*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

I managed to get mine new for £650. Alas I was given a BOE monitor. I can return the laptop, however taking into account return costs and buying a new one, I reckon it will cost me around another £65 to get one with an LG screen (and it could be BEO again.) Is it worth the risk? The screen looks good, it just sucks knowing I could have better

If it looks good and you are happy with it then I would stick with it. You could return it and get one with bad bleed, dead pixels or other issues....

Last edited:
I think I'm just being too picky and expecting too much from it, for something portable that still plays games at a decent level, that should be perfect, especially at the price being banded around.

I managed to get mine new for £650. Alas I was given a BOE monitor. I can return the laptop, however taking into account return costs and buying a new one, I reckon it will cost me around another £65 to get one with an LG screen (and it could be BEO again.) Is it worth the risk? The screen looks good, it just sucks knowing I could have better

can i ask how you got it for £650?

I think I'm just being too picky and expecting too much from it, for something portable that still plays games at a decent level, that should be perfect, especially at the price being banded around.

Best thing I did for my gaming was to not be bothered about fps or settings and enjoy the games as they come. This is why I mainly game on console now. When I had the desktop I would spend more time tweaking and worrying about settings that I never really played the games much....

The 960m does a decent job with 1080p things look a bit better as its a 15" screen so you can use less AA to help with frame rate if needed. All the games I have played run well not as good as they did on my G752 with 980m but this cost nearly 3x as much and was huge heavy beast.

I'm far more impressed with the Dell than pretty much any other laptop I have tried in the last year or so. I have nothing to really moan about which is unusual for me. Tbh my biggest complaint is the annoying blue light on the power lead but a bit of leccy tape soon sorted that. I would like a drive activity light for no other reason than I like a flashy light telling me it's still doing something.....

Just grab one whilst they are cheap and see how you go. Dell do free returns if you do not like but I'm pretty sure you will.

Best thing I did for my gaming was to not be bothered about fps or settings and enjoy the games as they come. This is why I mainly game on console now. When I had the desktop I would spend more time tweaking and worrying about settings that I never really played the games much....

The 960m does a decent job with 1080p things look a bit better as its a 15" screen so you can use less AA to help with frame rate if needed. All the games I have played run well not as good as they did on my G752 with 980m but this cost nearly 3x as much and was huge heavy beast.

I'm far more impressed with the Dell than pretty much any other laptop I have tried in the last year or so. I have nothing to really moan about which is unusual for me. Tbh my biggest complaint is the annoying blue light on the power lead but a bit of leccy tape soon sorted that. I would like a drive activity light for no other reason than I like a flashy light telling me it's still doing something.....

Just grab one whilst they are cheap and see how you go. Dell do free returns if you do not like but I'm pretty sure you will.

Thanks for that, Moogleys.

I do think I'm sold on it, been checking out videos of the laptop playing the games I'd play and seems to cope pretty well and that was pretty much my only concern, now that's been put to bed, I don't really see not to get it.

Finally pulled the trigger on one of these tonight. My 8 year old laptop hasn't been usable for quite some time, and I'm interested in replacing my desktop as I'm going overseas for a few months! Hopefully this will hit the spot.

Well, so far so good. The wife seems rather pleased with the new toy. I've not had much chance to properly put it's through it's paces yet.

For the hell of a random figure, it pulled 4077 out on firestrike standard. Was unplugged at the start of that though so might give it another run to be sure as it likely had something turned down while on batteries. Will have another 8GB memory, be running DDR properly (comes as single stick) and have a decent SSD shortly so that may well creep up a few more points.

I noticed that this laptop has an intel graphics driver as well as the nvidia driver. Shouldn't the intel graphics driver be uninstalled and the onboard GPU disabled or it will conflict with the Nvidia card?

Also, how can you tell if you got the LG screen or the other one? :p

Last edited:
I noticed that this laptop has an intel graphics driver as well as the nvidia driver. Shouldn't the intel graphics driver be uninstalled and the onboard GPU disabled or it will conflict with the Nvidia card?

I've got a similar laptop and you can dictate which GPU is used in each application in the Nvidia drivers. No conflicts for me so far.

No both should be installed it uses Optimus to switch between the GPU's. You cannot disable the onboard GPU. The 960M is used when Optimus detects a high GPU load like gaming.

Ok - those that added an M.2 SSD...

How do you switch the bios to use it as boot (after cloning)? With both drives in it uses the old drive (fine) but once I get into the UEFI bios the only option is "windows boot loader" or IPV4/IPV6. Adding an option seems to not work. Want's some kind of file.

My first system with above windows 7 so it'll likely be obvious at some point. I've definitely cloned the system drive correctly. How do I tell the machine to boot off it now? Something in the shift+restart options or something in bios I'm missing?

Edit: answered my own. So I go to "add boot option". Point it at the SSD, point it at (a directory called) EFI, then windows and it picks up efix64.efi (or something similar). Give it a name. Set that as boot option #1. Worked a treat, removed the old windows drive and still works a treat. Left the recovery partition and other bits on the second drive, I'll be able to get at them if I ever need them :) Now boots from cold inside 4 seconds (which even my SSD equipped desktop can't do :p )

Just got the other 8GB stick to add when it arrives (couple of days) and I think this will do her very nicely for a while (assuming it survives!)

Last edited:
I deleted my stock drive when I installed the SSD and did a fresh install with just the SSD installed and a clean copy of Windows. I'm not a fan of cloning drives just my Ocd.

Glad you got it sorted...

I'm eyeing one up depending on what my insurance says about my current laptop which met with an unfortunate end on Wednesday! If they offer me a decent enough cash payment I think I'll grab one - I've been wanting to do a bit more gaming out and about :)

Back
Top Bottom