New Canon full frame?

Associate
there is a mkii version of the 24-70 too. :)

He is saying if you want a 24-70 to go with your new camera, are you saving any money?

previously.

£1k lens + £2k body

now £2k lens + (possibly...dreaming!) £1k body.

The 24-70 is a lens amongst many others, you only get a small discount when buying it as a 'kit' with the Mark II. I'm not sure many people will buy a Mark II or III as their first lens, odds are they'll have some primes which are better anyway. One wideangle prime and one fixed prime is better than any zoom.

Soldato
The 24-70 is a lens amongst many others, you only get a small discount when buying it as a 'kit' with the Mark II. I'm not sure many people will buy a Mark II or III as their first lens, odds are they'll have some primes which are better anyway. One wideangle prime and one fixed prime is better than any zoom.

What? :confused:

Thats the Mk ii version mate and thats quite a good price on it :D The Mk i is now like trying to find rocking horse **** and the prices are just silly.

Caporegime
Seen such silly pricing lots of times before. Some shops end up selling older versions of lenses or camera for more than the newer versions.

Caporegime
Yep and that is what will kill any entry level FF camera. The 24-70 is the lens most general photographers would want to pair it with. I doubt they would have a bag full of primes to use. The price of that lens just wouldn't encourage many people to make the progression to FF.

The price rumoured for the entry level camera would hook me, the price on the 24-70 mk2 would be the stopping point for me. As I said before I really regret not buying a MK1 24-70 before the MK2 was announced. Hell I've seen them straight swapped 2nd hand for the EFs 17-55 and there used to be half a page of them 6 months ago on TP.

Soldato
Yep and that is what will kill any entry level FF camera. The 24-70 is the lens most general photographers would want to pair it with. I doubt they would have a bag full of primes to use. The price of that lens just wouldn't encourage many people to make the progression to FF.

The price rumoured for the entry level camera would hook me, the price on the 24-70 mk2 would be the stopping point for me. As I said before I really regret not buying a MK1 24-70 before the MK2 was announced. Hell I've seen them straight swapped 2nd hand for the EFs 17-55 and there used to be half a page of them 6 months ago on TP.

I'd love it to be cheaper, but it's already been shown with the 70-200 mkII that a quality lens will sell very well at a premium price. The price of the 70-200 mkII has now dropped to around £1800 from £2499 at release, the 24-70 mkII will do the same.

Soldato
I'd love it to be cheaper, but it's already been shown with the 70-200 mkII that a quality lens will sell very well at a premium price. The price of the 70-200 mkII has now dropped to around £1800 from £2499 at release, the 24-70 mkII will do the same.

will the 24-70 mk2 be as good as the 70-200 though? Also, people who bought a 70-200 are not people who are saving cash buying entry level bodies etc.

The thing is though, FF bodies cannot be used with EF-S lenses and so, your choices of lens are a bit limited

Caporegime
will the 24-70 mk2 be as good as the 70-200 though? Also, people who bought a 70-200 are not people who are saving cash buying entry level bodies etc.

The thing is though, FF bodies cannot be used with EF-S lenses and so, your choices of lens are a bit limited

FF bodies dont need EF-S lenses....never have.

It's not limited, it's just not needed.

Soldato

You use a 70-200 mkII with a 450D...

The MTF charts etc. look good, people are excited about it. We'll see once the reviews start coming out.

There are plenty of other options, Sigma 24-70 HSM is decent as is the Tamron 24-70 VC. There's the older Tamron 28-75 that people like as well.

Caporegime

Yeah I have the 70-200mk2 but when I got it I paid only £200 odd more than what the Mk1 was selling for, sadly the prices have gone back up :(

I understand totally what you are saying, people will pay the premiums but then I doubt these people will bother buying the entry level FF. Myself I just baulk at buying an updated lens for twice the money almost.

I agree in time the price will drop nicely, for me that's when it will be a good time to get a FF entry camera on the market. Not when the most wanted and used lens on it will be £500+ more expensive than the body.

Of course canon know their pricing and market far better than I do, but surely that lens has to come down £700-800 to make it worthwhile against the competitions pricing to go FF?

Its an interesting time definitely, I am very interested now in going FF and can't wait for this FF announcement. I reckon though by the time it's out and available the price gap to getting a 5D3 from kerso/hdew will give me real food for thought on the 5D3. :)

Caporegime
Yeah I understand that :)
If I didn't have to replace my 17-55 with a lens that would cost me an additional £1400 it would have been a no brainer. Even the body price as it stands for the 5D3 from Kerso would be fine but I just can't push out to the lens replacement as well right now :(

Maybe next year, this year I really want to upgrade my speedlite system :)

Back
Top Bottom