Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
So, basically you can't really fly it anywhere. Maybe in a park, if no one is around or an empty beach.

Look on that channel at the <250g drone videos. Basically you can fly <250g drones almost anywhere, as long as you're not looking through windows or flying in airports.

Soldato
Took our first hover test today, was a little trickier to get the binding done, it makes sense after you do it, but for the first go it is a bit confusing. Accidentally used the wrong receiver protocol at the beginning of flashing so did a lot of backwards and forwards testing. Confusing part was that it still bound, just wouldnt do anything.

Only one minor crash which damaged a propeller. Next bit is setting up the camera to work on the goggles then good to go.

Very satisfying though building from scratch.

Last edited:
Soldato
400 feet/120m is the limit for drones as aircraft should be above 500 feet/152m which generally gives a reasonable separation distance, but there are many reasons aircraft can be flying lower than 500 feet, I live in an area the military use for training and we very often have chinooks and other craft flying around at low level.

Sub 250g drones can be flown in lots of places so long as you are sensible about where you are taking off and landing from, anything heavier is far more restricted but that can also be somewhat alleviated by joining an organisation such as FPVUK which will get you Article 16 authorisation which will then allow you to legally fly in parks with a risk assessment proviso: https://fpvuk.org/membership-benefits/ they have a link to the handbook that gives a full breakdown here: https://fpvuk.org/caa-article-16-operational-authorisation-uas-7068/

If it's under 250g, you can fly it pretty much anywhere. Over that, there are more restrictions.

Look on that channel at the <250g drone videos. Basically you can fly <250g drones almost anywhere, as long as you're not looking through windows or flying in airports.

It’s the DJI Spark. So over 250g.

Soldato
Guys my nephews controller stopped working. I said I’d have a look and when I opened it up the problem was obviously, the negative wire from the batteries has come off but I can’t see where it needs to be soldered back on. Anyone point it out to me?

IMG-1976.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys my nephews controller stopped working. I said I’d have a look and when I opened it up the problem was obviously, the negative wire from the batteries has come off but I can’t see where it needs to be soldered back on. Anyone point it out to me?

IMG-1976.png

If you zoom in on the picture in my link, it looks like it goes on the very bottom centre pin. When you look at your picture, it does look as though something was soldered to that pin previously.

Soldato
Got the DJI goggles switched over to analogue, camera hooked up. If weather permits will have a longer fly today. Now I just need to learn how to fix it when it breaks ;)

How do you put pictures on here?

Soldato
Which EU states have others registered in for EASA Operator ID purposes?

I've got my flyer ID from Luxembourg and had registered to do the Op ID in Ireland but it looks like €38 for two years which isn't great ... Cyprus is apparently good (€15 for 3 years) but their site's down so that doesn't help!

Soldato
Got the DJI goggles switched over to analogue, camera hooked up. If weather permits will have a longer fly today. Now I just need to learn how to fix it when it breaks ;)

How do you put pictures on here?

Create an account at https://imgur.com/ upload, click on the uploaded image and select an option that suits you (PC Direct Link and use the image tag seen above - Mobile us BBcode and drop the link here) If pc then it is possible to click on the posted image and make it smaller by dragging in the corners.

Looking possible that DJI use could be banned in the States, which worries me that it could happen in the UK as well...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom