Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

Yes, unfortunately public sector management can be a nightmare - that's why you bring people in to weed them out. Trouble is the very people that bring you in are usually the same people you identify that need to go. Fun! :/

Did you get your DVI-d?

I've just realised why i assumed you were older than you are.

Your opening post mentioned an Anderson Shelter(?) - did you do history or do you live in an older house with the remnants of one on your back garden?

If you didn't do history you must have wandered what the hell i was talking about in my first post re: Junkers... :)

Update - New graphics card is working perfectly, and although I have been in Tenerife for the over a week, I have made use of the steam sale and bought The Witcher 3 GOTY, Civ 6 and Shadow of Mordor.
Next month I will be aiming to buy the heatsink and causing a few explosions and fires whilst trying to install it.
Hopefully your guidance and knowledge will be able to fuel my less than dexterous hands!!

Update - New graphics card is working perfectly
Great!!!

and although I have been in Tenerife for the over a week
I've been stuck in my stuffy office, sweating my proverbials off, for week and you're opening statement for help leads with this?

/grumbles about lack of holiday and blistering heat...

have made use of the steam sale and bought The Witcher 3 GOTY, Civ 6 and Shadow of Mordor.
Good choices - if you like the batman games, you'll particularly like the Shadow of Mordor - very addictive, even when it starts to get repetitive.

You should be able to play them all on mostly ULTRA - although i would still leave 'Hair Works' (or similar) setting off in Witcher - as it has a dramatic effect on performance with very little visual GFX impact.

Next month I will be aiming to buy the heatsink and causing a few explosions and fires whilst trying to install it.
Hopefully your guidance and knowledge will be able to fuel my less than dexterous hands!!
No problem Nathan - always happy to add further trepidation to potential upgrades :D

I apologise! If it makes it any better, for the last weekend it was hotter there than here!
Thank you, you are a good man! I'm back on Wednesday evening so I will eargerly try my name games and hopefully get back to the forum sometime the week after!! :eek:

I apologise! If it makes it any better, for the last weekend it was hotter there than here
I suspect the silky golden sands and the sea breeze stirring off the other picturesque Canary Islands may help offset the heat somewhat. :)

Swap you my ice cold beer and kids sprinkler... (Well, the sprinkler -the budvar is mine!)

Thank you, you are a good man! I'm back on Wednesday evening so I will eargerly try my name games and hopefully get back to the forum sometime the week after!! :eek:
You clearly can't wait to play your games.

Why don't you fly back - give me your ticket and I'll take on the arduous task of completing your holiday while you play your new games? Sounds very unpleasant with that represive heat - I'm willing to take the bullet.

While you're putting together your iron filings order - a single KG should do:

Have you got any isopropyl alcohol? - isopropyl wipes will do if you haven't. This will be needed to clean off the, probably, solid thermal paste off your CPU. I'm presuming it's solid as your temps were really high - that or there's very little/uneven fit.

You can buy dedicated TIM cleaner but it's stupidly expensive for the amount you get - but easy to purchase with the cooler and you'll probably still not use it all, ever. Alternatively you can use methylated spirits (90% ethanol/isopropyl 10% methanol) if you have any in your garage, but be sure to wipe off any residue that may be left and it will take longer to evaporate - and you will need to take more care if using this. But ideally pick up some isopropyl/wipes.

I'll talk you through the cleaning process but have links too that should help. It's very easy with IP and using paper towel/coffee filters - if it's really dry/hard you sometimes have to dab the IP onto it with paper towel to soften it before it can be wiped off (not sodden paper towel). When it's all off you wipe the top of the CPU until it's spangly clean and shiny with the IP. The IP evaporates almost immediately (you dab it onto the paper towel) and will leave the CPU looking as good as new when finished polishing.

You will probably need to remove the motherboard - it will certainly make it easier to remove and fix the cooler - depends on the access you have to the back plate.

Personally, I would take the opportunity to remove the motherboard - and give the inside good spring clean. Wipe down case fans with a paint brush and hoover all the debris from your filters and dust from the base if your case etc..

You will also find it infinitely easier to remove and fit your new cooler - which i'm happy to walk you through (will need an approximate time).

Take photos of your cables etc before you start/remove - this will give you a visual aid and give you a reference when inserting your cables back. Ideally, out your SATA leads back in the same ports so Windows doesn't reassign different letters etc.

Back
Top Bottom