Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure on internals but I think the features will remain the same.
I think the R7000 is USB 2 where as the D7000 is USB 3. I think they are located differently also.

Associate
Yeah, sorry, I know that, forgot to mention that I have a HG612 for the modem if needed? :)

Other things to note:

R7000 can be flashed with open firmware, as yet there is no open firmware for the D7000, and probably won't be.

One box solution.

Apart from an internet connection, what else is important to you. VPN VLAN WiFi, Media.... let us know and we'll try and help you make the right decision.

Man of Honour
Other things to note:

R7000 can be flashed with open firmware, as yet there is no open firmware for the D7000, and probably won't be.

One box solution.

Apart from an internet connection, what else is important to you. VPN VLAN WiFi, Media.... let us know and we'll try and help you make the right decision.

Basically I value rock solid stability, after that raw speed (cabled & wireless) I'm running 2 x laptops, 2 x Android phones, 2 x tablets (mostly just 1 running at any given time) & a WD NAS.

And has to work with Sky Fibre :)

Associate
In that case you could go with the D7000 if you want a one box solution. It works out of the box with sky. The R7000 does not, you would need to flash it with open firmware to be able to use option 60/61.

The users on this thread who are using the D7000 have nothing bad to say about it, it is rock solid and has good WiFi.

There are things missing, VPN that works with iOS and no VLANs on the LAN side, something that will be sorted in future firmware. To be honest, for Sky at present its really the only solid one box solution worth having.

Man of Honour
In that case you could go with the D7000 if you want a one box solution. It works out of the box with sky. The R7000 does not, you would need to flash it with open firmware to be able to use option 60/61.

The users on this thread who are using the D7000 have nothing bad to say about it, it is rock solid and has good WiFi.

There are things missing, VPN that works with iOS and no VLANs on the LAN side, something that will be sorted in future firmware. To be honest, for Sky at present its really the only solid one box solution worth having.

Thanks for the info, I'll research into the D7000 then as I don't want to mess about, that's why I'm selling my newly bought Archer C9 :(

If the R7000 worked out of the box I'd likely go that route?

Is the D7000 using a Broadcom chipset?

Associate
I would be interested in looking at your graphs. Could you post them using http://postimage.org/ and then posting the link?>

I have just posted this one http://s9.postimg.org/7ie10fz2n/SNRpertone_2015_09_02_12_33_46.png

This graph shows the S/N over time for both the Billion and the Netgear D7000. You can clearly see the S/N varying with the Billion over time, but when using the Netgear it is only a downward trend. A power cycle returns the S/N to 6dB, but over time it drops to around 3dB.

http://s10.postimg.org/5w1b9lbp5/s_n_billion_netgear.png

The graph belows shows "holes" in the bits/tone graph around 600 and 1750 approx. This occurs after several days of uptime - these areas suffer from REIN at night. It would appear that these bins are permanently "disabled"

http://s2.postimg.org/7cz0qafp5/Bins.png

Below is the S/N graph per tone during the day - ie when there is no REIN noise. It clearly shows that there is enough S/N to enable the tones, however they remain disabled resulting in the reduced S/N.

http://s10.postimg.org/8vqlfoepl/SN_bins.png

Hope this makes sense.

Associate
All makes sense, I have just one question, well two...

Is it DSLStats v5.6.1 you are using, if so, how do you manage to get more than 24 hours in a single graph, I cannot see a way of doing it....

Soldato
Basically I value rock solid stability, after that raw speed (cabled & wireless) I'm running 2 x laptops, 2 x Android phones, 2 x tablets (mostly just 1 running at any given time) & a WD NAS.

And has to work with Sky Fibre :)

Only had my D7000 for a couple of weeks, but was straight-forward to setup with Sky Fibre and seems perfectly stable to me thus far.

Soldato
Excellent to hear, can I ask please, how are your speeds and pings compared to the Sky router, and have you had any drop outs? Thanks :)

TBH, I haven't spent any time looking just yet. Never had issue with the SR102 for speed of connection, more limited wifi and a few 'missing features'.....
However, can report that the D7000 has been totally stable with the raft of connections my household seems to require :)

Associate
I also cannot really give a comparison to the OR modem as I have not used it for over a year; in that time I have had an Asus DSL-AC68 and a Vigor 2860, also G.Inp came along as well and changed everythimg. What I can tell you is that when I did use the OR modem I had a sync rate of 62Mbps and a ping time ( using OOKLA to structured comms in London ) of 13ms.

My current stats are.... just running it now Ping is 7ms and DL is 67.3, howeve sync rate is is 71200. If I do a usenet d/l I can get the full 71Mbs transfer rate and a bit more. Ping time, it should be noted if I ping SC direct from the router I get 5ms.. so for the extra 2ms would be my Powerline adaptors adding a couple of ms.

A lot of the improvement is down to G.Inp and possibly Sky have put me on a speed profile rather than stable... that bit is unknown.

Associate
All makes sense, I have just one question, well two...

Is it DSLStats v5.6.1 you are using, if so, how do you manage to get more than 24 hours in a single graph, I cannot see a way of doing it....

I took the graphs from the website - mydslwebstats.co.uk - DSLstats can upload to this site.

Back
Top Bottom