Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
I've had my Mavic for 8-9 months now. I'd definitely feel the upgrade twitch if they brought a new one out, soon or next year, but I'm pretty happy with it still. I do wonder what they can do to improve it, and while there are lots of ways in which it could be better, I'm not sure if any of them are likely to compel me to part with £1,200 less whatever I could sell the old one for.

The things I'd like to see on a Mavic 2 that would make me think about upgrading are:

- 360 degree visual anti collision
- a more robust gimbal
- improved sensor on the camera

Stuff I'd like to see, in addition to the above, that wouldn't really make me think about upgrading

- more / better flight modes - I don't really use them much
- increased flight time
- increased portability
- increased speed

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Finally had a chance to start assembling my quadcopter today

76mLfzjl.jpg

This was as far as I got as I didn't have the 3M double sided foam that I wanted for attaching the ESCs to the arms - and I didn't want to start cutting wires and soldering until I've got things in the places where I want them!

Don
I went to the field behind my house today and stuck some things up in the air. Many of them haven't flown in quite a while.

I flew:
122mm quad
180mm quad
250mm quad
330mm hex

Had a lot of fun and only broke 2 props (on the 122mm).

Caporegime
Finally had a chance to start assembling my quadcopter today

This was as far as I got as I didn't have the 3M double sided foam that I wanted for attaching the ESCs to the arms - and I didn't want to start cutting wires and soldering until I've got things in the places where I want them!

Weird, you're using sticky tape? Why not just shrink wrap?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I don't want to leave the ESC inside a plastic tube and then heatshrink it to the arm (I worry about heat), I can't have the ESC touching the arm as its carbon fibre and so would short it out. So foam tape to hold it in place / insulate the bottom of it and then heat shrink on the wires seemed best to me.

Caporegime
Yes I'm aware of the shorting issue :)

Upto I guess, my first build I just used electrical tape over the arms then taped the ESCs to the arms also. Latest build I just used heat shrnk over the ESCS.

Soldato
Finally managed to get the Spark up yesterday what with the bad weather lately and working I have had no chance.

I noticed with the Spark the battery considerably drain if you charge them but dont use them for a while is this normal

SKXa4Yb.jpg

3AKHn

Last edited:
Don
Yeah, Spark, P4, Inspire 1, Inspire 2, and Mavic all start draining their batteries to 50% after 10 days without use. This is a good thing (well, it is now they fixed it. With the early Inspire 1 FW they drained them to 0% and killed the cells) as leaving LiPos fully charged reduces their lifespan.

Associate
I don't want to leave the ESC inside a plastic tube and then heatshrink it to the arm (I worry about heat), I can't have the ESC touching the arm as its carbon fibre and so would short it out. So foam tape to hold it in place / insulate the bottom of it and then heat shrink on the wires seemed best to me.

I suggest putting a cut up piece of prop over the top of the esc to protect it from damage from the actual props in a crash

Soldato
I've setup my work P4 to drain the batteries automatically after much less than 10 days - you can edit it in the app although obviously you have to load up each battery and change it!

Was really interesting to wear a set of the DJI Goggles last week - the UAV Academy owner has a set for his Mavic - very cool and much want on my part, it would be great for showing others what you're filming / seeing just as an interactive element to any future work - I'll have to see if I can sell the idea to work ;)

Soldato
Giving serious thoughts on ordering a DJI Spark this week/next. Thinking it would be a fun gadget for grabbing some videos of the kids whilst on holiday later in the year in Mexico (beach etc), wouldn't be looking to send it up ridiculous heights or distances but rather make use of the follow modes.

So any reason why this would be a bad idea or should be considering something other than the Spark?

Back
Top Bottom