MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
what is the optimal setting for the chipset fan-- silence, balance or boost?...at what temps do the fans start up in the various modes?

Last edited:
Soldato
what is the optimal setting for the chipset fan-- silence, balance or boost?...at what temps do the fans start up in the various modes?
I think I just left mine off the default setting, which may be balanced... If you look at the fan curves you can see it doesn't come on until the chipset gets to a certain temperature (can't remember what it was, 60 let's say), then ramps up very rapidly to max speed only about 10 or so degrees hotter than that. You can customise the chipset fan curves manually if you like.

The vast majority of the time I don't think it runs at all for me.

I'd leave it like that unless it starts to cause problems personally. Don't get any noise or fan wear and tear from it running all the time, but it keeps temperatures in check comfortably if necessary.

Soldato
Mine's on default and I have never seen it ramp up during use. It does spin for the boot up sequence but that's normal, after a couple of seconds it stops.

I have heard it's only if you fill the second m.2 slot which is chipset controlled and do a lot of file transfers, that's when it starts spinning.

Soldato
Mine's on default and I have never seen it ramp up during use. It does spin for the boot up sequence but that's normal, after a couple of seconds it stops.

I have heard it's only if you fill the second m.2 slot which is chipset controlled and do a lot of file transfers, that's when it starts spinning.

Mine is same. Briefly spins up at start and then I don't see it kick into action. I've got two gen4 m.2 drives installed also but its not every often I transfer large files between the two.

Associate
what's the difference between Core Performance Boost vs Precision Boost Overdrive?...PBO seems like the auto-overclocking setting but then what does Core Performance Boost do?...should I have it enabled?

Soldato
what's the difference between Core Performance Boost vs Precision Boost Overdrive?...PBO seems like the auto-overclocking setting but then what does Core Performance Boost do?...should I have it enabled?
Core performance boost should be on by default and just makes the CPU boost above base clocks, if you had a 5800X for example and turn off core performance boost the CPU would sit a 3.8ghz and not boost any higher.

Associate
Core performance boost should be on by default and just makes the CPU boost above base clocks, if you had a 5800X for example and turn off core performance boost the CPU would sit a 3.8ghz and not boost any higher.

in the BIOS 'Core Performance Boost' is set to Auto...the only other option is 'Disabled'...so I'm assuming Auto= Enabled?

Associate
Auto is indeed enabled as it's the stock setting for the CPUs and is basically the setting for boost clocks.

in the BIOS 'Precision Boost Overdrive' is also set to 'Auto' but I hear that in this case Auto= Disabled and I would need to change the setting to Enabled...do you know if this is true?...thanks for your help

Soldato
Huh, I didn't even realise you could control/curve the chipset fan? Is that a recent bios update thing? I'm sure I read recently that the latest/current iteration this board doesn't have the fan anymore?

Associate
I'm new to NVMe drives so forgive the newbie question...after an NVMe drive is installed is there any way for me to disable it without physically removing the drive?...I want the ability to boot into another SATA SSD drive independently...meaning I want to install another copy of Windows 10 onto the SATA drive and use that...is there a setting in the BIOS that disables the NVMe slot?...can I then re-enable it and get back the drive with everything installed on it intact?...I have an MSI X570 Tomahawk motherboard

with SATA SSD's (and older mechanical hard drives) it was easy to just unplug the SATA cable and plug it into a new drive

Soldato
Question guys; I fiddled about a bit, following guides etc., to get my rig ready for 11 and now I've had the notification, I haven't even bothered to upgrade yet - it was mainly around enabling the Secure Boot stuff.

Anyway, I've just read an interesting article about moving away from CSM, which my board was still set to, a "Above 4G memory/ Crypto Currency mining" option and a "BAR" setting? I've enabled them both and apart from the MSI graphic looking a lot sharper on boot, I've not noticed any issues?

Soldato
I'm new to NVMe drives so forgive the newbie question...after an NVMe drive is installed is there any way for me to disable it without physically removing the drive?...I want the ability to boot into another SATA SSD drive independently...meaning I want to install another copy of Windows 10 onto the SATA drive and use that...is there a setting in the BIOS that disables the NVMe slot?...can I then re-enable it and get back the drive with everything installed on it intact?...I have an MSI X570 Tomahawk motherboard

with SATA SSD's (and older mechanical hard drives) it was easy to just unplug the SATA cable and plug it into a new drive
I *think* you might be able to disable the m2 slot/s in the bios, but I'm not 100%... if not, could you not just manually change your boot preferences each time you need to change OS?

Associate
I *think* you might be able to disable the m2 slot/s in the bios, but I'm not 100%... if not, could you not just manually change your boot preferences each time you need to change OS?

I don't see an option to disable it in the BIOS...when changing the boot order yes it loads off the SATA but the NVMe is still showing and the SATA just acts as a secondary drive

Back
Top Bottom