Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

Both 1080p
We were originally looking at the GTX 1070 as they were so cheap - but they've shot up in price and the price they are now it's not worth the premium for 1080p gaming.

The RX 580 or GTX 1060 will be more than adequate for 1080p so the good news is you'll be spending less money.

The bit of bad news is that i would normally advise you to get the RX 580 but the Bitcoin mining fanatics have sent the prices up and they're hard to get.

So, your left with the GTX 1060 but it's a great card - i'll link the one i would recommend.

You could get a cooler with the money saved and clock your CPU ;)

Ah trying that mess again! I'll need to hype myself up for that again! After my holiday ;)
Hehe - i've clocked another forum member with the same CPU since - better cooler - and hit 4.3GHz first time. It really is a simple process - but understand your hesitance given your last foray.

What outputs do you need from the GPU?

HDMI and DVI will be fine :)
I just don't think i've got the hands to change a heat sink, that sounds more complicated than screws and cables!!

HDMI and DVI will be fine :)
This has an HDMI and DVI and a DP port which will be useful if you upgrade your monitor in the future:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

I just don't think i've got the hands to change a heat sink, that sounds more complicated than screws and cables!!

Don't worry - not worth doing if it causes stress.

But if i remember it was pushpins? (They are a F'ing nightmare fitting system)

The cooler we would replace it with would have screws and would be very easy to fit - but as mentioned, not worth it if it causes concern. :)

I'll go with just the gpu and see if it increases my specs well enough! Cheers again :) May even purchase this week before my hols
You will see a very noticeable difference.

You may need to flash your BIOS to get it working - as the latest BIOS will have better PCIE compatibility for the latest GPUs.

Did we do that the last time before the attempted clock?

Yep, we did all that and you then told me it had the possibility of bricking it!!
Sounds like me - if said in jest :)

Great - it should hopefully slot right in.

• Download latest drivers for GTX 1060 straight from nVidia in preparation.
  • Uninstall your present drivers.
  • Turn off
  • Remove old card and install new
  • Boot up
  • Install the new drivers

Back
Top Bottom