NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Associate
got mine..

Initial Impressions:

1) Took it out of the box. The box does not have a handle. thats minus. my old Samsung did lol :rolleyes:

2) when i took the monitor out and took the protective thingie off i checked my receipt to make sure i didnt buy a mirror.... the screen is glossier than i ever expected.

3) Instuction good enough, OSD excellent!

4)Testing

a) didnt see any dead pixels so far. Thank god.
b) Backlight bleeds... notisably.. especially lower left corner :( :( :( :(

c) Advanced DV is on "on" when on "off" in the OSD.. WTF....?? screen goes darker instead of brighter when on "on".?? is that how its supposed to be?

d) Quake looks great on it...

e) I can see myself on the monitor..

OVERALL: Very impressed with build quality, excellent colour reproduction, no ghosting, glossy screen kinda problematic, back-damn-light bleeding..... oh well.. i will call NEC and see whats up

http://geocities.com/mhrp84/DSC00185err.jpg

for a pic of backlight bleeding

Should i wait and see if it gets fixed? or should i RMA? what do u think?

Caporegime
Z3R0-CooL said:
got mine..

Initial Impressions:

1) Took it out of the box. The box does not have a handle. thats minus. my old Samsung did lol :rolleyes:

2) when i took the monitor out and took the protective thingie off i checked my receipt to make sure i didnt buy a mirror.... the screen is glossier than i ever expected.

3) Instuction good enough, OSD excellent!

4)Testing

a) didnt see any dead pixels so far. Thank god.
b) Backlight bleeds... notisably.. especially lower left corner :( :( :( :(

c) Advanced DV is on "on" when on "off" in the OSD.. WTF....?? screen goes darker instead of brighter when on "on".?? is that how its supposed to be?

d) Quake looks great on it...

e) I can see myself on the monitor..

OVERALL: Very impressed with build quality, excellent colour reproduction, no ghosting, glossy screen kinda problematic, back-damn-light bleeding..... oh well.. i will call NEC and see whats up

http://geocities.com/mhrp84/DSC00185err.jpg

for a pic of backlight bleeding

Should i wait and see if it gets fixed? or should i RMA? what do u think?

That bleed is AWFUL! Phone NEC asap and tell them you want an RMA and that you want them to test the new screen for bleed before you have it sent out.

That's what I did and I received a perfect screen...

Associate
I'd be interested to know what the xbox360 is like through VGA with this monitor as I'm torn between it and the Dell 2405fpw. Been hearing some mixed reports regarding VGA and the 360 - some say its better than component some say worse. I'm only considering the 2405fpw for its component input.

Associate
called them..

initially told me to call OCUK and arrange RMA. OCUK told me it takes 7-10 days and i have to pay courriers......

called NEC back.. gave in my details for RMA (s/n etc).. they dont have any in stock.. told me that they will contact me within 2-3 days to explain the situation when they have more info...

we'll see.......

Associate
NEC just send them out in the white box so I wouldnt worry at all, the packaging has been designed that way, I have had 2 now and both have been in perfect condition (apart from the bleed and dead pixels :rolleyes: )

Associate
How would you guys compare the NEC against a good CRT for movie playback?

I ask because I'm returning the Philips, and I’m seriously considering getting the NEC. Thing is for movie playback I did not like the Philips that much. I currently own a LG CRT and I really don’t want a TFT with inferior color reproduction and movie playback experience that leaves me wanting to go back to my CRT. You could say I’m a picky person and if the NEC is not all it’s cracked up to be, I really rather not buy it.

With this in mind, should I take the plunge and buy the NEC, or should I forget about TFTs for a while? I’d appreciate your input

Last edited:
Soldato
well mine have backlight bleed issues........

what should i do? RMA to NEC?

Should I stop using it? Will they not replace if i use it too much?

Associate
and i thought mine was bad..

call NEC tomorrow at register the monitor and if they tell u that u should return it to the dealer and get a new one refuse.. unless u want to pay delivery charges and wait 7-10 days

Last edited:
Soldato
Z3R0-CooL said:
and i thought mine was bad..

call NEC tomorrow at register the monitor and if they tell u that u should return it to the dealer and get a new one refuse.. unless u want to pay delivery charges and wait 7-10 days
DSC00185err.jpg

seems like ive got the worst out of the lot of them!!!!!!!!!! just my luck :(

whats the returns procedure with NEC? Will they send a replacement to my works address and then when i got it I can give the faulty one back?

Associate
spluff said:
seems like ive got the worst out of the lot of them!!!!!!!!!! just my luck :(

whats the returns procedure with NEC? Will they send a replacement to my works address and then when i got it I can give the faulty one back?

currently they have none in stock... they will tell u to send it to the dealer...

two more pics..

this is with 100% brightness (factory default)
mhrp84\black.jpg

this with 50% (changed)
mhrp84\black1.jpg

Associate
crayz-walz said:
Noooo, ! just rang up ocuk, im not going to get the monitor till 2moro, but on a brighter note i did get refunded my shipping cost, ill not get to see this monitor now till friday.. so unfiar. has anyone got there's yet ?

sorry to go OT a bit but can you get shipping refund if it doesnt arrive next day?
i ordered something that was shipped on a tuesday and didnt arrive till friday. i thought id just have to accept it and get on. it didnt cause any hassle as i was at home on the friday but was annoyed at the delay after paying £9ish for delivery...

Soldato
Kamakazie! said:
sorry to go OT a bit but can you get shipping refund if it doesnt arrive next day?
i ordered something that was shipped on a tuesday and didnt arrive till friday. i thought id just have to accept it and get on. it didnt cause any hassle as i was at home on the friday but was annoyed at the delay after paying £9ish for delivery...

nope

Associate
oh bugger

hi recieved my nec today from city link,could not believe what i saw all the boxes all over the place :eek: , like they had been tossed about in the back of the truck, not a good start i thought. brown box with white box inside with padding.thought that it still might be ok,but no really bad bleed in all 4 corners,how long can keep this nec b4 i contact them, it might clear in a few days? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
it Seems that quite a few people are having problems.

Few thoughts:

- Use a black screen saver or something like "dead Pixel buddy" and use a black screen to identify whether ** screen suffers from bleeding.

- If it does you have two choices. 1) live with it, 2) call NEC and register it for RMA. Currently they have none in stock so you either wait or send it back for refund.

- NEC will ask you to send it back to ** dealer and either get a refund or exchange it. You can do that but you will have to pay delivery charges and wait 7-10 days for replacement.

my suggestion:
Call NEC immediately when u identify the problem. Explain to them that you do not wish to pay any more money for delivery charges and that you wish to RMA through NEC. They will take your details and (Hopefully) contact you when they have the monitors in stock to arrange RMA.

at the end of the day, even if the monitor "fixes itself" you can always cancel the RMA. If they ask you for a reason you can lie and say "i sold it to someone else or i sent it back for a refund"

What i have been told by NEC is that they will contact me on Friday 25th to let me know the course of action.

Back
Top Bottom