MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Have you tested performance as you go or are you just chasing numbers?

During our testing we found that gaming performance actually dropped when the memory was pushed north of 3600MHz. AMD later admitted that above 3600Mhz-3733Mhz (depending on CPU quality) a divider is enabled on the infinity fabric and this can negatively affect performance for most applications. The reason for this divider is to enable the CPU to cope with REALLY high memory clock speeds for application specific solutions (i.e. professional systems). You'd have to push memory speeds to about around 4600MHz to get back to the same level of gaming performance.

Generally, the best performance results are gained from 3600MHz with really low latency settings.

If you are building a gaming PC I'd definitely suggest that you go back to 3600MHz and run some benchmarks each time you adjust a setting.

I'm testing as I go. FCLK at 1900, MEMCLK and UCLK at 3800 right now. When you guys were testing, did you try 3600 MEMCLK with higher FCLK speeds?

Soldato
My board arrived today! Thanks OCUK! Can't wait to get home and start my new build:

Corsair 680X case
Ryzen 3900x
Corsair 32GB Pro RGB vengeance 3600hz
MSI X570 tomahawk board
GTX 2080ti MSI Gaming X Trio

:D

Soldato
My board arrived today! Thanks OCUK! Can't wait to get home and start my new build:

Corsair 680X case
Ryzen 3900x
Corsair 32GB Pro RGB vengeance 3600hz
MSI X570 tomahawk board
GTX 2080ti MSI Gaming X Trio

:D

Please keep us updated with how it runs, pics would be a bonus too.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I'm testing as I go. FCLK at 1900, MEMCLK and UCLK at 3800 right now. When you guys were testing, did you try 3600 MEMCLK with higher FCLK speeds?
I was checking performance and temperatures at different CPU/RAM speeds. I do this when we first receive samples so that I have a basic understanding of what cases & coolers I can use when start to set up the systems.

I was using a 3600 sample and 8Pack 4200MHz RAM. I'd found that the CPU maxed out at 4.1Ghz so moved over to slowly increasing the memory clock.

There was a clear drop in performance when I moved from 3600 to 4000, at which point I handed the investigation over to 8Pack, who discovered the reason.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Okay. So far, it seems like I'm getting best overall performance with RAM @ 3800, UCLK set at 1:1, FCLK 1900, DRAM Calc Fast timings. Only real strangeness is that my RAM Command Rate is at 2T even when set to 1T in the BIOS/UEFI, so I'm going back through to find out if I missed a setting somewhere. Then I'll try out tighter timings at 3600/1:1/1800.

***edit***

Okay, got 1T Command Rate to stick. Combination of settings in the OC section and also under AMD Overclocking from Settings -> Advanced.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine's now on order as of today! :) Is the estimation of 1-2 weeks for stock about right?

Also, I noticed the additional 4-pin CPU power socket on the board - is this required? Do I need to dig out my second 2x4 split 8-pin cable and plug in just one half (doesn't seem safe for a power cable)? Cheers!

Soldato
Mine's now on order as of today! :) Is the estimation of 1-2 weeks for stock about right?

Also, I noticed the additional 4-pin CPU power socket on the board - is this required? Do I need to dig out my second 2x4 split 8-pin cable and plug in just one half (doesn't seem safe for a power cable)? Cheers!
Not unless your planning on LN2 overclocking.

Associate
Starting to put together a system for my first build, and looking to build something that will last me a few years..... (Bear in mind that my current desktop is a Dell Dimension 8300 from back when Pontius was still a Pilate). Don't need something amazingly fast, but I do want something with longevity and quality components; so was looking at the MSI MEG X570 Unify until I stumbled across the X570 Tomahawk during research..... and it is relevant to here because one of the first posters was asking the same question! (at least I don't have to wait long!!!)

So far I have pieced together:
Case: Fractal Meshify S2
PSU: EVGA 850-P2 (second hand used for a couple of trade displays, and like new)
Graphics: MSI Radeon RX580 Gaming X (8GB) (again, second hand used for a few trade displays, and like new)
SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 500GB (heard good things about these as a boot drive and I also need to process a few videos for work, so fast is good)

I have a 1TB hard drive in the Dell which I can move across for spare storage.

What I need:
Motherboard, RAM, CPU.

Was thinking about the B550 Unify which I saw on a list that was published, but MSI didn't mention it in their B550 Insider video so I am guessing it is either still in development or they decided it clashes with the B550 Tomahawk.
Tomahawk X570 Wireless looks like a great board at a very good price mark
Unify X570 is more expensive, but is there really an advantage to the extra £50 odd notes? Is the power management the same?
CPU wise the Ryzen 5 3600 is probably plenty
RAM I don't want to consider until I've decided on the motherboard since what works best seems to vary with the RAM management of individual BIOS (UEFI these days!)

Any ideas or comments appreciated.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Any ideas or comments appreciated.

The X570 Unify is an excellent motherboard that is definitely overkill for a 3600. The X570 Tomahawk teeters on the edge of being overkill as well, but you say you're looking for something that will last a few years and this board will do that. If it's in budget without compromising something else then I'd say you wouldn't be disappointed.

Soldato
Finding the on board wifi dreadful, poor signal and keeps dropping out when under any strain. Can't see an option to disable it in the bios and windows keeps reinstalling the driver. Any ideas? Can only see a disable lan option in bios!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Finding the on board wifi dreadful, poor signal and keeps dropping out when under any strain. Can't see an option to disable it in the bios and windows keeps reinstalling the driver. Any ideas? Can only see a disable lan option in bios!

I haven't seen an option in the BIOS to disable either. Which driver version does Windows keep putting back on?

Back
Top Bottom