Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

Soldato
where are the links for xmbc port?

The two ways I know of getting it are:

http://openelec.tv/

or

http://www.raspbmc.com/

Both work for me, raspbmc is slightly easier/quicker, I think it is also slightly better in the menu's but still a bit sluggish when you've got the menu up whilst playing a video, but then I'm not hugely bothered by that even if it can't be 'fixed'.

Am liking it though, and with me moving in the next few weeks to a place where I can actually have a TV it's just about perfect timing :p

I'm tempted to sell my second one on ebay, fetching quite silly prices but not sure I want to rip people off, might sell it at cost to someone at work as well but not sure yet...

Soldato
There shouldn't be a password though, and even if I set one on my user account it doesn't want to log in, or as a guest account if I enable that, it's just windows being special, doesn't work windows 7 to windows 7 either with my housemates machine.

Did do some googling, few threads with the same problem but no resolution that worked for me so I gave up after half an hour or so and setup the vm to do it, which took all of 20 seconds and works fine

EDIT: Sorry for the OT anti-ms rant, I do hate it when that happens :p

You have turned off password protected sharing in the advanced sharing options right?

Soldato
Anyone tried a large (7gb+) 1080p file?

How does this compare to a HP Mini 311c / Nvidia ION capabilities?

Not got anything that big, biggest I can find after a quick search is a 6172kbps 1080p which is 2.6Gb for 54 minutes, which plays fine :)

Not sure I'd ever bother with a higher quality file personally and most of the ones I've got are lower...

You have turned off password protected sharing in the advanced sharing options right?

Yep, the sharing tab in properties even says "People without a user account and password for this computer can access folders shared with everyone"

Except they can't, so security is exceptional if nothing else :p

Soldato
Yep, the sharing tab in properties even says "People without a user account and password for this computer can access folders shared with everyone"

Except they can't, so security is exceptional if nothing else :p

I've found that any computer can access my PC after a couple of reinstalls and no matter what I set my laptop to, nothing can access it, ever. I have done countless reinstalls of W7 on it and removed all security and it still won't let my PC access folders. Windows 7 is odd. :D

Soldato
OP
XFOnDl.png.jpg
Have SqueezeSlave and wow it works really well and audio is suprisngly good.
You could get loads of pi's around the house running speakers, and you have very cheap home audio.
There is also a distribution called squeezeplug, which is quite nice and includes the server but I am running the server off my more beefy nas.
Also you can use soft squeeze to control it, it's quite a powerful program and best of all it's free :).
E7P5J.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am finding raspbian much better than the debian release so far.
X11 forwarding is working fine so that's nice :)
But it's really minimal, it didn't even have make :O.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived today \o/.

What power supplies are you guys using? I have tried a Samsung phone charger (0.7mA) and I don't think it is supplying enough juice as I'm getting the "mmc0 timeout waiting for hardware interrupt" error on boot up.

Back
Top Bottom