National insurance cut

Soldato
Opposite.
IHT should (in theory) bring some balance to people starting rich and never having to do anything vs others who work hard but didn't get that head start.

IHT should be more aggressive. It shouldn't be avoidable with trust funds etc.

Old money is a massive part of keeping rich rich and poor poor. And lack of wealth tax in our system just magnifies this.

IHT needs to stay. And it needs to be inescapable
But rich people don't pay it and since they make the rules, they will always leave a loop hole.

Last edited:
Associate
It amazes me that this country is in such a dreadful state and yet no one seems to know or care.

Once upon a time the Conservatives used to be the party that had good economic sense. No more. The country in a far worse state than it was in 13 years ago. I am sorry I ever voted for them.
The worrying thing is I don't see Labour making it any better when they get in.

We need a complete overhaul of politics, but it's never going to happen

Associate
The worrying thing is I don't see Labour making it any better when they get in.

We need a complete overhaul of politics, but it's never going to happen
I've always said that they are all as bad as each other but no-one will believe me.

Last edited:
Associate
They didn't see it coming, that is true - although I don't recall anyone else seeing it coming either - but they neither inherited a surplus nor ran big deficits. They were actually running lower deficits than was run throughout most of the previous Tory administration:

5260056945_dd16442ec1_c.jpg

(Also, note how hilariously wrong those forecasts were!)
It's literally there in black and white: They had a surplus in '97? :confused:

Soldato
This is quite interesting

Surprised to see Australia and NZ with no IHT.

That doesn't paint the full picture though... it states UK IHT is 40%, but unless the estate is worth over a million quid, it's essentially 0%

Last edited:
Caporegime
Problem is (controversial) there's nothing of worth in the UK anymore....
Historically sure but now, nothing but over priced real estate and an extremely apathetic future generation.
"Why bother fighting for your country" is the vibe given off. Why indeed when you can't realistically ever afford to take part in being part of the future?
Morale has probably never been lower?
Honestly the west needs a wake up, shake up moment. It's not just the UK every country is wrecking the future to pay now.
No country will pay their deficit it's not happening, we need a better way to think about it.
The great reset..... My god it's cringe but something has to happen. WW3 maybe? Worm god? Vulcan first contact ...I'm living for the now. I don't see much future in 50 years, even on the cusp of amazing technological breakthrough with power generation and AI, we'll **** it up somehow.

Vote lib dem.

Sweden is no better incase you think I'm being a traitorous c word :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It's literally there in black and white: They had a surplus in '97? :confused:
Would this help...
MAR_18_surplus_deficit_since_1920.png

(Source)
debt_as_a_proportion_of_the_economy.png

(Source)

Like it or not the myth that the Conservatives are good when it comes to public finances is exactly that, a myth. There's only been a single period that a Conservative government has had a surplus and that was a tiny one for a very short period of time.

Soldato
No country will pay their deficit it's not happening
You don’t “pay” a deficit.

Deficit = difference between income and expenditure in one year.
Debt = the accumulation of all of those deficits over time. UK current debt is £2.3 trillion (IIRC), which is just over 100% of GDP.

Last edited:
Associate
Problem is (controversial) there's nothing of worth in the UK anymore....
Historically sure but now, nothing but over priced real estate and an extremely apathetic future generation.
"Why bother fighting for your country" is the vibe given off. Why indeed when you can't realistically ever afford to take part in being part of the future?
Morale has probably never been lower?
Honestly the west needs a wake up, shake up moment. It's not just the UK every country is wrecking the future to pay now.
No country will pay their deficit it's not happening, we need a better way to think about it.
The great reset..... My god it's cringe but something has to happen. WW3 maybe? Worm god? Vulcan first contact ...I'm living for the now. I don't see much future in 50 years, even on the cusp of amazing technological breakthrough with power generation and AI, we'll **** it up somehow.

Vote lib dem.

Sweden is no better incase you think I'm being a traitorous c word :p
How do you think voting for them will improve any of the problems. They will be as bound by all the factors that would be faced by either the Tories ,Labour, Greens or the Monster Raving Loony party. Economic forces at home and abroad, the attitude to their policies from the voters, how and what changes they want to make, the list goes on. Yes in it's simplest form it's let's change government but as we all know it's more complex than that

Associate
Would this help...
MAR_18_surplus_deficit_since_1920.png

(Source)
debt_as_a_proportion_of_the_economy.png

(Source)

Like it or not the myth that the Conservatives are good when it comes to public finances is exactly that, a myth. There's only been a single period that a Conservative government has had a surplus and that was a tiny one for a very short period of time.
That isn't a full analysis as you would have to go back right to the start of the records to show a full and complete picture, that graph has been cherry picked to show what someone wants ie Labour good Tories bad.

If you had the same time period for both charts it would show the results much better in relation to each other

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom