*NEW* 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 - 7559, i7 6700HQ/GTX960M owners thread

Ok - those that added an M.2 SSD...

How do you switch the bios to use it as boot (after cloning)? With both drives in it uses the old drive (fine) but once I get into the UEFI bios the only option is "windows boot loader" or IPV4/IPV6. Adding an option seems to not work. Want's some kind of file.

My first system with above windows 7 so it'll likely be obvious at some point. I've definitely cloned the system drive correctly. How do I tell the machine to boot off it now? Something in the shift+restart options or something in bios I'm missing?

Edit: answered my own. So I go to "add boot option". Point it at the SSD, point it at (a directory called) EFI, then windows and it picks up efix64.efi (or something similar). Give it a name. Set that as boot option #1. Worked a treat, removed the old windows drive and still works a treat. Left the recovery partition and other bits on the second drive, I'll be able to get at them if I ever need them :) Now boots from cold inside 4 seconds (which even my SSD equipped desktop can't do :p )

Just got the other 8GB stick to add when it arrives (couple of days) and I think this will do her very nicely for a while (assuming it survives!)

Did you do this in the F12 or f2 boot settings (can't remember which button it was) as I was trying to work this out the otherday as ive not even got the hybrid drive in my laptop anymore its now just the SSD 850 EVO 1.0TB, and when i plug my usb powered cooling stand in it and turn the laptop on it boots up showing the dell display logo and just doesn't go till i turn off and turn back on then it'll boot up which seems strange? does it constantly sometimes even without the stand plugged in at all any advice or as i say how I do my boot settings? :)

Boot settings are in the bios under F2 at the Dell logo. Not had the issue you are having on mine..? Sounds like it's failing to pick up something on power up. I would leave the cooler unplugged as its not really needed with this machine.

Last edited:
Just a note to everyone if you download the latest Realtek HD Audio divers there is an option to disable Audio power management for Dell laptops which stops the popping you can get from the speakers....

If you search google for "Realtek HD audio driver" you should find it top of the list. I cannot link as it for some reason does not allow..

I think i'm going to order one of these in 1080 res/screen with the 5400 rpm hdd and 8 Gb RAM.

Can someone post links for the RAM and SSD upgrade available here on Overclockers, please?

Just a note to everyone if you download the latest Realtek HD Audio divers there is an option to disable Audio power management for Dell laptops which stops the popping you can get from the speakers....

If you search google for "Realtek HD audio driver" you should find it top of the list. I cannot link as it for some reason does not allow..

Today I received my i7559 and I have this "issue" too. I think is a great power saver but I don't like that noise.

I have the latest realtek drivers from Dell support site but I don't have the power management tab on dell audio window.

Do I have to download the latest driver from Realtek site? but the driver from realtek site was released on July 2015, and the Dell audio which is a custom version of realtek one is of November 2015 (a newer one).

Are you sure that installing the one from realtek site don't make you lose the dell audio panel, and is replaced with realtek one?

And the final problem is that I heard that using audio drivers not provided by Dell on a i7559 may cause audio problems...

I'm very confused :D

I think i'm going to order one of these in 1080 res/screen with the 5400 rpm hdd and 8 Gb RAM.

Can someone post links for the RAM and SSD upgrade available here on Overclockers, please?

Samsung 120GB 850 M.2 Sata

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-850-evo-series-m.2-120gb-sata-6gbps-solid-state-drive-mz-n5e120bw-hd-202-sa.html

The RAM I used is not available on OCUK but searching for this in google you will find it.

Kingston KVR16LS11/8 RAM 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM 1.35 V, 204-Pin 1.5 V Memory Module

Last edited:
Today I received my i7559 and I have this "issue" too. I think is a great power saver but I don't like that noise.

I have the latest realtek drivers from Dell support site but I don't have the power management tab on dell audio window.

Do I have to download the latest driver from Realtek site? but the driver from realtek site was released on July 2015, and the Dell audio which is a custom version of realtek one is of November 2015 (a newer one).

Are you sure that installing the one from realtek site don't make you lose the dell audio panel, and is replaced with realtek one?

And the final problem is that I heard that using audio drivers not provided by Dell on a i7559 may cause audio problems...

I'm very confused :D

You need to download the latest drivers from Realtek not DELL it's version R2.79.

If you google search "REALTEK HD AUDIO DRIVERS" and download the 64 bit Windows 10 version. After installation you should have an extra icon on the taskbar which is a speaker and it is named Dell Audio. Double clicking on it the power save option is under the advanced tab.

You need to download the latest drivers from Realtek not DELL it's version R2.79.

If you google search "REALTEK HD AUDIO DRIVERS" and download the 64 bit Windows 10 version. After installation you should have an extra icon on the taskbar which is a speaker and it is named Dell Audio. Double clicking on it the power save option is under the advanced tab.

Yes with Dell's version I have that icon but no power management.

I have to prior uninstall Dell's realtek personalized driver before install the Realtek one?

But installing the ones from Realtek site, how they install the Dell Audio if it is a feature of Dell's personalized realtek drivers? or Dell Audio is a chipset based feature.

Thank you!

Yes with Dell's version I have that icon but no power management.

I have to prior uninstall Dell's realtek personalized driver before install the Realtek one?

But installing the ones from Realtek site, how they install the Dell Audio if it is a feature of Dell's personalized realtek drivers? or Dell Audio is a chipset based feature.

Thank you!

The drivers from the realtek site include Dell Audio. Just install them and it will prompt you to uninstall, Re-start and then install the drivers.

The drivers from the realtek site include Dell Audio. Just install them and it will prompt you to uninstall, Re-start and then install the drivers.

Thank you! I'll test if there is appreciable energy saving with this system.

I want also to remark that many ppl says in forums that this noise (clicking sound starting audio and pitched sound for 10 seconds or until you close the app that is playing a sound) is a bug or a hardware failure, and it is not true.

Anyone having problems getting the thanksmum discount code to work? Just says
"The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements." but I cant find any info about what is actually wrong!

Thank you! I'll test if there is appreciable energy saving with this system.

I want also to remark that many ppl says in forums that this noise (clicking sound starting audio and pitched sound for 10 seconds or until you close the app that is playing a sound) is a bug or a hardware failure, and it is not true.

The popping is a bug with the realtek hardware. My G752 and G751 did the same thing. At least with the Dell it can be fixed with a simple driver setting.

No idea on energy saving tbh it's not something I have ever been bothered with I always preference performance over energy saving.

The popping is a bug with the realtek hardware. My G752 and G751 did the same thing. At least with the Dell it can be fixed with a simple driver setting.

No idea on energy saving tbh it's not something I have ever been bothered with I always preference performance over energy saving.

Yes, but for some situations, every watt counts :D I fixed it with that driver.

A last question please. I don't know if it's my appreciation but rebooting takes more time since I updated some drivers.

How many spins do that circular icon when do you click reboot? I say the circle in the windows 10 rebooting screen.

Last edited:
Yes, but for some situations, every watt counts :D I fixed it with that driver.

A last question please. I don't know if it's my appreciation but rebooting takes more time since I updated some drivers.

How many spins do that circular icon when do you click reboot? I say the circle in the windows 10 rebooting screen.

One at most if it shows at all.

Are you using an SSD or the stock SSHD drive. Using an SSD makes a big difference to boot & restart times.

One at most if it shows at all.

Are you using an SSD or the stock SSHD drive. Using an SSD makes a big difference to boot & restart times.

I'm using the stock drive.

I experienced some problems updating intel graphic driver. When the installation asked to reboot, it took a long time in the spinning windows 10 reboot screen and finally bsod, saying someting about driver power state failure. I rebooted and all was okey, but I reinstalled it to make sure all was ok, and another bsod rebooting with no error message. I reinstalled it again without letting the installation reboot (I restarted myself after closing the installer), and all was fine.

I don't know if it is placebo effect, but I think that now takes more time to reboot: 5 spinnings of the circular icon on windows 10 reboot screen.

Back
Top Bottom