Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
I'll pass on what you have said and see if I hear anything back about it.
Yeah I know what you mean about the tap and tun issue. Apparently it's down to security issues.

So put a warning on the box, 'May allow NSA to decipher your traffic if you use this protocol'' but to completely exclude iOS is a tad extreme.

Soldato
FYI - so I had another test f/w sent over, this time I could watch bbc iplayer (and other apps), it connected to the network but still the plusnet IPTV is not connecting. Hopefully they will figure something out.

There is nothing wrong with Plusnet. I can get connected IPTV no problem. But, mind you I use my own static ip address.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, that would be useful, it would certainly remove the need for me to run a seperate server on the LAN.

What is needed is the ability to have a table that the router checks first before forwarding the DNS requests, so a LAN device looking for lmail.*.com gets the LAN address rather than the WAN address; aliases would be useful too.

As I said, I dont suppose Netgear had SOHO in mind when the D7000 firmware was bing put together.

I don't quite understand the VPN policy they have used, why TUN only when iOS currently only supports TAP seems a very strange thing to do.:confused:

Marjohn, can you elaborate a bit more on this. I've had a reply and all they asked was 'Do you mean the lmain.*.com is a private domain in LAN?'
I'm unsure what you meant either as its not a function I use. So more information would be great. There is a language barrier of sorts so the simpler the better.

As for iOS and android VPN support. I've been told this will be released early in 2016.

Associate
Marjohn, can you elaborate a bit more on this. I've had a reply and all they asked was 'Do you mean the lmain.*.com is a private domain in LAN?'
I'm unsure what you meant either as its not a function I use. So more information would be great. There is a language barrier of sorts so the simpler the better.

As for iOS and android VPN support. I've been told this will be released early in 2016.

I'll pm you with an explanation and examples tomorrow.

Associate
I have this installed now and relatively happy with performance. Still doesn't provide full coverage of my home but have an old wireless n router the other end running in bridge mode with same SSID, DHCP disabled etc.

The D7000 doesn't show this router as an attached device though, and I cant access the secondary router via the static IP I've set... (192.168.0.99). Instead the clients attached to this access point are using gateway 92.8.32.1 and is issuing IP's 92.8.40.233 onwards.

Can't see where this is set and my logic is failing; any pointers.
Also, noticed I have 3 months Netgear Support; wonder if it's worth asking them..?

Associate
I have this installed now and relatively happy with performance. Still doesn't provide full coverage of my home but have an old wireless n router the other end running in bridge mode with same SSID, DHCP disabled etc.

The D7000 doesn't show this router as an attached device though, and I cant access the secondary router via the static IP I've set... (192.168.0.99). Instead the clients attached to this access point are using gateway 92.8.32.1 and is issuing IP's 92.8.40.233 onwards.

Can't see where this is set and my logic is failing; any pointers.
Also, noticed I have 3 months Netgear Support; wonder if it's worth asking them..?

Try connecting to the LAN port of the second router not the WAN port. Wireless devices should then get thier address etc from the D7000. Strange things can happen with a double NAT.

OR you can do what I have done for my VPN. Set a static on the WAN port that matches the LAN side of the D7000 and have the DHCP turned on on the second router. Connecting Wifi clients will get an address off that router but it should all route correctly.

e.g.

D7000 Lan = 192.168.0.1 ; DHCP 192.168.0.100 > 192.168.0.199 ( unless you have more than 99 clients

Second Router WAN Static as 192.168.0.2 , def gate = 192.168.0.1, DNS 8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4 ( or your preferred DNS)

Second Router LAN = 192.168.1.1 DHCP 192.168.1.100 > 192.168.1.199

etc etc

Associate
I'll pm you with an explanation and examples tomorrow.

Hmmm.. cannot find your PM, I must be having a moment!

Anyway, I'll try and keep it short.

I have a couple of servers on my LAN, I also have a static WAN IP, well it's a Sky virtual static in that it's a fixed DHCP address but that's an aside.

I won't post my real domain name as I don't really want lots of attempts to hack my system, so I'll use the name foobar.com.

So, the global DNS servers know of the address lmail.foobar.com, any device attempting to connect to that will get my WAN IP address. My router then forwards the relevent ports to the correct server.

Now, imagine I am sat at home, with my iPhone/Android whatever and they are now connected to the local LAN and not EE/Vodafone or an external WiFi network and I want to collect mail. The mail clients are told to goto lmail.foobar.com to get the mail, sadly they are still going to get the WAN IP because the D7000 is not equipped with a LAN DNS resolver that knows that lmail.foobar.com is actually sat at 192.168.1.30 and not at 88.123.453.34 ( not my real IP!), so it fails. The router itself cannot have the domain foobar.com becuase that is hosted elswhere, it does not need to though, all it needs to know is that the server lmail.foobar.com lives on its LAN, not outside of it.

Yes, I could set the fixed PC's to point to the local address but that won't work with the portable devices.

On my Vigor I could set up LAN DNS names so it would check them first before checking the global DNS servers, even my old ASUS running 3rd party firmware could do it.

Have a shone a little light on it?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmmm.. cannot find your PM, I must be having a moment!

Anyway, I'll try and keep it short.

I have a couple of servers on my LAN, I also have a static WAN IP, well it's a Sky virtual static in that it's a fixed DHCP address but that's an aside.

I won't post my real domain name as I don't really want lots of attempts to hack my system, so I'll use the name foobar.com.

So, the global DNS servers know of the address lmail.foobar.com, any device attempting to connect to that will get my WAN IP address. My router then forwards the relevent ports to the correct server.

Now, imagine I am sat at home, with my iPhone/Android whatever and they are now connected to the local LAN and not EE/Vodafone or an external WiFi network and I want to collect mail. The mail clients are told to goto lmail.foobar.com to get the mail, sadly they are still going to get the WAN IP because the D7000 is not equipped with a LAN DNS resolver that knows that lmail.foobar.com is actually sat at 192.168.1.30 and not at 88.123.453.34 ( not my real IP!), so it fails. The router itself cannot have the domain foobar.com becuase that is hosted elswhere, it does not need to though, all it needs to know is that the server lmail.foobar.com lives on its LAN, not outside of it.

Yes, I could set the fixed PC's to point to the local address but that won't work with the portable devices.

On my Vigor I could set up LAN DNS names so it would check them first before checking the global DNS servers, even my old ASUS running 3rd party firmware could do it.

Have a shone a little light on it?

I'm guessing you were meant to quote me in this post? I can certianly pass that on. It is something I have never used but can ask to see what is said.

Permabanned
Can this replace my Homehub 5 with Infinity 2? I used to use the Asus N55U before I got BT fibre and just left the Homehub 5 connected. Signal at the edges of the house and in the garden are crap now!

Associate
Can this replace my Homehub 5 with Infinity 2? I used to use the Asus N55U before I got BT fibre and just left the Homehub 5 connected. Signal at the edges of the house and in the garden are crap now!

Yes. and touch wood it appears very stable.

We had very heavy rain last night, and for some reason, whenever it rained my Vigor would lose vdsl sync and keep re-training; D7000.... not a flicker.

Soldato
OP
Heard back from Netgear, They understand what you mean and said they may add it in the future if more people requested it. I wouldn't hold your breathe.

Back
Top Bottom