Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Hi All, one for the Mavic owners. If you use a tablet rather than phone, what do you use. I am looking to get a tablet for it and my preference would be for Android based. What are you all using ?

Thanks

Soldato
What goggles have you gone for?
I've got a bit hooked on the DRL program on Sky and as I already fly 450 size helicopters and have a little toy drone, I quite fancy giving it a go.
The DRL guys all have expensive looking fatshark goggles on but I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of cash on it straight off.
However the big boxy single screen viewers look awful.

Simon

I've gone for Eachine VR D2 Pro goggles, after reading reviews and videos on UTube they seem to be one of the best for the price. FatShark seem to be a bit expensive to me and their cheaper offerings are aren't up to scratch compared to others.

Caporegime
I've gone for Eachine VR D2 Pro goggles, after reading reviews and videos on UTube they seem to be one of the best for the price. FatShark seem to be a bit expensive to me and their cheaper offerings are aren't up to scratch compared to others.

Aye I have the non pro version, they work, granted some fatsharks may be better but tbh I'm not sure I'd get on with the small screens anyway

Associate
Surely no plain is coming over below 120m? Surely that would be shattering glass and such?

Military aircraft are allowed to fly down to 75 m and have a free reign over much of the British Isles (no clever app with overlayed 'no-fly-zones' is going to save you) to do so.

The chances of an incident though are infinitesimally small and frankly not worth worrying yourself over. You could always make a quick descent if you hear something approaching.

Soldato
Hi All, one for the Mavic owners. If you use a tablet rather than phone, what do you use. I am looking to get a tablet for it and my preference would be for Android based. What are you all using ?

Thanks
I have a ipad mini 4 and a NVidia shield tablet, not used the shield yet however, the ipad works perfectly, the only problem is I bought it when I got my phantom 4 so went with a white one :( looks naff in the mavic controller

Don
Agree, managed to get a good deal on an Ipad mini from local CEX.

For the Mavic it needs be an iPad Mini 4 or an Air 1 or better. DJI Go 4 doesn't work very well with the earlier iPad Minis any more. I'd avoid the Mini 2 and 3 for the Mavic as I don't think you can even use the hardware decode on them and the video stream lags.

Avoid Android entirely. Go has never worked as well on Android as it does on iPads. I've got a Shield which is still one of the most powerful Android tablets and Go lags pretty badly even compared to my aging iPad Mini 2 with the Inspire.

I still use a Mini 2 with the Inspire but we're on an earlier version of Go which is less demanding.

Soldato
For the Mavic it needs be an iPad Mini 4 or an Air 1 or better. DJI Go 4 doesn't work very well with the earlier iPad Minis any more. I'd avoid the Mini 2 and 3 for the Mavic as I don't think you can even use the hardware decode on them and the video stream lags.

Avoid Android entirely. Go has never worked as well on Android as it does on iPads. I've got a Shield which is still one of the most powerful Android tablets and Go lags pretty badly even compared to my aging iPad Mini 2 with the Inspire.

I still use a Mini 2 with the Inspire but we're on an earlier version of Go which is less demanding.

Thanks Rilot

Associate

Aye I have the non pro version, they work, granted some fatsharks may be better but tbh I'm not sure I'd get on with the small screens anyway

Thanks. I guess I might have to see if I can get a go on someone's goggles to see if I can get on with the small screen ones or even the box type ones.

Don
First fine day yesterday in a long time so I stuck the Inspire up in the air to take a shot of my house. The X5 is on it's way to DJI so I was forced to use the X3. Pic is decent enough still though.
yO4HjaQ.jpg

Associate
Been itching to pull the trigger on a Mavic Pro the last few months. Still looking, wondering whether to pull the trigger now or wait another 6 months for possible next version. Primarily to be used for travel videography. Also interested in the DJI goggles, any thoughts?

In addition, any of you using GPS trackers in case of flyaway? Any recommendations here?

Thanks very much

Soldato
There's always going to be a next version though. why not just wait for the three instead? Or like the rest of us, just get the mavic pro now, then when the 2 comes out, if it's enough of an upgrade, then just upgrade. There's no sign of a replacement yet, and there won't be for a while, the Mavic is a very capable piece of kit, and you're missing out on flying time because you're waiting an uncertain amount of time for a product that may or may not be a big improvement on an already decent drone.

Back
Top Bottom