New Canon full frame?

Caporegime
Nice, there's always something better on the way though :)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_3d.html

It is a guarantee that canon will soon have to release a high MP Ff camera to compete with the d800, canon landscape togs are already slowly migrating as the 5dmkiii was not the upgraded they needed. The question is will it be a 1Ds4 Or a 3D which is the 5Dmkiii body and a high res sensor. Lots of rmours of 32-40MP, anything n that range is mostly equivalent, the key aspect will be DR and noise.

Caporegime
It will be interesting to see what they take out of the 5D3 to make this happen or what average lens they pair it with in a kit because they can't pair it with a 24-70mk2. As I said before I can't see it happening while the 24-70 is so expensive in comparison to the competition :(

They might positivity the 24-105 but that is still 800 quid. I see canon have a big hole I. Their lens line up of wide to normal/tele cheaper slower aperture FF lenses.

Nikon already had the decent Nikon AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0 for £499.00
Ad have just released the optically very nice Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 G ED VR £429.00 , the latter definitely being the d600 kit lens, costing an extra 300-350 quid, perfect on a 1000-1200 pound camera.

Associate
I honestly thing they have dropped the ball releasing the mk2 before an entry level FF. Even if the body was £1500 (unlikey) it would still make an entry level camera with the mk2 £3500.

I really have no idea what they are playing at with their body range and where every thing will sit. 70D 7D2? and entry level FF.

If you already own the 24-70mk1 then great this entry level FF might be just the thing but it's unlikely you own that lens without previously owning a FF anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean about releasing the 5D Mark II? It's a previous generation full frame: 'The Canon EOS 5D Mark II is a 21.1-megapixel full-frame CMOS digital single-lens reflex camera made by Canon. It succeeds the EOS 5D and was announced on 17 September 2008. On 2 March 2012, Canon announced the camera's successor: the Canon EOS 5D Mark III.' (Wikipedia)

Rumour is the 70D will be the successor to the current 7D. Higher megapixel sensor and faster frame rate than the 7D with an improved body. The entry level full frame may be called the 7D Mark II or they may call it something else. (6D perhaps?) People are starting to speculate Canon will have to up their game and release something like the EOS 3D as the 5D Mark III was a disappointing upgrade to the 5D Mark II for a phenomenal cost. The reduction in price of the Mark II means it's the best value full frame on the market, fantastic build quality, great viewfinder and there's a fantastic range of Canon lenses. Why upgrade to the Mark III and more importantly why buy a camera costing almost double the price of the Mark II?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_3d.html#eos_3_specifications

Last edited:
Soldato
so if you can get the 5d mk2 for 1300 there is no way canon are going to release this lower than that price especially with the inflated new price tag cameras get.

and a ff on a canon budget? what are the likelyhood that it will be able to out match the 5dmk2? just buy that surely. the specs on the OPs post seem to good to be true - Canon would effectively be shooting themselves in the foot releasing a camera like that in the current market.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not sure what you mean about releasing the 5D Mark II?

I was talking about the mk2 24-70 not the 5D2 :p

It's pointless releasing a cheaper FF when they have countered it by discontinuing the cheaper 24-70 and negating any savings with a 2k replacement mk2 24-70 :)

Unless you already have a 24-70mk1 or can pick one up second hand for decent money it's all a bit pointless from my own perspective looking to move from crop to FF :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
so if you can get the 5d mk2 for 1300 there is no way canon are going to release this lower than that price especially with the inflated new price tag cameras get.

and a ff on a canon budget? what are the likelyhood that it will be able to out match the 5dmk2? just buy that surely. the specs on the OPs post seem to good to be true - Canon would effectively be shooting themselves in the foot releasing a camera like that in the current market.

The canon 5dmkii has stopped being produced, it is just left over stock being sold off. The bidet full fame will basically carry on where the 5dmkii left off, probably using the 5dmkiii sensor and AF similar to the 7D, 4 FPS or less, smaller, lighter more plasticky body.

Likewise the Nikon D700 is not reduced anymore, its Old stock.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
The canon 5dmkii has stopped being produced, it is just left over stock being sold off. The bidet full fame will basically carry on where the 5dmkii left off, probably using the 5dmkiii sensor and AF similar to the 7D, 4 FPS or less, smaller, lighter more plasticky body.

source?

i heard canon will continue to produce the 5d2 well after the 5d3 is/was released

Soldato

so are we expecting this to be a tweaked mk2 the with the new sensor? I still dont believe Canon are going to be reasonable here and cost it at current mk2 prices (irrespective of if they are discontinuing or not), and whilst I dont expect to see a mass market FF camera just yet I do think it needs to actually have some sort of decent price regardless of any USP the camera may have.

Associate
so are we expecting this to be a tweaked mk2 the with the new sensor? I still dont believe Canon are going to be reasonable here and cost it at current mk2 prices (irrespective of if they are discontinuing or not), and whilst I dont expect to see a mass market FF camera just yet I do think it needs to actually have some sort of decent price regardless of any USP the camera may have.

'a tweaked mk2 the with the new sensor' sounds very like the Mark III itself. I'd guess it will sit slightly above the new 70D, the only difference being a full frame sensor. The Mark II and the 7D will be deleted. Two highly respected cameras so let's hope Canon gets this right.

Associate
I was talking about the mk2 24-70 not the 5D2 :p

It's pointless releasing a cheaper FF when they have countered it by discontinuing the cheaper 24-70 and negating any savings with a 2k replacement mk2 24-70 :)

Unless you already have a 24-70mk1 or can pick one up second hand for decent money it's all a bit pointless from my own perspective looking to move from crop to FF :)

The 24-70 is a lens not a Mark II

Soldato
Good luck sourcing one, especially at a good price. They are now going for a higher price second hand than they use to be sold at brand new due to the price of the mk ii.

Yeah, they are hard to find. It's quite annoying if you don't have over £2k floating around for a lens :(

Back
Top Bottom