Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Just watched a film in the cinema room using the PI

Worked flawlessy in using the Raspbmc build

Streamed and skipped an paused with DTS audio fine.

Very odd for 27 quid and so small lol....The kids were in wonder! lol

Forgot to mention thsi was streamed over the network from the server too

Just watched a film in the cinema room using the PI

Worked flawlessy in using the Raspbmc build

Streamed and skipped an paused with DTS audio fine.

Very odd for 27 quid and so small lol....The kids were in wonder! lol

Forgot to mention thsi was streamed over the network from the server too

Yeah I am still playing with debian, just tried out omxplayer and oh my god it's amazing, handles 720p fine!

I will buy one of these 100% if it can playback Blu-Ray MKV rips, although I doubt something costing £27 can handle 1080p and HD audio?

I will see tomorrow, I am pretty sure it can.
Anyone running raspbian here? Heard it's better than squeeze but to be honest, it's actually very good in its current state.
I do want to try Open ElEC and raspbian but I need a few more sd cards. Very pleased so far.

Last edited:
I need to dig mine out and start playing around again. Been a bit busy lately. Should have my second board arriving soon as well (yes i'm greedy :D).

What is that camera module you've plugged in easy rider?

I got my second Pi today it seems, along with a nice t-shirt from Farnell, huge Element 14 logo and small Raspberry Pi one :p

Had the first one a couple of weeks but didn't get much time to play with it until this weekend just gone, built and used OpenELEC and it was completely painless which is always nice.

Did some brief testing with some reasonable quality mkv's (~1.3Gb for a 42 minute file) and it performed well, it was a bit laggy when you brought up the menu over the video but for playing the files it was fine.

So yeah, quite impressed with it for £24 should make a nice media player, now to decide whether I really need two or to get rid of one :p

My main problem is because I can't get Windows 7 to share a directory without requiring a password, ended up using a linux vm and NFS to get the share working for xbmc, but need to sort out a NAS at some point anyway...

I got my second Pi today it seems, along with a nice t-shirt from Farnell, huge Element 14 logo and small Raspberry Pi one :p

Had the first one a couple of weeks but didn't get much time to play with it until this weekend just gone, built and used OpenELEC and it was completely painless which is always nice.

Did some brief testing with some reasonable quality mkv's (~1.3Gb for a 42 minute file) and it performed well, it was a bit laggy when you brought up the menu over the video but for playing the files it was fine.

So yeah, quite impressed with it for £24 should make a nice media player, now to decide whether I really need two or to get rid of one :p

My main problem is because I can't get Windows 7 to share a directory without requiring a password, ended up using a linux vm and NFS to get the share working for xbmc, but need to sort out a NAS at some point anyway...
You can quite easily mount smb shares with passwords, never played with OpenElec though so maybe it has some restrictions.

There shouldn't be a password though, and even if I set one on my user account it doesn't want to log in, or as a guest account if I enable that, it's just windows being special, doesn't work windows 7 to windows 7 either with my housemates machine.

Did do some googling, few threads with the same problem but no resolution that worked for me so I gave up after half an hour or so and setup the vm to do it, which took all of 20 seconds and works fine

EDIT: Sorry for the OT anti-ms rant, I do hate it when that happens :p

Been playing with min and the Raspbmc performance seems to be better than Openelec for me

Very impressed, anyone who sees it cant believe it was only £27..........its the future!

Back
Top Bottom