Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Its not really competition though. R-Pi was always designed to be an educational tool so using Linux and making it dirt cheap is the obvious choice. These new boards are Android based which is great if you want a load of app dev kids but fundamentally learning skills in linux on the cheaper, simpler Pi is going to be better for the kids. Of course if you just want a tiny PC then wait for the Cotton Candy or MK802, youll be disappointed with the performance of the Pi.

Last edited:
Why are people rushing out to buy a computer which isn't anywhere near as powerful as they one they've already got, just because it's cheap?

Aren't these thing supposed to be for schools, not IT geeks who want a bit of cheap hardware they'll get bored with after a day or two.

Why are people rushing out to buy a computer which isn't anywhere near as powerful as they one they've already got, just because it's cheap?

Aren't these thing supposed to be for schools, not IT geeks who want a bit of cheap hardware they'll get bored with after a day or two.

I think you're missing the point of it.
It's incredibly low powered, incredibly small, incredibly cheap, incredibly versatile.

Like the guy above who's putting one on a quadrocopter.
I doubt a desktop system would fly very well

For me it's possibly (someone correct me if i'm wrong) a HTPC that fits into your pocket that you can take round to your mates/gf's house, as 9 time out of 10 they're not a kitted out as us geeks are. Just pull it out of your pocket, connect to the TV and bam, HD movies on the move

For me it's possibly (someone correct me if i'm wrong) a HTPC that fits into your pocket that you can take round to your mates/gf's house, as 9 time out of 10 they're not a kitted out as us geeks are. Just pull it out of your pocket, connect to the TV and bam, HD movies on the move

Would you put a bit of chipboard in your pocket? Wouldn't you be worried about some of the components getting knocked off if you bumped into something?

And why can't you do the above with a smartphone?

Yeah I want one of these as a HTPC for my TV that can stream all my movies, music and TV shows from my nas so I don't have to keep plugging my tablet into the tv. Its a cheap easy way of achieving this without shelling out a couple of hundred to create a mini desktop pc to do the job.

And as the other competitors have android on it should be a breeze to get Plex working on it with no messing around.

EDIT: In reply to estebanrey, there will be cases coming out for the Pi and thus you can stick it quite easily in your pocket without any worries. And what smartphone have you got that's got a hdmi connector on it? As most smartphones don't as far as i know?

Last edited:
Yeah I want one of these as a HTPC for my TV that can stream all my movies, music and TV shows from my nas so I don't have to keep plugging my tablet into the tv. Its a cheap easy way of achieving this without shelling out a couple of hundred to create a mini desktop pc to do the job.

And as the other competitors have android on it should be a breeze to get Plex working on it with no messing around.

If you already have a tablet then you can use it to SSH into the Pi and you wont have to faff about with a keyboard and mouse to control it.

Would you put a bit of chipboard in your pocket? Wouldn't you be worried about some of the components getting knocked off if you bumped into something?

And why can't you do the above with a smartphone?

That's why cases were invented..
Smartphones can't run xmbc and this is much cheaper.

If you already have a tablet then you can use it to SSH into the Pi and you wont have to faff about with a keyboard and mouse to control it.

That's an interesting idea. I just have to wait and see if Plex or XMBC can run well on it and is easy to setup as I am a bit clueless in this regard. That's why the android competition is appealing. And all i would need is a mouse connected to it to control it so if it has a usb slot I'm good to go with a wireless mouse.

We will see as I am in not great rush to get one and want to see what can be done with the Pi.

Back
Top Bottom