• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

Oh right, that sounds cool. So could i undervolt and still achieve my core clock? Would it drop my temps a bit?

Damn straight it would. Put the memory back to stock, stick the core to 1077 or use my preferred clock of 1094 (70 pixel rate and 175 texture rate) and try setting core voltage at -0.025mv. If thats stable then go lower. If you get screen flickering at desktop with the browser open then you know you need a bit more voltage so add some back on. Trial and error. Avoid using apply overclock at startup.

Ok nice one, gonna give this a try. Why avoid apply overclock at startup mate?

Because if its unstable then you don't want the overclock applied at startup. Just remember not to set voltage too low. Do not go any lower than 0.050mv and don't go any higher than 1100 on the core. The voltage settings will be remembered when you restart your pc so don't go to extremes.

Sometimes my GPU will remain at 1077mhz when exiting a game. This happened about 20 minutes ago after playing Planetside 2 so I selected close MSI afterburner and I got a blue screen :/

how do you make it so it doesn't stay at 1077mhz when exiting a game? the only way many of us can get 1077mhz is the unofficial overclocking mode, so you have to hit reset in AB to lower back to normal clocks. Have you found a way for it to auto lower the clocks when finished gaming?

Basically, the UEFI BIOS works very much like your MOBO BIOS (as I understand it). As UEFI is much quicker than Legacy, if you have a compatible motherboard, it will load windows quicker than the normal Legacy BIOS, however, it seems that a lot of the problems people are having is black screens and the majority are on UEFI BIOS, so maybe that needs a fix or it is just coincidence, so switching to Legacy 'could' help but that is pure guesswork.

dont know if this was missed earlier but i wondered peoples thoughts

Would you sell a vtx3d 290 unlocked to 290x and buy a custom cooled msi gaming edition 290 even though its not the (X) version.
so go from a reference 290x (unlocked 290), to a msi gaming edition 290 (non X) with better cooling ?

dont know if this was missed earlier but i wondered peoples thoughts

Would you sell a vtx3d 290 unlocked to 290x and buy a custom cooled msi gaming edition 290 even though its not the (X) version.
so go from a reference 290x (unlocked 290), to a msi gaming edition 290 (non X) with better cooling ?

Is it getting a bit too hot or noisy for you? If not, I wouldn't personally.

its the noise to keep it cooler thats my issue, that screen shot is running with no game and so the fan speed increases more than that to keep it cooler to stop it from throttling.

74c without it running a game? That seems far too hot to me and something wrong there. I can understand why you wouldn't want the noise element but that is crazy hot for idle.

Good call but you need to know if the card does have both BIOS's, as I understand it, some just have the UEFI BIOS on both and no idea without researching how you would know.

I think the main thing we need for this card is a decent site to do a proper stripdown and review! Is the PCB an aftermarket military grade MSI special as advertised with decent mosfets hi-cap etc, or just an MSI cooler on reference? does the bios switch do anything? Do all 290's throttle due to powertune and need the afterburner 1077mhz force on trick?
etc :D

see above mate, starting to wonder if this has gone wrong you know as i just restarted my system so made sure nothing is running that would cause gpu usage and temps are as follows -

this is with afterburner not running

EDIT:

ok found some of the issue, while on desktop it seems afterburner is my problem again.

In the following one of the two settings circled is causing the issue as now on desktop using auto fan profile im getting a temp of 71 at present

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom