New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Caporegime
I'm expecting this to have better image quality than my current IPS even in games that don't support HDR. It's a much better spec screen on paper.

For little things like banding and so on, possibly but contrast ratio will still be much the same as well as backlight bleed and severe IPS glow issues i.e. dell's last FALD monitor with just SDR content:

Also, it will be interesting to see if they have managed to speed up the response rates for the zones:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
what I meant was that Nvidia won't give up their Gsync module in Gsync branded screens and they will ignore/block the HDMI 2.1 standard in regards to VRR(my theory). So you would have a screen with HDMI 2.1 but it's going through the Gsync module unless it is a double scaler/module implementation which won't be cheap and most likely also blocked by Nvidia. So you will always end up with the tax as someone has to pay the extra for the module. I will happily eat some salt and an old hat if Nvidia ends up supporting the VRR standard(including Freesync branded screens) as I highly doubt that is ever going to happen.

Sounds like we are actually in agreement! :p

Ignoring VRR, I suppose the increased bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 would be better than DP1.4... due to the bandwidth limitation of DP1.4, I believe 4:4:4 is limited to 98Hz, and at higher refresh rates you have to drop to 4:2:2, which obviously screws up HDR.

Soldato
The actual panels have only gone in to mass production in last month or so. They’ve been in planning and development for a long time but it’s an incredibly complex development with variable refresh rate and a FALD. also not to mention the need for DP 1.4 to carry the bandwidth needed

Correct me if wrong but if these monitors are truly 4K + 144Hz + 10Bit HDR 4:4:4 should require at least 31.35Gbps.

DP 1.4 can do it only by using DSC, but that would drop it to 4:2:2 which is 8Bit HDR, so "true HDR" is out of the window.
Only HDMI 2.1 can do it without issue, but no Nvidia card exists yet with this port.

Man of Honour
Badass Asus or Acer going to send you one for review? I'd send you my X27 when I get it in if you weren't across the pond.
Yes hoping to get both of them when available. I’m in regular contact with both about getting hold of them. Not sure how far in advance of release it will be, if at all

Soldato
Assuming you aren't sitting 2 feet from the TV and aren't bothered about sync tech..... 1080P @ 120HZ on the 2017/2018 LG models is fantastic and should fix any of the issues with input lag etc. that most people always dislike about 60HZ displays.

Myself and a number of other friends have commented on how disappointing 4k is compared to 1080P in media and more so game related content (unless the media/game is specifically made for 4k or/and using proper 4k assets) when sat the appropriate distance of 7-8 feet from the TV, so much so that the only time my TV ever switches to 4k is when viewing content on netflix, although I might even start to limit the res. to just 1080P for that now as well) EDIT: And of course, UHD films, but I get these solely for the HDR part.

Also, the nvidia 65" display will be far more than £2k, the last price rumour was £5k iirc (especially when these 27" displays are going to be costing £2k)

The assumption seems to be that everyone wants to game on a 60hz OLED TV but I don't, at all. Picture quality is amazing but pretty much everything else is terrible. I tried it for an hour and hated it. I thought these big G-Sync TV's were going to be way more than 2k but if they hit at about that I'd consider it (unless there is a OLED 4k 120hz TV with G-sync planned).

Agreed it really needs to be a TV recommended viewing distance away rather than using it as a monitor which i definitely wouldn't recommend. I use mine from approx 8-10 feet. And love it.

Although it does not get 100% use though, as i do like my 165hz for fps and k+m, hense why i wouldn't recommend the OLED soley as a monitor. Just too close.

Haven't even thought about sync tech on mine has been great. I haven't tried mine with a mouse yet but use it with a controller at 4k 60hz and the input lag is plenty low enough. Can't notice the difference between that and my monitor with a controller anyway, even at 30hz on my ps4 pro i haven't even noticed it.

I've had 4k 27" in the past and there isn't that much of a difference between that and 1440p. More of a difference from 1080p to 1440p.

Considering its price tag and the system you would need to even attempt to target 4k 144hz (1180Ti SLI) most likely. And the fact it's only 27" really needs to be 32"-34"ish at the very least to get the best from 4k close up.

Last edited:
Associate
The actual panels have only gone in to mass production in last month or so. They’ve been in planning and development for a long time but it’s an incredibly complex development with variable refresh rate and a FALD. also not to mention the need for DP 1.4 to carry the bandwidth needed

Fair enough I just don't see it being worth £2,000 or more which likely the UK conversion cost. Not even close I'd expect to pay max £800 - £1,000. Pc gaming is pricing itself way out of the market with this kind of stuff and I just don't get it. If a similar experience can be had on a decent TV and a console for a fraction of the cost of a monitor and a GPU to run it not to mention the rest of the stuff.

It's not like an 1180 is going to be less than £700. So all in you could be £3,000 and even then you aren't going to get 144fps at 4K.

I question the logic in making a niche product in a niche market and setting it at a niche price. Is that really going to make you money?

Would be good baddass if you could do a tear down cost analysis. I.e this is the cost of the panel, this is the cost of the gsync module. That data has to be out there via your contacts.

Soldato
I think it might be better on the 35" 200hz FALD version, because the 27" is AHVA (IPS) and the 35" one is VA, so with IPS you are going to get more glow eg. IPS glow. Overall I cannot see why people would get this monitor rather than waiting for the 35" version, but frankly the pricing on them is ridiculous.

Soldato
Also you can see on that video that it is still an IPS panel with 1000:1 static contrast, the 35" 200hz one looks much more interesting but also will be stupidly expensive probably.

Soldato
OP
Also you can see on that video that it is still an IPS panel with 1000:1 static contrast, the 35" 200hz one looks much more interesting but also will be stupidly expensive probably.

Blurring on the latest fast refresh IPS panels is really not an issue with proper overdrive whereas every single VA panel still has issues with dark pixel transitions, some more than others of course.

Soldato
Blurring on the latest fast refresh IPS panels is really not an issue with proper overdrive whereas every single VA panel still has issues with dark pixel transitions, some more than others of course.

Yes I was going to say that but didn't, it is likely the 35" will have some black smearing and more blur, depends how bad that is. My negative comments are mostly due to me being offended by the price of this monitor, also that I think 27" is too small when this has FALD and HDR and all of this.

Soldato
OP
Yes I was going to say that but didn't, it is likely the 35" will have some black smearing and more blur, depends how bad that is. My negative comments are mostly due to me being offended by the price of this monitor, also that I think 27" is too small when this has FALD and HDR and all of this.

Totally agree with the price being way too much. I would have expected 32-34 inches and OLED to even begin to justify the price tag. But its Acer and Asus so the tax is here to stay.

Soldato
Totally agree with the price being way too much. I would have expected 32-34 inches and OLED to even begin to justify the price tag. But its Acer and Asus so the tax is here to stay.

Won't get OLED PC monitors though probably due to burn in problems, maybe when the new microled or whatever is released that will be suitable for monitors.

Also both of these monitors have AUoptronics panels which to be honest do not look as good as other panels from LG or Samsung. So overall yes they are good specs, but not sure they will be THAT good to be worth what they are trying to charge for them.

Soldato
Sorry to be a "negative nancy" here, but I am genuinely offended by the price of these monitors, I take it as a personal insult to PC users, but it seems a lot of people will probably STILL get these even at 2k and then probably the next monitors will be 3k etc etc etc.

I reckon it is this guy that runs the pricing department for new PC monitors :

value.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom