Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Took the Mavic on our European bike trip - this is why I originally bought it. Only ended up having 5 or 6 flights, as even with it's portability and ease of use it was still a hassle to get it out of the bike luggage, especially wearing all the bike gear in really hot weather.

Great to fly it somewhere else though, especially with scenery like that.

Soldato
'Go to the family in the countryside' I thought. 'Fly the drone around a bit' I thought....maybe not.

I know that area - well the bit just north east of Newport very well! I've flown my own F550 around that estate (Owned by relations!) and am hoping to fly my work P4 around the mere soon for habitat survey purposes :) Thankfully around there it's clear of the main restrictions you've got although I have seen a chopper flying low over the mere once before so still not entirely safe!

Soldato
A panorama i did yesterday from the Wasdale valley, 15 images stitched together from my mavic.

36159721941_9f4646333d_o.jpg

Don
Marvellous. Latest update for the Inspire 1 has killed my X5 camera. X3 and the craft itself are fine but the X5 is dead.
Contacted DJI support and they say I have to pay for a repair or replacement as it was user error! I've updated the X5 and Inspire tons of times and never had an issue before apart from the stupid process being annoying.
Probably not going to bother as I'm betting the X5 repair or replacement cost will be close to the price of a new X5 at £1200.

Soldato
Wez I've just looked at that picture again on my 34" ultrawidescreen and all I can say is wow, if it wasn't for your watermark that would be my wallpaper :)

Thanks, it was only a quick edit!

@Rilot
How can you updating your inspire causing the camera to break be user error? Surely once you choose to accept the update that DJI prompt you to do, it's out of your hands, and in the hands of how the update progresses until complete, unless of course, you run out of battery mid update or something? If that never happened, i'd be fighting my case if it happened to me!

Don
Believe me, I will be fighting it. I've updated my Inspire loads of times before and besides the process being very clunky I've never had an issue.
I'm going to send it in and see what they say. If they charge me then I'm going to kick up one hell of a fuss on social media etc.

Associate
What goggles have you gone for?
I've got a bit hooked on the DRL program on Sky and as I already fly 450 size helicopters and have a little toy drone, I quite fancy giving it a go.
The DRL guys all have expensive looking fatshark goggles on but I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of cash on it straight off.
However the big boxy single screen viewers look awful.

Simon

Associate
'Go to the family in the countryside' I thought. 'Fly the drone around a bit' I thought.

18O6r6hh.png.jpg

...maybe not.

Out of interest where are you looking at that?

I had a bit of a realisation yesterday that this hobby might not be for me - not flown my quad for a while and am definitely overdue digging out all the kit and having another go (had a bit of a flyaway scare last time so put me off) and as I was thinking I should really have another go the Red Arrows flew over my house and the field I normally fly in, they were very low and 100% within the height I usually fly at.

Don't like to think about it but wtf would have happened if I'd been flying my quad at the time (in what I think is unrestricted space) and caused an accident/had a collision with one of their jets. I imagine I'd be up a creek without a paddle but without a clear way it could have been avoided. The latter bit is what has really put the wind up me. I get that the odds of the Red Arrows flying over at the exact time I'm flying are very long but as I realised yesterday it's entirely possible

Edit: found it at noflydrone.co.uk and where I fly is completely clear of markers, edge of the closest is ~5 miles away

Edit2: for context I have a 215mm Quad which I've not long been flying in FPV having gotten used to it in LOS and I've also got a Phantom2 which I've not used much, intent is to use it on roadtrips but have been practicing controlling it at home

Last edited:
Soldato
That the problem I have there are helicopter pads around in the area but nothing saying on the drone assist that I cant fly yet I have seen Cessna type plane come low at same height as I would fly the drone.

Back
Top Bottom