Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
I assume beyond no fly zones etc you also need the landowners permission?

You wouldn't want an irate farmer shooting it out the sky.

E: Hmm, there doesn't seem to be any rule against flying over private land without permission which I find surprising. However where you fly from could be tricky as you're not meant to linger on public rights of way.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=4e058785-cea8-4db4-9f0d-5b37f9d12581

Last edited:
Associate
So whats the deal with this new law I just read on the news? Do we all gotta go to training courses or something now? Does the weight limit include the battery weight included or without the battery.

Soldato
Seems bizarre you cant fly off a public footpath where are you suppose to fly a drone public field are not everywhere? I have a park across the road from my house but im worried that privacy issues and someone complaigning

The UK government has announced plans to introduce drone registration and safety awareness courses for owners of the small unmanned aircraft.

It will affect anyone who owns a drone which weighs more than 250 grams (8oz).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40684581

Edit: I dont escape with the Spark being 300g wonder how it going to be implemented the course better not be stupid expensive

Caporegime
Meh, I fly racers and are usually under 250g so ;)

It's just pathetic, another thing to get in the way of if people who just want to fly and enjoy themselves, the people actually breaking the rules and flying too high or over people's houses or into people are still going to do it and simply not register lol.....

Not to mention diy drones don't have GPS on them (unless you put it on there) so any GPS restrictions in terms of no fly areas is just daft.

And the arguments of nearly hitting aircrafts or being used for prison drug drops??? Hilarious, if you have a photography drone, dji limits the places you can physically take off from now so flying in airspace areas isn't possible, they also limit the height you can fly at. And the prison thing? Yeah because Bob whose doing the supply drops is going to register his quad because of this new bill? :rolleyes:

Arrgh, just annoys me.

Don
Hopefully the course will be an online test about the rules and regulations. I can't see them implementing a flight exam like the PfCO/PfAW because there simply isn't enough testing companies. They already can't cope with the demand.

The main problem at the moment is ignorance of the law. People think they can buy a drone and fly it wherever they like. They cannot and it gives those of us who fly within the regs a bad name.

Soldato
Just saw the interview with a balpa rep on bbc news. Talking about registration and mandatory testing, (no doubt at a cost to to user and payable to balpa). Also talking about hopefully the public with report any drones flying in a way they shouldnt. I can see the police being called at every sight of a drone regardless of how it is being flown.

Soldato
Hilarious, if you have a photography drone, dji limits the places you can physically take off from now so flying in airspace areas isn't possible, they also limit the height you can fly at.
Arrgh, just annoys me.

Unless you hack the firmware. I didn't know that was a thing until last week.
The whole thing is laughable. If you are intent on breaking the law, you won't register your drone. Simple as that.

Associate
I was going to buy my spark yesterday but held off as I left the CC at Home. Seems to be a blessing as it might end up being more hassle then it worth. :(

Caporegime
With the battery? 5 inch?

Nah wouldn't be able to get a 5inch under that I don't think, or at least not easily.

Friend of mine had a 5inch down to 270g I think or there abouts. Frames are getting lighter, it's just the batteries now, particularly if you use 5s ones.

Mind you, if it gets ridiculous I'll just fly smaller quads.

Unless you hack the firmware. I didn't know that was a thing until last week.
The whole thing is laughable. If you are intent on breaking the law, you won't register your drone. Simple as that.

Well yes, but you can use that analogy for things to do on your car to for instance.

Caporegime
Why dont they just say drones should be fitted with a beacon device and registered so they can be picked up by ATC is this actually possible I have no idea?

GPS device yes, guess they could get really ridiculous and implement something like ANPR type stuff but with smaller stamps like QR codes or something. But how that would even remotely work with custom builds I don't know....I guess you'd need to go down the route of how you would on a custom car with insurance.

All gets a bit ridiculous. I'll end up just buying a plot of private land and using that if it gets mental.

Soldato
GPS device yes, guess they could get really ridiculous and implement something like ANPR type stuff but with smaller stamps like QR codes or something. But how that would even remotely work with custom builds I don't know....I guess you'd need to go down the route of how you would on a custom car with insurance.

All gets a bit ridiculous. I'll end up just buying a plot of private land and using that if it gets mental.

Well if they are fitted with gps device which can be picked up by aircraft / ATC then it will reduce risk for everyone I would be happy to have one fitted as long as it dont cost ££££

What annoys me the most is your told you cant fly it here there and everywhere which is fine airspace I understand but how about giving us / telling us where we can fly it where we live?

Be nice if there was an online map showing you where you can fly your drone in your area something like actual drone zones

Caporegime
Well if they are fitted with gps device which can be picked up by aircraft / ATC then it will reduce risk for everyone I would be happy to have one fitted as long as it dont cost ££££

What annoys me the most is your told you cant fly it here there and everywhere which is fine airspace I understand but how about giving us / telling us where we can fly it where we live?

Be nice if there was an online map showing you where you can fly your drone in your area something like actual drone zones

Really?

http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/

The GPS thing is fine, but for racers it's not a viable solution as weight is paramount to the performance, I guess for the pros in leagues etc it won't be needed as it's a controlled enviroment, but for your average joe it's going to be a pain in the arse.

Soldato
The more professional systems such as the uAvionix ping1090 ADS-B transceiver are the way forward in that regard but they are still prohibitively expensive - the basic non GPS enabled one costs $1200!

That enables commercial airliners etc to see you so that they can know your movements and if needed avoid you! Full in and out systems are a lot more obviously but to then be able to see other aircraft using an ECD (Electronic Conspicuity Device) in your area enables you to also not fly in their airspace.

Back
Top Bottom