New car

Soldato
How reliable are these things? Are running costs through the roof on too of 10mpg?
Not brilliantly reliable, though the running costs (brake discs aside) aren't horrific for a performance/luxury car. Relatively speaking, the fuel economy is probably the worst aspect.

daz

daz

Soldato
Nice car. :) As others have said, these have really aged well and you'd struggle to tell that this was nearly a 10 year old car.

Think i'd personally be more minded towards a Maserati GT but the Bentley is still awesome.

Man of Honour
What puts you off them?

Personal subjective stuff in the main, I am not a fan of big coupes for example. I think a big car has advantages around it's ability to take people places and much of that is removed when you remove some doors. I also don't see this as a sensible high mileage car for me. The running costs would be an annoyance as they were on my RS4 when all I do is drive it a long way, get out, meet some people, get in it and drive it home. For that purpose I don't need the performance or brand values offered by the Bentley and a 530D fits that bill perfectly. I also think that Bentley oversteps the image for me too.

I am a huge advocate for driving whatever you want and people who have an issue with that are simplistic morons, for they most certainly are in my experience. But I do think Bentley is very much an old world brand associated with incredible net worth and frankly I don't have that net worth or seek to give the impression I do and I don't think the car is superior to other cars that are significantly cheaper to own and run so see little point in putting up with the image. If the car was expectational and in the range of cars I like I would care nothing about it's image. As it isn't I therefore perhaps consider the image.

As I said it's very subjective stuff and I don't seek to criticise our OP for his car choice and wish him well with it.

Soldato
OP
Personal subjective stuff in the main, I am not a fan of big coupes for example. I think a big car has advantages around it's ability to take people places and much of that is removed when you remove some doors. I also don't see this as a sensible high mileage car for me. The running costs would be an annoyance as they were on my RS4 when all I do is drive it a long way, get out, meet some people, get in it and drive it home. For that purpose I don't need the performance or brand values offered by the Bentley and a 530D fits that bill perfectly. I also think that Bentley oversteps the image for me too.

I am a huge advocate for driving whatever you want and people who have an issue with that are simplistic morons, for they most certainly are in my experience. But I do think Bentley is very much an old world brand associated with incredible net worth and frankly I don't have that net worth or seek to give the impression I do and I don't think the car is superior to other cars that are significantly cheaper to own and run so see little point in putting up with the image. If the car was expectational and in the range of cars I like I would care nothing about it's image. As it isn't I therefore perhaps consider the image.

As I said it's very subjective stuff and I don't seek to criticise our OP for his car choice and wish him well with it.

I think this is an interesting post, I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. For me, I guess a lot of it is sense of occasion and how special it feels. I don't do a lot of driving unlike yourself, so when I do I want there to be something about it that makes me smile which both my cars do at the present moment. I'd also like to experience different types of cars in this league so after 2/3 years I'll consider something else to experience.

Richie, this thread is about the car, not myself so feel free to email me personal questions.

Caporegime
Ok to tell us what you sell? Not the company but just what it is you sell :)

I do find these posts quite funny, as if the OP has found some secret pathway to riches that none of us have any idea exists.

Its quite simple, keep your expenses minimal, work hard and smart, save even harder and presto, there you have it :p

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;25419806 said:
I'm sure Gurdas does as well. Basically, it isn't 'simple' at all, it's actually quite difficult, which is why not everyone manages.

The principles behind doing well and succeeding are still the same either way.

Anyway lets not take this any further and risk ruining the thread.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25419806 said:
I'm sure Gurdas does as well. Basically, it isn't 'simple' at all, it's actually quite difficult, which is why not everyone manages.
I think most people underestimate the sustained and focused effort required to do well. I believe Warren Buffett perhaps said it best with "It is a terrible mistake to sleep walk through life" - unfortunately it's a sad fact that most people do.

Good on gurdas, Phate and anyone else who is determined to succeed. If more people had that attitude, perhaps we'd see more Bentley's rolling around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Nice car Gurdas, only ever been a passenger in one but it was a great place to be.

This would be my reply if I was eloquent enough.

Back
Top Bottom