New Canon full frame?

Soldato
Plus given Nikon just brought out the D600 at £2k, I don't think there's really any chance the Canon will come out and much under that, certainly nowhere near the magic £1k mark that these bodies would have to be at to really generate any sales.

Soldato
Plus given Nikon just brought out the D600 at £2k, I don't think there's really any chance the Canon will come out and much under that, certainly nowhere near the magic £1k mark that these bodies would have to be at to really generate any sales.

The D600 is roughly £1350 in the USA though. Can't use UK pricing as any sort of indication of where a product is actually aimed at for a market as we always get shafted, especially for early adopters of tech.

Associate
Well, we'll know all the details tomorrow!

I cant help but feel Canon and Nikon have missed something here with the pricing. The $2099 price will translate to £1900ish like the D600 has for early adopters. This is WAY too close to 5D3 territory if the 11AF point/4.5fps thing is to be believed. I'd rather get a 5D2 if I wanted those specs! Ive got my fingers crossed for surprises....

Caporegime
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/canon-eos-6d-official-specs/

Rumor seems to be finalized, much as predicted earlier, i,e. much less camera (worse AF, probably worse sensor, slower, sinle sd slot, worse video, e.g. no raw out over HDMI, viewfinder only 97%) than the D600 for the same price. Kind of a 5dmk2 in a simpler body.

Underwhelming really, but An Exception must love the 1/8000th shutter:o

Last edited:
Caporegime
Totally underwhelming. 7D af system on a 5d2 sensor/body would have swung it. This is just meh!

I'd rather save longer and just get the 5D3. Direct conversion from $2099 is about £1300, so probably £1500 here. Biggest killer for me is 11 af points. Infact for my uses I'd rather have a 3-4 year old 7D.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow. For something I've been waiting for the past couple of months, Im very disappointed. GPS and Wifi aside, why would anyone pick this up over a now cheaper 5DmkII??? Seriously Canon!! I know its not fair to compare the RRP of this thing to the import cost of a 5DmkIII but that is what everyone will do and its a no brainer on that front (and it wont be available for some time, unlike the D600 which I could probably have by the end of this week if I wanted to).

If the D600 drops in price by a few hundred quid over the next month or so (to create an adequate gap between itself and the D800) then I really think that it, and a Nikon 24-70mm will be the best thing for me :/ ....damn!

...or a 5D3 and second hand 24-70mm mk1...

Soldato
The Canon EOS 6D was just unveiled! This full frame DSLR features a 3.2" touchscreen LCD, WI-FI capabilities and GPS built-in. Even though it is similar to the Canon D60 in size, it will not have a built-in flash nor articulated LCD.

Viewfinder coverage will be approximately 97% and the new AF system will have 11 focusing points with sensitive to -3 EV. The Canon 6D is expected to be priced at $2,099 and start shipping in December 2012.

Detailed features below:
20.2 MP Full frame CMOS sensor
4.5 FPS continuous drive
New AF System with 11 focusing points (center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV)
3.2" Clear View II TFT LCD - Not Touchscreen! (copy and paste fail!)
100-25600 ISO Range, expandable to 50-102400
Maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 sec
Wireless and GPS built-in
Digic 5+ processor
Magnesium alloy / polycarbonate top plate
AE Bracketing: ±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
Exposure compensation: ±5 EV (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
97% Viewfinder coverage
1080P Video (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps)
Storage types: SD, SDHC, SDXC
Weather sealed with Splash and dust resistance
Weight / Size: 770g with battery (1.70 lb) / 5.71 x 4.37 . 2.8"

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248065d8c4

See how it goes when people start using it, I can't say I'll be in a rush to get hold of one...

I guess the wireless and GPS feature may be of interest to some:

Built-in Wireless and GPS
For the ultimate in DSLR connectivity and control, the EOS 6D features a built-in wireless transmitter which allows the camera to share images and video with the user's choice of wireless devices such as select PowerShot cameras, smartphones, or tablets, as well as cloud-based destinations including social networking sites through the Canon iMAGE GATEWAYii iii. A very intuitive and useful wireless feature is the new, free Canon EOS Remote app available for iOS and Android systems which will allow a smartphone or wireless device such as a tablet to remotely connect, control and operate the connected EOS 6Div. This seamless connection and control will open new opportunities for professional photographers shooting weddings or remote wildlife, without the need for tethered operation or accessories.

For on-location shooters, landscape photographers or enthusiast photo travelers, the EOS 6D features a built-in GPS receiver to record longitude, latitude, elevation and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) as EXIF data for seamless geo-tagging while shooting. The GPS coordinates are appended to each image and easily syncs with Canon software or mapping apps on social network sites to show image locations. Use of UTC data allows images to be chronologically mapped and trails plotted and recorded.v

I want to see what this new 11 point AF system performs like over everything else...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom