NEST thermostats

Associate
Im after a bit of advice if anyone would be good enough to help. We purchased a nest v3 including installation from Currys due to receiving a gift card. Two guys came to fit it this morning but left after an hour saying that it couldn't be fitted to our existing system where we wanted it. Could someone confirm if this is the case.

Current System

Potterton Manual Thermostat in Living Room downstairs

Hot Water cylinder and wiring centre in airing cupboard upstairs

Baxi boiler and Potterton programmer in utility room downstairs.

We specifically wanted the nest thermostat placing on the wall in place of the Potterton.

The guys said that there was no permanent live feed in the airing cupboard which was where the thermostat wires were fed to and so they could not fit the nest.

Does this sound right. Ive no experience of this kind of thing but living in a relatively new built house I was surprised by what they said.

Regards

Rob

Soldato
Had something similar fitted actually.

Very similar / same setup

The guys just seem confused unless I'm missing something.

- Fit Nest Heat Link in the airing cupboard instead of downstairs (you don't need to 'do' anything on it, so no need for it to be downstairs)
- Nest Heat Link will give out the required power for the thermostat (5v I believe)
- Cable already runs in the wall from thermostat to airing cupboard, so simply connect that into the heat link

Soldato
Hi all,

Asked my builder to leave the old wires from the thermostat that was in place but this is what I see:

vNyVRJg.jpg

Am I right in thinking that this is a full on power cable and wont work with the next thermostat or is this correct?

Soldato
Hi all,

Asked my builder to leave the old wires from the thermostat that was in place but this is what I see:

vNyVRJg.jpg

Am I right in thinking that this is a full on power cable and wont work with the next thermostat or is this correct?
That's fine... What it is connected to at the other end is what matters :) 12v DC I believe is what the Nest Heat Link gives out to power the stat

Soldato
It's our turn to install a Nest now! We have bought the Nest with installation, but I would like to run the cable between the heatlink and the thermostat if possible. As such, I need to know where the the thermostat is best placed.

The current thermostat is a wireless one, and lives in an alcove next to the cooker on an outside wall. This means when it's cold, it's cold, and when the cooker is on, it's very hot. Probably not the best place for it.

Any advice on where best to place it would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached a floor plan, with:

Red: ground floor radiators
Green: current thermostat position
Purple: Previous thermostat position
Blue: Possible thermostat position
Yellow: Boiler

The sitting room has an open fire, so I believe it to be unsuitable for siting the thermostat. While the bathroom is a work in progress, I can easily run a cable from boiler's position, in to the bathroom floor, and emerge under the stairs.

The Blue dot position would be the easiest location to install to, but I am worried about the cooker and unheated utility room skewing the temperature relative to the rest of the house.

Edit: some additional information.

The hallway/kitchen door is always open. The kitchen/utility door it always ajar so the cats can get through.

37171411905_d1bbcc6afa_c.jpg

37171412385_416002d655_c.jpg

37029281141_cc2e6a44ae_c.jpg

Caporegime
It's our turn to install a Nest now! We have bought the Nest with installation, but I would like to run the cable between the heatlink and the thermostat if possible. As such, I need to know where the the thermostat is best placed.

The current thermostat is a wireless one, and lives in an alcove next to the cooker on an outside wall. This means when it's cold, it's cold, and when the cooker is on, it's very hot. Probably not the best place for it.

Any advice on where best to place it would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached a floor plan, with:

Red: ground floor radiators
Green: current thermostat position
Purple: Previous thermostat position
Blue: Possible thermostat position
Yellow: Boiler

The sitting room has an open fire, so I believe it to be unsuitable for siting the thermostat. While the bathroom is a work in progress, I can easily run a cable from boiler's position, in to the bathroom floor, and emerge under the stairs.

The Blue dot position would be the easiest location to install to, but I am worried about the cooker and unheated utility room skewing the temperature relative to the rest of the house.

It should be either in the living room or the hallway (purple)

Also the thermostat communicates wirelessly to the heatlink. If you have paid for installation the guy will know how and where to hook it up and likely have done hundreds of them. My installer took like 45 minutes and most of that was making sure it was installed nice and flush, etc.

Soldato
It should be either in the living room or the hallway (purple)

Also the thermostat communicates wirelessly to the heatlink. If you have paid for installation the guy will know how and where to hook it up and likely have done hundreds of them. My installer took like 45 minutes and most of that was making sure it was installed nice and flush, etc.

But if I have put it in the sitting room, and then light the fire in there, the rest of the house will fall cold when the thermostat quickly reaches temperature in that room, no?

Does the thermostat need main power as well as the heatlink link via either cable or wireless?

Having not had it done before, I'm wondering about what lengths the installer will go to to install it, or if they'll just pop it on a stand, stick it in the alcove and call the job done.

Soldato
But if I have put it in the sitting room, and then light the fire in there, the rest of the house will fall cold when the thermostat quickly reaches temperature in that room, no?

Does the thermostat need main power as well as the heatlink link via either cable or wireless?

Having not had it done before, I'm wondering about what lengths the installer will go to to install it, or if they'll just pop it on a stand, stick it in the alcove and call the job done.

Sounds like you'd be best to put it in the hallway then.

The Nest thermostat can either be powered via two cables from the Heatlink (usually used if you are replacing an existing wired thermostat) or can be plugged into a wall socket.

Caporegime

It should then be in the hallway where your original stat was. There is a reason why it was there in the first place.

Also if you use a fire in the living room then you have a catch 22 situation. Do you turn the radiator in there down to stop the room overheating therefore you need to use the fire all the time. Or leave the radiator on and then it's too hot in that room.

If it's a pro installer he will do it properly

Soldato
Sounds like you'd be best to put it in the hallway then.

The Nest thermostat can either be powered via two cables from the Heatlink (usually used if you are replacing an existing wired thermostat) or can be plugged into a wall socket.

Finding a plug to connect it to is more difficult than running a cable from the heatlink, and having a cable from a socket to a wall mounted thermostat above isn't really the level of finish I'm expecting.

It should then be in the hallway where your original stat was. There is a reason why it was there in the first place.

Also if you use a fire in the living room then you have a catch 22 situation. Do you turn the radiator in there down to stop the room overheating therefore you need to use the fire all the time. Or leave the radiator on and then it's too hot in that room.

If it's a pro installer he will do it properly

Then I think the hallway is the spot. I thought the current wireless one may have been placed for convenience rather than correct performance.

The fire does perhaps create a catch 22 on paper, but day to day it's easily managed by the TRVs. If it all gets too much, we can just manually control the heating.

Last edited:
Soldato
I put mine in the lounge and regretted it, when you have people over the lounge stays warmer then the rest of the house so when they are all gone you are left in a freezing cold home. :(

Soldato
but it is the heating that's the problem, the gas is proving to be pretty expensive.
heating runs for 5/6 hours a day on a temperature of 21/22C - that seems to make the home cosy for us.

anyone got any tips on setting this thing up to be more cost effective!?#

You know nothing John Snaaw. Our house has insufficient amount and size of radiators, is a cottage of about 150+ years old with the upstairs in the eaves.

We're waiting for our boiler to pack up before we replace it with all rads and install an extra one.

Soldato

Ensure that the radiator has a thermostatic valve (TRV), then if the room is warm the radiator will turn itself off when the rest of the house is being heated.
Dead easy to install.

Drayton TRV4 if your buying one.. About the best out there and not silly money.

Caporegime
I put mine in the lounge and regretted it, when you have people over the lounge stays warmer then the rest of the house so when they are all gone you are left in a freezing cold home. :(

Can you not leave the lounge doors open?

Or if you know people are coming over lower the stat by 2 degrees 2 hours before they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom