Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

@pazza! Getting on well with modding the Phantom but have no idea how to power the thing up. It powers up by just 'shoving' the cables into a battery's connectors, but how do you split that connection between the gimbal and the actual Phantom?! Argh!

Presumably you just need to make your own power adaptor. What connectors have you got on the gimbal? If it is the same as the Phantom is powered by you'll just need to make your own parallel cable I think, the battery will then give the full power to both the gimbal and quad.

Just went and flew my quad around outside in the dark with lights on. Was really soothing doing so with very little light just doing some smooth banked turns. Only needed to drain the battery to ~11.5v before going on holiday for a week but ended up nearly flattening it and having to recharge it for storage :D

Simples? You're talking to someone who doesn't own a soldering iron... yet :P

The gimbal has just two red/grey (vcc/gnd) cables stripped a bit at the ends. Read one YouTube who just soldered them to the Phantom's power cable connectors on the mainboard. Best idea?

Edit: Also can't seem to set the initial tilt angle. I'm selecting the right mode, all connected correctly, pressing enter etc, tried writing to flash and rebooting the gimbal but nothing. Google isn't helping so at a bit of a loss and we don't really want it looking straight forward when it's 30m up!

Last edited:
Right, went to bed at 2 and up at 7, all good fun! Sorted the initial tilt angle (was plugged into the wrong port on the gimbal - tiredness!) and soldered the power cables onto the mainboard this morning. Thank god for Toolstation! Put it all back together and spins up so happy, at the moment!

I need a longer cable to connect the gimbal to the NAZA box to control tilt from the remote. Where would I get this from? Was thinking Maplin but can't search because I don't know what the cable's called (3 pin to 3 pin).

@pazza! Getting on well with modding the Phantom but have no idea how to power the thing up. It powers up by just 'shoving' the cables into a battery's connectors, but how do you split that connection between the gimbal and the actual Phantom?! Argh!

I used a jst connector and soldered it to the power board,very easy to do.

Using some spare parts from a talon frame and some plywood im building a H-Quad

Hcopter1.png

Hcopter2.png

Started a build thread here if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041566

Yeah quite pleased considering the relatively rushed job. The entire thing (Phantom and gimbal) has already paid for itself too!

Thanks for the recommendation of the T-2D pazza. One question, don't know if you know the answer, but when we were out and about the powering up of the gimbal was a bit touch and go. Sometimes it would go amber, flash green and then nothing and we kept having to power it off and on until it went blue/actually powered up. Seemed completely random so no idea what caused it but it wasted quite a lot of time so we need to sort it really.

Christ, I just spent a lot of money......

Incoming this week:
DJI S800 EVO
DJI 1552 upgrade props
DJI A2 flight controller
DJI iOSD Mk2
DJI ground station downlink
DJI 5GHz 500mW video transmitter
4 x 6000mAh 6S Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPos
Sony 700TV FPV camera
FrSky X8R rx
FrSky Variometer
FrSky FAS100 current sensor
FrSky Sensor hub
Foxtech X140-BS 2-axis gimbal
CamRemote servo controlled remote camera controller
7" FPV screen with 5.8GHz rx built in
Sony NEX-5T

I was going to buy the DJI Zenmuse Z15-N gimbal but I decided that I don't need the 3rd axis for stills and so it wasn't worth the £2k investment. I'll maybe get it later if I decide I need it.

Christ, I just spent a lot of money......

Incoming this week:
DJI S800 EVO
DJI 1552 upgrade props
DJI A2 flight controller
DJI iOSD Mk2
DJI ground station downlink
DJI 5GHz 500mW video transmitter
4 x 6000mAh 6S Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPos
Sony 700TV FPV camera
FrSky X8R rx
FrSky Variometer
FrSky FAS100 current sensor
FrSky Sensor hub
Foxtech X140-BS 2-axis gimbal
CamRemote servo controlled remote camera controller
7" FPV screen with 5.8GHz rx built in
Sony NEX-5T

I was going to buy the DJI Zenmuse Z15-N gimbal but I decided that I don't need the 3rd axis for stills and so it wasn't worth the £2k investment. I'll maybe get it later if I decide I need it.

Nice setup,i dread to think how much that cost.

Back
Top Bottom