NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Associate
snoxu said:
I just bought the Philips from another shop recently and I’m not too happy with it. It has black light bleed. Don’t like the contrast levels, and watching films on the Philips is not that great. I’m thinking of returning it so I can get a NEC. I’m wondering if it’s worth the all hassle though.

Any thoughts are welcomed because I’m seriously considering returning this monitor.
C´mon guys should I bother swapping the Phillips for the NEC? I really don’t like the contrast levels on the Philips and movieplayback ain’t that great.

Should I get the Nec or keep my Philips?

Associate
By the sounds of things, the NEC is the way to go.

By tomorrow, I should be able to post my own impressions to the NEC versus the Dell 2005FPW, if that will be any help. I can't say I've seen the Phillips in the flesh though, I'm afraid.

Associate
You don't seem to be happy with the Philips at all.

If it was me I would swap it whilst you still can, no fault in being stuck with a monitor you don't like.
Worse case scenario swap the philips for the the nec instead and if you don't like it return it but fingers crossed your really like it :)
If you can hold off till tomorrow though theres quite a few people including daddyorchips and I etc who will post our comments on it if that helps.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I’m not that happy with the Philips, for regular desktop use it’s a good enough monitor, but for movie playback it’s a bit awful, imo. Maybe my expectations are a bit high.

I’m thinking the NEC could be better for movie playback since it has a glossy screen, higher contrast levels, deeper blacks and that DVM feature. Well, it’s what I’m hoping for at least. It’s gonna be a drag but I’ve decided to return the Philips so I can get the NEC. Hoping the NEC doesn’t disappoint.

Last edited:
Associate
I ordered a Philips, but have yet to receive it due to a c**k up with the postage etc - anyway - got me thinking, for an extra 100ish £, is the NEC worth it? - as I don't plan to upgrade the monitor for a good 2 years +
thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been very close to ordering one of these but the "glossy coat" is concerning me. It won't be a problem at all when using at home, but I do go to Lans occasionally and being able to see my screen would be a bonus! Currently I'm using a Viewsonic VP201b (20" 1600x1200) but would like to dabble in widescreen gaming... hmmmm...

Any further feedback on the reflection qualities of the screen?

Caporegime
Rojin said:
I've been very close to ordering one of these but the "glossy coat" is concerning me. It won't be a problem at all when using at home, but I do go to Lans occasionally and being able to see my screen would be a bonus! Currently I'm using a Viewsonic VP201b (20" 1600x1200) but would like to dabble in widescreen gaming... hmmmm...

Any further feedback on the reflection qualities of the screen?

If you read the thread there's been several psots about the reflection of the glossy screen. It doesnt pose a problem for me, and im next to a window.

Soldato
I've followed the thread since the start. I don't have a problem at home, but at big places like Newbury racecourse for a lan I reckon it could be a nightmare. Hmmm, finger hovering over order button... ;)

Caporegime
Rojin said:
I've followed the thread since the start. I don't have a problem at home, but at big places like Newbury racecourse for a lan I reckon it could be a nightmare. Hmmm, finger hovering over order button... ;)

Do it man! :D

Associate
Yeah me, not sure if its just the 2 I have had but on everything using the VGA the picture is horrible, wavy lines everywhere, easy to notice when the picture is dark. Have tried 3 VGA cables and a 360 VGA cable, same on all of them on both monitors. The DVI on the other hand is perfect?

Associate
Noooo, ! just rang up ocuk, im not going to get the monitor till 2moro, but on a brighter note i did get refunded my shipping cost, ill not get to see this monitor now till friday.. so unfiar. has anyone got there's yet ?

Associate
:(
my delivery was delayed, yet they would not give me a refund on postage - probably cause I ordered the cheaper philips, so less profit? - not right :confused:
Rant over

Back
Top Bottom