Needed: Upgrade advice for a Useless individual!

Would that be a very particular address by any chance?
No, a very specific address - a subtle but important difference to help appease the silicon gods.

Yes, you have much to learn - and you can order bags of gold from the retailer of your choice as OcUK don't sell them. Odd, really, considering it's vital for the installation process!

I've just read through your long explanation and it sounds tricky, I'll look at how to take out my motherboard
It's not that tricky - but there's a slim chance you may be able to replace the heatsink in situ.

But by the time you've removed the GFX card, memory and some of the cables to make room for removing the old cooler and refitting the new one - if it's still awkward then it may prove just as well to remove the whole board (you may have no choice in the matter depending on your case and access).

Take some pics of your case with the side panels off - both sides. Take close-ups of the cooler fixings - front and 'back' of the motherboard and upload them.

We can discuss your options then - but don't worry - it's not as difficult as you imagine. Your old cooler is screwed in, so no crappy INTEL pushpins to contend with. And you will be replacing it with a quality, easy screw-fit cooler.

I have links that will help and i can talk you through the process if/when you get stuck or need further guidance.

Going to look back at our posts and see what case you have...

You may be in luck.

You have a InWIN MANA-136 Case and if you look at this image - Clicky - it looks as though you'll have the access and room to remove and fit a new cooler.

Look at the gaping hole at the top left - that will give you access to fitting the bracket for the cooler from the back and the size of the case should make it 'relatively' easy to remove the old cooler and fit the other. You will still need to remove the GFX card and memory and a few leads to have full access and reduce the risk of damaging components.

Looks like you're in luck. See what the imminent purchase of a bag of gold has on the fitting process...

That's very handy! Is there a simple was to upload photos to here? Tather than upload to a separate website and copy the links in?
If you have a Dropbox account you can use that I think(?). Not tried this myself but have read others have had success.

If not then imgur is simple enough to setup and gives you different dedicated links for each image, depending on what you're using it for. Very easy to use once you've got it up and running.

Looks like i'm in double luck! The missus seems to have the alcohol wipes so I won't have to bother searching for them! I'll try and order the fan over the next week :)

Out of stock :'((((((((
I prefer the Cryoirg's performance for the money - but the be quiet has great reviews and performs almost as well (this shows how easy it is to fit - clicky - and comes with pre-applied paste which would probably suit you and save you some money):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Or there's always the classic (but prefer the be quiet!)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Last edited:
Done, Royal Mail second class, will hopefully be able to put it on over the weekend :)) then back to the horrid overclocking task again!!!:eek::eek::eek:

then back to the horrid overclocking task again!!!:eek::eek::eek:
/Maniacal laugh....

I found a great YouTube link - Clicky - shows the cooler being fitted onto a motherboard still in the case. Remember the cooler comes with pre-applied TIM so don't worry about paste coverage. Plus we would have used the simpler pea sized blob method.

Should ease some fears.

/ruined the affect of my opening maniacal laugh :/

I will try and install it tomorrow!! 4f1eVuu.jpg
a>

I am unaware of what mobo is. Please don't say it's something simple and make me look like an idiot
Well it's not simple - it's quite an intricate circuit board.

It allows communication between the CPU, memory, gfx card, sound card (or integrated) and all other vital components that make the 'whole' of a computer work...
Mobo=MB=Motherboard :D

Back
Top Bottom