MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
I still have an nForce 2 board.

What chip do you have I had an athlon xp 2600+ then 3200+ I think it was called and 768MB DDR, its duel channel isn't it? It brings back so many memories, played a lot of half life and 2 with that lol. My gpu was probably a geforce 230 or something like the ati furry haha.

Funny enough I went on YT and watched a video from only 2 years ago and someone was benchmarking it in old games was epic lol

Associate
I'm very sure it'll sell, I think when I sold mine (after I had set my toma up) was a good time to sell as there wasn't many b450 boards new let alone very good condition like mine, mine wasn't 6 months old, I only got the x570 as I knew it'll last for a couple year at least was because of zen3 and now I'm thinking of not even bothering upgradeing come end of year, same with big navi. My decision is mainly due to the 3600 not even being utilised in what I use it for (gaming)

On this board I've managed to OC the IF, CPU and MEM, voltage for that is 1.5v daily, probably the best board I owned and I had an nforce 2 which I thought was the dogs swallocks back 18 or so years ago lol.

(edit the nforce 2 came out 2002,when I had left school lol!)

im waiting for £1 fees on ebay an will probably pop it on there ha

Associate
You make it sound like Hardware Unboxed has said negative things about Gamers Nexus... I saw only supportive comments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE&t=2s

Listen bub, and listen well. I was referring to the comments from STEVE, and not the HU guys.

I was expecting Steve to say something along the lines that off the back off HU putting their heads above the parapit and raising the issue, we’re adding in our experiences, but you know, credit to them for getting the issue out in the open.

I don’t know the relationship GN and HU have as competitor outfits, so don’t read anything in my comment that isn’t there, so knock it off.

Soldato
Are high spec boards generally more or less reliable?

How do OEM boards in Dell, HP or Lenovo boxes compare to 'consumer' boards from Gigabyte, MSI and Asus etc? In terms of performance, reliability an features?

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Are high spec boards generally more or less reliable?

How do OEM boards in Dell, HP or Lenovo boxes compare to 'consumer' boards from Gigabyte, MSI and Asus etc? In terms of performance, reliability an features?

It's generally not about overall reliability, but the customer who is most likely to buy the product. A high end board is built with better quality components but the customers who buy them also tend to push them harder and spot minor issues that a less experienced, plug & play type customer won't. There's also more to go wrong with a feature packed board, so overall the reported fault rate is quite similar.

In my experience OEM boards are generally at the lower end of the scale...absolutely no frills because saving 50p per board when ordering thousands is a big consideration. So features are trimmed, heatsinks are smaller or even non-existent and aesthetics are absolutely unimportant. Generally these boards are spec'd for each OEM's individual requirements and have a minimum order quantity of about 5000 units.

Any change u can advise on the turnaround on the other 5 faulty boards? see some stories for GPUs about MSI not being overly fast :(
Sorry, not a clue, it's not my department and my system doesn't tell me that. I'm not even sure that our returns software tracks that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Associate
It's generally not about overall reliability, but the customer who is most likely to buy the product. A high end board is built with better quality components but the customers who buy them also tend to push them harder and spot minor issues that a less experienced, plug & play type customer won't. So overall the reported fault rate is quite similar.

In my experience OEM boards are generally at the lower end of the scale...absolutely no frills because saving 50p per board when ordering thousands is a big consideration. So features are trimmed, heatsinks are smaller or even non-existent and aesthetics are absolutely unimportant. Generally these boards are spec'd for each OEM's individual requirements and have a minimum order quantity of about 5000 units.

Sorry, not a clue, it's not my department and my system doesn't tell me that. I'm not even sure that our returns software tracks that sort of thing.

For years I always used Asus ROG board and was lucky enough to never have an issue, with an aprox 1.5% failure rate indeed I was just unlucky. I remember at one point had an advanced RMA agreed with Asus, to avoid the lengthy delays in sending back to manufactures. Is this something that's still done with certain brands? Would be nice to see it expand across the manufactures as im sure it would also save OCUK money in returns etc.

With the buying power of OCUK/Caseking in Europe i'm sure it would be a welcomed addition (even if it was sold as an additional premium product for like and additional 5-10% of the product value to cover ttesting costs )

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Returns policies vary from brand to brand and special terms such as those from Asus are pretty expensive for them to offer. One of the reasons why you end up paying more for the Asus equivalent products. MSI's boards are generally priced very aggressively in contrast.

We can't really offer blanket advanced RMA terms without the vendors' support.

Associate
I had a faulty board (MSI X570 Unify) and to OCUK's credit they were extremely quick. I called them on a Monday to let them know, I also put in an order for the same board and asked for full refund on the RMA'd one. On Tuesday DPD was at my door delivering the new board and taking away the faulty one. On Wednesday I got an email saying OCUK had received my board, and Thursday another email saying I will be getting my money back. The money was back in my credit card on the same day (although must've cleared 1-2 days after), so I was without my money for about 5 days.

Associate
Well credit where credit is due. I reached out to @MSIUK Support chancing my arm asking if can pull any strings to speed up my RMA.

The expected answer was the one I got, he cannot get involved in any way. However, being a true legend (replying while on annual leave after 9pm) he has contacted the office and got them to post me an x370 board as a temporary until the rma on the x570 is completed. His only request was to cover return postage.

He's also taken time to reply on other thread about cooler compatibility while on leave. So whilst some articles have shed some bad light on so parts/persons within the company it, its not reflective of the whole brand :)

Soldato
I guess hard to know, but is the X570 Tomahawk a good (future proof) board to buy now for a 3600 with the expectation of swapping out for something like a 12 core 4900X in ~2 years time?

Associate
Yes, it has very good VRMs so should suit high core CPUs pretty well. Was going for the same board, for the same future proofing (3600 now, 4XXX in a couple years). I only went for the Unify as I had the Tomahawk on pre-order for nearly a month, and was itching to build a PC.

Caporegime
I guess hard to know, but is the X570 Tomahawk a good (future proof) board to buy now for a 3600 with the expectation of swapping out for something like a 12 core 4900X in ~2 years time?
Well if the X570 supports Zen3, and the 4900x is a Zen3, then obviously it will do that... right?

Soldato
I'm terms of being able to drop a 4900X in then even my B450 tomahawk max will be able to do that and run it perfectly fine. The future proofing would come from whether you need or will likely need in the future the extra I/O or plan to run multiple gen 4 nvme SSD.

Back
Top Bottom