's still a massive boost over my old gtx 1070ti, I've gone from running apex legends at 1080p low to 1440p max for maintaining 144hz.

Soldato
If your case has good airflow thats not an issue, TBH I would rather that than blow hot air directly onto my ram.

Yep I've got decent airflow. With the Lian Li o11 air case I've already managed to do most of this (with the exception of the front fans and the CPU AIO needing replacing) but the plan when I remove my current AIO card which is blowing out of the front from my machine and put in the Ventus is to have lots of fresh air blowing in from 3x120mm on the floor of the case, 3x120mm on the front of the case, 3x120mm on the side of the case and 3/6x120mm mounted on a H150i radiator blowing air out of the case from the top. Might also get 2x 80mm fans to blow air out for the back of the case to max out my ability to mount fans to the case lol but undecided.

Soldato
My CPU is under water, and I have 2x120mm top exhaust fans and 2x 92mm rear exhaust fans.
360mm radiator is in the lower compartment with its own 120mm fans.
There is one 120 intake and the case has plenty of ventilation at the bottom to draw in cool air.
They are all temp controlled the rad fans via cpu temp, and the case fans via mobo temp, which is taken near the mobo VRMs.
When under gaming I get some warm air out of the rear fans near the mobo VRMs, the top fans are still pumping out quite cool.

Associate
Because that's how Nvidia Boost works, its perfectly normal. Nvidia chips automatically clock higher than the stock specs by default to gain more performance, as long as certain temp and power limits are maintained. Limits and curves set by Nvidia and the manufacturers vbios.

What seems to be happening here is that Msi haven't tuned the vbios limits correctly, and its boosting to a point of instability. Hence manually downclocking the curve by 50Mhz is enough to keep stability and performance where its supposed to be. No doubt Msi will release a vbios update.

Alright good info thanks, coming from a 3 year old 1080 so looking forward to the upgrade (which I was intending to leave 100% stock) so a little worried that it seems currently any third party boards need to be tweaked just to be stable!

Soldato
Another thing that is strange is that MSI stated that the normal clock speed is 1440Mhz but it never goes that low even in idle, and the boost clock is 1740Mhz and that is the speed it sits at in idle. But as soon as you go in game its starts overclocking itself upwards towards 2010Mhz and crashes itself.

Is it still sitting at boost speed when idling on desktop, now that you have fixed the crashing problem by down clocking the card? If so, can you do us a favour when you get chance, can you tell us what the power usage is when sitting on desktop on idle? GPUz should tell you this on the sensors tab. I've been trying to gauge how much power these cards will be using when idle, compared to in actual use, since even with a lowly 980ti I have never had the card clock down to power saving 450MHz mode whatever I do, so I am wondering what the draw would be on a 3080, assuming this goes the same way (multiple monitors, gsync etc are the issues causing it apparently). My 980ti uses about 70W sitting doing nothing on the desktop, with clocks stuck high.

Associate
OP
Is it still sitting at boost speed when idling on desktop, now that you have fixed the crashing problem by down clocking the card? If so, can you do us a favour when you get chance, can you tell us what the power usage is when sitting on desktop on idle? GPUz should tell you this on the sensors tab. I've been trying to gauge how much power these cards will be using when idle, compared to in actual use, since even with a lowly 980ti I have never had the card clock down to power saving 450MHz mode whatever I do, so I am wondering what the draw would be on a 3080, assuming this goes the same way (multiple monitors, gsync etc are the issues causing it apparently). My 980ti uses about 70W sitting doing nothing on the desktop, with clocks stuck high.

So since i fixed the crashes by down clocking it, it is no longer sitting at boost speeds (1740mhz) on idle on the desktop and goes all the way down to 210mhz core clock and 405mhz memory clock in idle, and the board power draw is 24W and GPU voltage is 0.7310V with 7.6% TDP power consumption if this is the info your after.

Associate
OP
So this was the expirence i got after contacting MSI directly LOL

ME - "So i recently recieved my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC and i'm getting crashing problems with it. So basically when im in game within the first few seconds of playing it crashes and i believe the problem is the factory overclock is too high, as the core clock speed boosts all the way up to 2010Mhz in game and as soon as it reaches that speed it crashes. It does this in all games. The only way i can fix this problem is by downclocking the core clock in msi after burner. Another thing that is strange is that MSI stated that the normal clock speed is 1440Mhz but it never goes that low even in idle, and the boost clock is 1740Mhz and that is the speed it sits at in idle. But as soon as you go in game its starts overclocking itself upwards towards 2010Mhz and crashes itself. I use no auto overclocking software of any kind, and haven't tried to overclock it once. the only thing i have done is downclock it to make it actully work in game. i am also using all the lastest Nvidia Drivers."

MSI - "suggest change a big power PSU, recommended PSU 750W. THANKS!"

ME - "Hi thanks for the reply, I currently have a brand new 750w PSU (Corsair tx750m)"

MSI - "thanks for your troubleshooting, In this case, you need to contact your retailer, ask for repair or replacement option. thanks!"

Now i don't know whether or not i should ask for a RMA from Overclockers UK or wait for new drivers or something, as i don't want to wait too long and then not be able to return it if it is actully faulty

Associate
So this was the expirence i got after contacting MSI directly LOL

ME - "So i recently recieved my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC and i'm getting crashing problems with it. So basically when im in game within the first few seconds of playing it crashes and i believe the problem is the factory overclock is too high, as the core clock speed boosts all the way up to 2010Mhz in game and as soon as it reaches that speed it crashes. It does this in all games. The only way i can fix this problem is by downclocking the core clock in msi after burner. Another thing that is strange is that MSI stated that the normal clock speed is 1440Mhz but it never goes that low even in idle, and the boost clock is 1740Mhz and that is the speed it sits at in idle. But as soon as you go in game its starts overclocking itself upwards towards 2010Mhz and crashes itself. I use no auto overclocking software of any kind, and haven't tried to overclock it once. the only thing i have done is downclock it to make it actully work in game. i am also using all the lastest Nvidia Drivers."

MSI - "suggest change a big power PSU, recommended PSU 750W. THANKS!"

ME - "Hi thanks for the reply, I currently have a brand new 750w PSU (Corsair tx750m)"

MSI - "thanks for your troubleshooting, In this case, you need to contact your retailer, ask for repair or replacement option. thanks!"

Now i don't know whether or not i should ask for a RMA from Overclockers UK or wait for new drivers or something, as i don't want to wait too long and then not be able to return it if it is actully faulty

Seeing the number of threads from the small number of people with these cards, pretty sure it's a bios /and drive issue rather than so many faulty units, not that it isn't a possibility really.

Card has a three year warranty I don't see any point rushing to return it at this stage if got it running with a downclock and possible official fix round the corner.

Associate
OP
Also if anyone else has this card or similar 3080 and has 3DMark would you please do me a favour and tell me what your graphics score is on time spy, mine was 17,483 at -50 in msi after burner as i can't run it on defualt settings without crashing. If you don't have time spy could you tell me what your max boost clock speed went to in games without crashing mine was 1980MHz. I'm just trying to figure out if my card is performing similar to other 3080 cards, or if there is any underlying problems which might cause crashing. I would also love it if any MSI 3080 ventus owners that have had no problems at all could tell me what your max core clock went to in game to see if there are many ventus cards that can run at 2000MHz+ stable at defualt settings (no manual overclock or down clock) so then we can see if all ventus cards struggle at 2000MHz+ or to see if some are just boosting way higher than others.

Thanks all the help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Seeing the number of threads from the small number of people with these cards, pretty sure it's a bios /and drive issue rather than so many faulty units, not that it isn't a possibility really.

Card has a three year warranty I don't see any point rushing to return it at this stage if got it running with a downclock and possible official fix round the corner.

Okay thanks that's relaxed me a bit lol. so is the three year waranty with msi then not overclockers uk ?

Soldato
Also if anyone else has this card or similar 3080 and has 3DMark would you please do me a favour and tell me what your graphics score is on time spy, mine was 17,483 at -50 in msi after burner as i can't run it on defualt settings without crashing. If you don't have time spy could you tell me what your max boost clock speed went to in games without crashing mine was 1980MHz. I'm just trying to figure out if my card is performing similar to other 3080 cards, or if there is any underlying problems which might cause crashing. I would also love it if any MSI 3080 ventus owners that have had no problems at all could tell me what your max core clock went to in game to see if there are many ventus cards that can run at 2000MHz+ stable at defualt settings (no manual overclock or down clock) so then we can see if all ventus cards struggle at 2000MHz+ or to see if some are just boosting way higher than others.

Thanks all the help is much appreciated
17394 graphics score totally stock configuration - I only received it today and had 5 mins on my lunch break to try it so the only time I've used my gpu and can't say whether it is stable out of the box or not.

Associate
I noticed on the Hexus review for the MSI Gaming X Trio (the card I'm in the queue for) that during overclocking tests they got it stable at 1865MHz, but 10MHz more was enough to crash it. And that's on the OC variant which you'd expect to be better binned and able to reach higher speeds. So certainly sounds ambitious to try and get the Ventus above 2GHz. :)

Associate
OP
17394 graphics score totally stock configuration - I only received it today and had 5 mins on my lunch break to try it so the only time I've used my gpu and can't say whether it is stable out of the box or not.

Thanks so much, basically the same score as mine. When you get some spare time could you please be so kind as to tell me your max core speed while playing a game. You can use software such as GPUZ or hwinfo64 to see max core speed. Thanks again you've been very helpful

Associate
OP
I noticed on the Hexus review for the MSI Gaming X Trio (the card I'm in the queue for) that during overclocking tests they got it stable at 1865MHz, but 10MHz more was enough to crash it. And that's on the OC variant which you'd expect to be better binned and able to reach higher speeds. So certainly sounds ambitious to try and get the Ventus above 2GHz. :)

Yeah the more and more I read it does seem like it's boosting way higher than it can handle. Which gives me some solace thinking it can be fixed with updates and hopefully no need to RMA

Back
Top Bottom