Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

Nope can't find it.

Very basically, you have some games that are GPU intensive and some that are CPU intensive and some that are mixed.

Most modern games tend to be more GPU intensive (textures/shaders/resolution) but those same games may also have clever AI/game mechanics that will depend on the CPU for the operations.

So, if a game has a combination of the both, even if it's GPU intensive, there's the potential for the CPU to become bottlenecked (fully loaded) in some situations while the GPU will have room to spare. This can lead to stuttering/lag or the more common less FPS (gameplay not as smooth)...

If you were to clock your CPU you would reduce the odds of this happening - as it will increase your overall FPS (smoothness) and perhaps reduce any slight stuttering you may experience in some games that were maxing out CPU usage.

Basically, it would complement the card more by operating more within the GPUs limits rather than holding it back in certain situations...

I see! Looks like I'll be getting that heatsink then! Next pay packet ;)
I should have made it clear this would't apply to all games - but it would be advantageous to get you to 4.3GHz as games aren't getting any slower.

And if you're a GTA V or ARMA 3 fan they will really appreciate the extra MHz.

How much memory do you have?

I've got memory like a goldfish,
The computer on the other hand has 8 gb
Your system would appreciate another 8Gb (ideally 2 sticks of 8Gb) - but appreciate this gets expensive - but you can pick them up second hand relatively cheaply.

Last edited:
The main thing with me and gaming is I really struggle playing alone, I need another person to interact with which is why I've stuck with console for so long as my mates have all got one.
I'll have to start trying to be actively social! Scary thought

Ignore that - you would get an increase in games but not that much.

The exapmple i used is the difference between single and dual channel.

The main thing with me and gaming is I really struggle playing alone, I need another person to interact with which is why I've stuck with console for so long as my mates have all got one.
I'll have to start trying to be actively social! Scary thought
I can empathise.

I used to play q3 online when it first came out. It was a great community.

Online gaming was still spangly, shiny and new and exciting and everyone was willing to help the noobs and the whole experience was relaxing and fun - we were all so innocent back then. Yes you got the odd tw*tstick - but they really were few and far between.

Trouble is as time has moved on people have got more experienced far faster and now everyone is an expert and patience/understanding seems to be at a premium.

Servers full of said Vjjs on a stick and everyone full of smart ass responses for the poor noob whose just managed to save up for the game and trying to muddle his way through with the hope of some friendly advice. Don't go on a CS:GO server - you'll come back a shell of a online man. That or come out speaking fluent obscenities in Russian about you and your mother in compromising positions...

I still play online occasionally, but stick to comms with my brother up country and turn all other chat off. Saves me wanting to try and track the address to the IP so that i can shove their keyboard into their obnoxious, churlish mouth.

Apart from that - online gaming can be fun! :D

Having spewed all that - i have actually met some very helpful ppl in Space Engineers. So it depends largely on the type of game you play too. (trouble is SE is a bug ridden nightmare - coded by sadists who clearly want to strip you of your sanity - so you see it's a swings and roudabouts type thing :D)

Last edited:
I feel like I've just read your whole life :D
Pretty much a brief synopsis of my online experience.

I play games to unwind(when i have time), with hopefully as little grief as possible. It would be great if all servers were filled with like minded people - well some are and they just happen to be full of f'wits.

I like co-op games now - and have rented my own servers in the past and kept them private, or have set them up on one of my spare machines. Far more peaceful..

Yeah that is definitely an issue, bet they're all labour voters too!! ;)
We're red and blue in more ways than one. ;)

I'm public sector (well was) - liaised with police and schools - i've watched funding get crippled in all areas and don't get me started on the NHS...

Work for myself now - but still have close contacts, and still a fiscal mess.

*cough* move on...

Back
Top Bottom