New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Something is definitely wrong with mine. I don't think it's the monitor though, I think it's something to do with my GPU settings or something else, using VGA/DVI cable for my old monitor, everything looks fine, but if I use a HDMI on that monitor, everything is immediately horrible looking, just as it is with this new Dell. Obviously the Dell doesn't have VGA/DVI, and I'm an absolute noob when it comes to this sort of thing so I really have no idea what I am supposed to do. I'd love some help somehow.. :(

Read another comments about drivers from Dell, have you installed them? Installed your latest GPU drivers also?

Associate
Read another comments about drivers from Dell, have you installed them? Installed your latest GPU drivers also?
Yeah I installed the drivers and reinstalled my GPU drivers also, no change, just appears my other monitor looks great with DVI and looks awful with HDMI/DP, as does my new monitor.

Soldato
Well, I've unboxed and plugged it all in, and first impressions are excellent :D
Granted I've upgraded from a really good monitor, the Dell S2417DG. So I'm used to a high refresh rate and GSync, but this new one doesnt seem to be showing much in the line of flaws, no faulty pixels so far, and whites look good to me, and so does the build quality.

Its not dark enough yet to check for back light bleed, but I love the matt finish of the screen, just like the S2417DG. The colours and blacks seem really good also. Very happy purchase, will see as I spend more time with it :)

Associate
Ended up pulling the trigger on this, can always return it.

Anyone else with a U2715H I would love to know how this compares, if it's better, should I make it my main monitor and U2715H as secondary?! I do a lot of work that requires good colour accuracy but nothing life or death to warrant paying an insane amount.

Associate
Really happy with mine. Colours are a bit oversaturated but my mac seems to compensate for it when I use the Display P3 colour profile. No dead pixels and the IPS glow isn't too bad.. there's quite a bit in the bottom right when the display is black but it's not a deal breaker for me.

One thing that's bugging me is that I can't figure out how to make it run at 165Hz in Windows. I only get the option for 144Hz. I've tried two displayport cables (the one supplied and my previous one) and both are stuck at 144Hz. I've installed the latest driver from Dell's website and updated my GPU drivers... am I missing something in the OSD settings?

Last edited:
Associate
Really happy with mine. Colours are a bit oversaturated but my mac seems to compensate for it when I use the Display P3 colour profile. No dead pixels and the IPS glow isn't too bad.. there's quite a bit in the bottom right when the display is black but it's not a deal breaker for me.

One thing that's bugging me is that I can't figure out how to make it run at 165Hz in Windows. I only get the option for 144Hz. I've tried two displayport cables (the one supplied and my previous one) and both are stuck at 144Hz. I've installed the latest driver from Dell's website and updated my GPU drivers... am I missing something in the OSD settings?
That's weird as it's meant to be a native 165Hz through DP, and 144 for HDMI.

Are you running a dedicated GPU? Tried changing the refresh in their own control panel?

Associate
That's weird as it's meant to be a native 165Hz through DP, and 144 for HDMI.

Are you running a dedicated GPU? Tried changing the refresh in their own control panel?

I have an R9 390. I'm looking through the Radeon software but can't see anything to do with the refresh rate. On the AMD website it says to do it through windows: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-005

Faulty monitor? :confused:

Refresh rate/resolution options:
https://prnt.sc/tup3eu

Also only coming up as 8-bit:
https://prnt.sc/tup45y
tup3eu

Last edited:
Associate
I have an R9 390. I'm looking through the Radeon software but can't see anything to do with the refresh rate. On the AMD website it says to do it through windows: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-005

Faulty monitor? :confused:

Refresh rate/resolution options:
https://prnt.sc/tup3eu

Also only coming up as 8-bit:
https://prnt.sc/tup45y
tup3eu

My options are the same, currently tried it connected to my work laptop (Dell Latitude 7400) it has onboard intel gfx (620) so wasn't sure if that was a limitation. So far have only been able to set 144hz refresh and 8-bit colour, will test more thoroughly with my personal laptop tomorrow

Associate
Got both mine running at 165hz properly now. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU. nVidia only added support for this display in their latest driver.
My issue was nVidia Inspector. I was using multi-display power saver to keep my 1080ti downclocking while idle. Theres a bug with dual displays which keeps the gpu clocks high and therefore temps.
Seems that MDPS conflicts with MSI Afterburner and was also responsible for the flickering.

So yeah flicker free. Unfortunately both my monitors suffer from different coloured ips glow on each side.

Last edited:
Associate
Got both mine running at 165hz properly now. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU. nVidia only added support for this display in their latest driver.
My issue was nVidia Inspector. I was using multi-display power saver to keep my 1080ti downclocking while idle. Theres a bug with dual displays which keeps the gpu clocks high and therefore temps.
Seems that MDPS conflicts with MSI Afterburner and was also responsible for the flickering.

So yeah flicker free. Unfortunately both my monitors suffer from different coloured ips glow on each side.

I'm on AMD and up to date for GPU drivers and Windows updates. I only have this display connected to my graphics card. Perhaps it's an AMD issue. My Radeon software is even saying that the monitor is reporting a max refresh rate of 144Hz:
https://prnt.sc/tur0jc

I'll contact Dell tomorrow as I've tried everything under the sun to get it to 165Hz...

Associate
I have an R9 390.
tup3eu
Does your graphics card actually support displayport 1.4? Its possible if its older it might not have the display bandwidth to actually support up to 165hz.

Just checked. Displayport 1.2a and HDMI 1.4. Thats your issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Does your graphics card actually support displayport 1.4? Its possible if its older it might not have the display bandwidth to actually support up to 165hz.

Just checked. Displayport 1.2a and HDMI 1.4. Thats your issue.

RIP, that'll be it then. Thanks for confirming. I read online that DP 1.2 can do 1440p 165Hz... but that must be for monitors that also have a DP 1.2 port?

144Hz it is until the next upgrade :p

Associate
RIP, that'll be it then. Thanks for confirming. I read online that DP 1.2 can do 1440p 165Hz... but that must be for monitors that also have a DP 1.2 port?

144Hz it is until the next upgrade :p

Its most likely the 10bit part. It should still run 1440p 165hz at 8bit. Not sure about why not above 144hz.

Soldato
I've left most of the settings standard, as I'm not really up to speed on this hdr 8 bit 10 bit stuff. It'll be nice to read some reviews with recommendations on setup. I tried 165hz, but couldn't see any difference from 144hz, so I've left it at that.

Associate
The panel doesnt have any zoning on the backlight and isnt bright enough for HDR. So really no point using that feature.
In regards to 10bit vs 8bit. The only really noticeable place is in gradients which appear much smoother on 10bit due to more colours. Might as well use it with it on.

Back
Top Bottom